Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speakers.JPG
Tunes

Speakers

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

new times

Well the weight is down to about 4300 even, 4500 with me in it though! Time to put me on a diet! New Quarter mile time = 14.7
Maybe next time I will remove the spare, tools, and Speakers.

Yea spare tools and Speakers prolly at the least a hundred pounds

60 ft time

My 60 ft time was 2.073

Not terrible... you may want to get some sportier tires so they grip a little better the street tires your on probably spin like mad even with all four going. and taking the subs out will get you some weight, if you're serious about your track time, you could get as technical as techieman and pull your back seats/passenger seat. back carpet, jack, spare, subs, and only have what gas you need in the truck.

you could also do a transfer-case swap to get two wheel drive. this would cost money to drop your time, but it would also give you better energy transfer to the ground. I'm not exactly sure if pulling the front DS would accomplish the same thing, but you could always search on that. These are also the only options if you want to keep the 4x4

Justin

I can testify that switching to a 2wd setup will save you a lot of weight. The differential is called a "pig" for a reason. :D

well i have a 89 T Bird Super Coupe sitting in ga in my back yard with a Blown bottom end , is it worth it to strip it and try to retrofit it on my 91 v6 , or should i sell the parts ?

no title

@ Bruce'sexpo... How much money and time do you have? If you have enough of both an eaton m90 makes any underhood scene better!

@ MrQ and 97sprt4x4,
I know what your are saying, I have a spare transfer case in the garage that I have to move out of my way once in a while.That thing weighs a ton.
I dont want to get rid of 4x4 though, and I especially love the automatic 4x4 in these explorers. I have no wheel slip at all at the track. Once I was breaking the rear tires loose and I found a bad transfer case sensor and fixed it. I also drive this thing 40 miles to work quite often when the weathers nice (I hate washing automobiles) so everything is functional right now like AC etc. I am into engine performance so I will probably work on making more horsepower rather than taking alot of stuff off. I just got to get the intake temps down. Soon it may be intercooler time. I may try some 235/75/15's I have on one of my trucks, I am curious how it would react with lighter and smaller diameter wheels/tires.

@ Bruce'sexpo... How much money and time do you have? If you have enough of both an eaton m90 makes any underhood scene better!

, I Dont Have Much Time , but i do have some money , i know the bottom end is Trashed on the SC but i was wondering if the intakes are similar , i know you have knowledge in this field and was just wondering , sorry to ***** up your thread

@ MrQ and 97sprt4x4,
I am into engine performance so I will probably work on making more horsepower rather than taking alot of stuff off. I just got to get the intake temps down. Soon it may be water to air intercooler time. I may try some 235/75/15's I have on one of my trucks, I am curious how it would react with lighter and smaller diameter wheels/tires.

You may want to do headers if you haven't already, i think I've read that our manifolds are good to like 400 hp but you seem to be nearing that area, and it couldn't hurt to play make the truck breathe easier especially since you're pounding air down its throat.

as for the tires, it will accelerate quicker, but top out at a lower speed, might be a way drop your 60' time, however i would be careful about what tires you use, like i said before, you may want to try to find some mustang rims and get some H or V rated tires, (like a 255/60R17 or the likes) especially if you're going to a smaller tire as it will possibly make you spin off the line because of less meat to rotate.

Water to air inter-cooler sounds good, from what I've heard the inter-cooler part it self is pretty cheap but the spray systems are expensiveeeeeeeeee. I've also heard that an inter-cooler is less effective on a super charger because the air is at ambient temp as to a turbo which is hotter because of the exhaust. just a thought on that.

In anycase, i'm jealous, i wish i could supercharge my truck. keep it up :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Justin

DSC06175.JPG
DSC06185.JPG
new pics

Newest Pics

lookin good u should get a sound clip

Intake

The Intake only looks stock. Its 3 inch inside diameter from throttle body to maf housing. Maf housing is 75mm which is just about 3 inches also. The air filter box has had the maf hole enlarged to match, then I have the right front fog light hole as my cold air intake, there is more 3 inch pipe going from there to the air filter box through a hole that didnt use to be there. It kinda works like ram air to the air filter. The only thing stock is the air filter itself, maybe I should get a K&N filter to throw in there. There are some pics of the home made cold ram air earlier on in this thread.
I just got a SPAL fan controller for my electric fan, I didn't like the surge when the original flexalite fan controller kicked on(it only had one speed).
The SPAL controller has PWM which varys fan speed and current draw.
Hope to have time to install soon.:burnout:

Maple Grove Raceway and UTI

Staas (Gloucester City, N.J.) took the final in the UTI Student race by hitting his dial-in by a razor-thin .01, running 14.813 at 88.92 in a ’98 Explorer to defeat Phil Olesh (Phillipsburg, N.J.) who ran 13.661 at 107.20.

Attachments

• UTI600.jpg
    UTI600.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 900

M112 installed.JPG
Changes

Made some changes to the explorer.
Removed m90, installed intercooled M112 Thanks to rpcaster.
Made lots of modifications since the M90 came off. This years best time run was 14.01. Will be making some more changes in the future.
rpcaster's new site.
Home
Check it out man!

Weight

@keeper0311
Thanks!
I may start removing heavy parts one day, heck I still have back seats,air conditioning etc.

Video Clip

Back