My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap

It's the original T45. But 3rd gear is almost gone. I think it's a bad shift fork.

I'm swapping in a T56 6spd from a Cobra. Still have to find a crossmember, shifter, etc.

Have thought about putting a automatic in it 4r75w

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The time has finally come. Engine build begins this weekend! Now have all the parts for my shortblock.

5.4L Ford Racing block
5.4L crankshaft from F150
CP Pistons and rings
Manley H beam rods
Clevite bearings

Once that's done, I can order the Whipple 2.3 for the 5.4 3v motor.

Have also realized I need to do a battery relocation to the passenger side in order to make this work properly. The inlet for the blower is on the driver side so I need that space for the air filter. I hate to mess with the wiring, but it appears to be a necessity.

hmm... wonder if you could do a 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine, say from a GT500?

hmm... wonder if you could do a 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine, say from a GT500?

anything is possible. But I chose the 5.4 3v because our trucks already have a 3v engine with variable cam timing. easy for the computer to understand the change in displacement. And there's a supercharger kit for a 5.4 3v available.

The new 5.4L shortblock is complete! Finished her up today.

54pistons_rods.jpg

54pistons_rods2.jpg

shortblock1.jpg

shortblock2.jpg

shortblock3.jpg

Yummy, engine ****! :p:

What kind of hp/tq numbers do you think it will put out?

What kind of hp/tq numbers do you think it will put out?

Well that's the part I'm worried about. I may be building it too big for the trans to hold up. So I'm going conservative on the tuning.

Should make 550-600 to the wheels, and that's through an automatic which loses more. The torque is what will be unreal. Probably 600-650 in TQ with the big 5.4L.

I know what my Lightning used to feel like with only 400hp/500tq with basic mods, and it felt strong when you nailed it in second gear. The ST is the same weight as a Lightning, so with 550/650... good god, I can only imagine the smile on passenger's faces. lol

I'm starting out small to see what it does on about 12 psi. Then once I'm confident that it won't blow the Sport Trac trans or rearend to shreds, I'll upgrade the throttlebody from stock, put an electric fan on it to reduce drag, turn up the boost to 14-15, and let it rip!

Looks sweet, very sweet,

Are they putting your trans in the Raptor I think they are so I think they MAY hold that kind of power.

looking good so far keep up good work

THAT...IS...BEAUTIFUL!!!

I subscribed just for this thread and can't wait for the progress. Wow, I'm green with envy!

Keep up the great work and for gods sake keep the updates coming!

Steve

THAT...IS...BEAUTIFUL!!!

I subscribed just for this thread and can't wait for the progress. Wow, I'm green with envy!

Keep up the great work and for gods sake keep the updates coming!

Steve
Ha! Thanks!:D
Now.... what is that Loomis armored truck driver's schedule again... Hmmm.... I need a bag of cash.

What is your timeline like now...when should it be done?

Interesting thread....Think I want to eventually do an Alluminum stroker/heads/cams package.

What is your timeline like now...when should it be done?

Interesting thread....Think I want to eventually do an Alluminum stroker/heads/cams package.

The plan is to order the S/C kit right after christmas. Still have to upgrade the fuel pumps and move the battery. Figuring the engine should be running by early Feb. Will get some break-in miles on her, and hit the dyno by mid-Feb. Hopefully I can keep that schedule.

If you need a modular engine built, that's what I do full time now. This STA build will help me promote my business long term.

A 5.0 stroker 3v mod motor in an aluminum block would be NICE. Big weight savings too. And you can still use your 4.6 intake.

Sliding in to check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff - :navajo:

How easily could this be done to a V6 ST?

I swapped vehicles with the wife so she could have the 3rd row seat since we have another kid on the way.

So now I am Driving the 07 ST with a V6, I love the truck, but the power is not there like my 4.6L Ex.

I was thinking back to this thread while driving the other day and trying to think if this could be done?

What would have to be changed/replaced?
-electronics?
-Engine mounts?
-Tranny

If I did this, I would keep it pretty much as a stock 5.4L probably with just a CAI.

OR would it be easier to do a 4.6L.... I am just looking at getting a boat down the road, and will want to be able to tow it with the ST or the X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is so SICK I have always wanted a S/T but this is going to be beyond lightening status in power. I love what your doing. I will keep checking this thread. Keep up the good work

Back