My 97 Explorer won't start when facing downhill and with less than a quarter tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 97 Explorer won't start when facing downhill and with less than a quarter tank

CommandD

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limitet
It has been this way since I bought it. When this happens I have to roll down the hill to a flat part and then is starts fine.

My sister-in-law has the same problem with her Eddie Bauer (mine is a Limited, by the way) and I am wondering if this is a common problem and whether there is any way to fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel pump pickup is at the back of the tank. gas is sloshed to the front. stop running around with a nearly empty tank, it's bad for the fuel pump anyhow. you're car will use the same amount of fuel weither you keep the tank full, or nearly empty anyhow. so refill it before it hits 1/4 tank.

Have you added a fuel cleaner like 44K to the tank? When was the last time (if ever) that the fuel filter was changed? That might be a part of the problem as well.

Have you added a fuel cleaner like 44K to the tank? When was the last time (if ever) that the fuel filter was changed? That might be a part of the problem as well.

I have never used a fuel cleaner before. What is that for.

I have had the fuel filter changed before.

There isn't a problem, just keep your tank full, you'r ruining your fuel pump by trying to get every last drop out.
I wait until I have a 1/4 tank, then I fill up and check my gas mileage.:thumbsup:

you didn't indicate what kind of grade that you are talking about. IF you are having a problem with a very steep grade, then the solutions posted (ie. "don't do that on a empty tank") are likely valid. However, if you are having the problem on a very light grade, then you likely have an issue inside your tank.

Back