My 98 Explorer is running rough. Please help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 98 Explorer is running rough. Please help.

plasmadeb

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
changed plugs, wires pcv, egr fuel filter runs terrible.... no better just noticed a red hot catalytic converter underneath????could this be the issue, just bought this truck and someone elses headaches but we are deteremined to correct this any ideas????????:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Elaborate on running rough?

I would always do the cheapest step first, looks like you missed it. Get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF, see if that does anything.

CAT could also be clogged.

Not sure if this is related, but years ago I owned a 1989 Buick Skylark with a 4 cyl engine. It began running very rough. I looked underneath and saw the catalytic converter glowing like a charcoal briquet.
I ultimately found that the Buick's engine had two coil packs. Each coil pack fired two spark plugs. One of the coil packs had failed, so only two of the engine's cylinders were getting spark. Just imagine, half of the gas was not being burned in the engine and the cat had to try to burn off all that raw fuel.
Amazing the car ran on two cylinders and that the car didn't catch on fire.
I'm not a tech, but I'd check to see if I had spark on every cylinder before putting more money into unneeded parts. It may be a similar issue like my old Buick.

Back