• Register Today It's free!

my 4 wheel drive stinks :-(

EliteRaven

Reaction score
City, State
Ravena NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2dr Explorer XL
Hey guys I have a few problems I have had a 92 explorer sport for about a year now and I am trying to fix it up for the winter I have oversized tires on it in case I do a little trailing but my problem is this the four wheel drive will not engage anymore it used to engage after pressing the button a few times but now I can just hear the relay doing its thing but no four wheel. I am at my whits end I went to a garage and they told me to spray the 4 wheel drive motor with wd40 which sounded lame but I tried it and still no go then they told me to tap it with a hammer no help there either. one last thing I am trying to replace my front wheels and the auto locking hubs come off on the wheel and I cant get the succkers out of the wheel is this normal or am I being crapped on by the explorer god?

ER

In regards to the shift motor on the transfer case. Just refer the page below. That should fix your problem. If not, you have bigger issues that I don't know about.

Dead Link Removed

Secondly, do you mean the front wheel bearings? And what do you mean by the auto hubs? Just the cover? If you have just taken off the cover than you still have ways to go and I would consult a Haynes or Chiltons manual. If you have taken the spindle nut off, the outer wheel bearings should come out with just a little persuasion.

I am actually in the process of changing out the ball joints and doing a manual hub conversion on my Ex right now. My transfer case isn't engaging either so I ended up "rebuilding" the shift motor. (Pics coming.) I haven't tested it yet, but the contacts in the motor were black. Nothing a little 409/contact cleaner and Q-tips couldn't fix. Hope this helps.

Back