Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PS Pulley

I hope they didn't mix the front and back sides of the pulley. lol.
I should have mine Friday.

Edit: They fit perfectly

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I hope they didn't mix the front and back sides of the pulley. lol.
I should have mine Friday.

It just looks odd when looking at it and the stock engine. I hope I can get to pulling the belt from my SOHC today to check it.

8 Rib Pulleys on a 4.0 SOHC

The 8 rib pulleys showed up Thursday, so yesterday I took pictures.
Last night I put them on, finished real late so I have not run the truck yet.
Order: Crank Pulley, Water Pump, Power Steering.
ASP did a great job making these pulleys, they fit perfect and look like high quality components.
Crank Pulley 1.jpg
Crank Pulley 2.jpg
Crank Pulley 3.jpg
Water Pump 1.jpg
Water Pump 2.jpg
Water pump 3.jpg
Power Steering 1.jpg
Power Steering 2.jpg
Power Steering 3.jpg
DSC03711.jpg

Belt

That belt looks hideous doesn't it?
I will be looking into different belts in the future.
Finding 8 rib belts is not as easy as 6 rib. I am trying to stay with sizes that are common.
I could not get this belt on with the 2.7 inch pulley that I had switched back to so I put the 2.5 inch on. I will attempt to stretch the belt in and try again later today. If that doesn't work I will look for a slightly smaller Idler pulley.

Power Steering Pulley

I emailed ASP to see if they will have a part number or something else to reference. I will post it when I get a response.

You may want to check with Jon Smith to see if his fit properly on his 5.0 first.

looking at rock autos page the pulleys for both SOHC and 5L have the same part numbers, so i would have to think it will work

Pulley

looking at rock autos page the pulleys for both SOHC and 5L have the same part numbers, so i would have to think it will work

Just a precaution.

My Explorer has a Black Belt

I ran the truck to day with the new pulleys and 8 rib belt, using the 2.5 inch pulley. Everything seems to be just right, and no slippage. I beat on it for a while to stretch the belt in and then tried to put the 2.7 inch pulley on.
The green belt which is a K081025HD does not fit with the 2.7 inch pulley on, but it fits perfect with the 2.5 inch pulley.
As a side note the K081025HD is for a 2014 Freightliner 108SD according to eBay.

I had another belt which is a Dayco 5081035(would be a K081035 in Gates), so I tried it out. It fits perfectly with the 2.7 inch pulley.... and its black.
5081035 fits a 1994-97 International Harvester 4700 according to eBay.
Black Belt.jpg

Newer Style Belt Tensioner

I changed the alternator bracket on my Explorer to be able to go with the newer style belt tensioner. It has more clearance for the 8 rib belt.
The bracket I got was for a mustang, the threaded bolt hole location for the back alternator bolt was not correct. I drilled another hole in the bracket and put a longer bolt with a nut and lock washer on it. It works for now but I will probably just get a bracket off an Explorer that uses the new style tensioner.
I think a 2,000 model year will work.

In the third and fourth pictures below you can see the molded stop that the belt may have come in contact with.

I also removed the plastic 6 rib pulley that came with the tensioner and installed the aluminum 8 rib one I got from Thumper Racing.
1 Older Style Tensioner.jpg
2 Newer Style Tensioner.jpg
3 Molded Stop.jpg
4 Old Tensioner.jpg
5 New Tensioner.jpg
6 New Tensioner small pulley.jpg

Awesome job!
I really struggled with bad alignment and adding a second tensioner on my 4.0 ohv with the m90. My fabrication skills really suck, so I can really appreciate what you have done here.

pulleys

Thanks Dono!
This is something I have wanted to do for years.

Thanks to JD for the heads up on ASP Racing being able to make pulleys for the 4.0.

Going to torture test it tomorrow at Atco Raceway, weather permitting.

Going to torture test it tomorrow at Atco Raceway, weather permitting.

I'm sure we can all hardly wait for the results. This will be a huge learning thing for all of us. Tim will be looking to follow suit after tomorrow.

On a side note, I kinda liked that green belt.

Belts

Have you seen the blue racing ones? I like the looks of them better. I don't see them in my size though.

I don't expect to beat the 12.83 I ran this year, but who knows, maybe if it is still cold enough to pack some dense air in my engine.

Your pretty much at that point where every 10th of a second requires a lot of work from the sounds of things. It truly is 'mission accomplished' with your truck. Who gets a 12.8 quarter out of a 3300 (or is it 3700) lb vehicle on a 4 litre motor? Seriously.

weight

4410 last time I weight it with me in it.
might be back up to about 4460 with the new "trunk" in the back.

I thought I might be finished with power upgrades this year, but I am having second thoughts on that.

Heads are the most expensive parts I have thought about putting on the Explorer($2,200). I may just order a set and store them until I get pistons and rods that can handle more abuse. The pistons and rods would be about $1,400.00

When Income tax returns come in I may go Explorer shopping, if nothing unforeseen happens first.

Your pretty much at that point where every 10th of a second requires a lot of work from the sounds of things. It truly is 'mission accomplished' with your truck. Who gets a 12.8 quarter out of a 3300 (or is it 3700) lb vehicle on a 4 litre motor? Seriously.

dons got a good point here. no only did you manage the impossible, but you did it in a take thats shaped like a loaf of bread using a motor that shouldnt do this in a soccer mom truck. back in the day i had a buddy with a street driven mustang that me managed to get in the 9's (and i remember when i he first bought it he used it to deliver pizza in it, and parked on the street in the winter in a snowbank) had told me once he hit the low 13 high 12 mark it didnt matter what he did, it was like hitting a brick wall. not until he dung deep in his pockets he just couldnt go any faster. granted this was back in the mid to late 90's but still. when i tell a few buddys up here that i know i guy in the states that has a 12 sec 2 door explorer that has a supercharged v6 in it, they look at me and think im full of it

Really Nice Work and I dig the green belts!!

Belts

Thanks!
That's two for the green belts! LOL

The 8 rib pulleys passed the torture testing today. No problems with them at all.
The black belt stretched in a little.
I did not run the 2.5 inch pulley (with the green belt) because it was not safe.
I saw very high boost(almost 20lbs) with the 2.7, a little detonation, and some shifting problems again today.

It was so cold no one could get traction, cars were spinning wheels like crazy. So was I, and when I do, the transmission doesn't like to shift correctly and bounces off the rev limiter.

Got six runs in, best time was 12.90

Back