Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New Dyno run

Dyno Run with new intake

Attachments

• Dyno 3-22-2013.jpg
    Dyno 3-22-2013.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 558

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just a new intake? That's amazing. The power gained in the curve? Tuning do that? Your motors making unbelievable power.

Intake

The Intake is 4 inches inside diameter to match the throttlebody and plenum now. The previous one was 3 inch and was restrictive.Thats where the power came from. These superchargers are very sensitive to the inlet side.
I used a GT500 sensor and Maf housing(cut a bit off it), a 135 degree elbow from ebay, and a home depot sewer pipe. Boost is about 15 lbs.

whats all done to the motor and exhaust?

Motor

Motor is bone stock internals, 104,000 miles when I got the truck from a junkyard for a 1000.00 and put the first supercharger on it. About 124,000 on it now.

Exhaust is JBA headers (put on last december). Stock pipes and cats.
The stock muffler had two 2 inch inlets and one 2 inch outlet. I now have a flowmaster truck muffler with two 2.5 inch inlets and one 3inch outlet. I am sure that 2.5 inch highflow cats and pipes would go great between the headers and muffler.

Whats making it go fast is 15 lbs of boost made possible by rpcastor at www.bansheesupercharger.com via an intercooled M112 off a lightning and one of his custom intake manifolds.

15 psi of boost.......on a stock sohc......wow. thats impressive. i would have figured the bottom end would have said "thats it! im OUTTA HERE".

I think that motor is holding that sc back a lot.a m112 should produce way more than that..the hp to pound of boost is not that good at all, around 5-6hp per pound.a m112 should produce around 13-15+ hp per pound of boost easily. Think i made around 11hp per lb with m90, to me that 15 lbs is deceiving because its so restrictive..15 lbs on a m112 should add around 230 hp to whatever a stock sohc puts down..just facts not trying to be negative. .

outahere

15 psi of boost.......on a stock sohc......wow. thats impressive. i would have figured the bottom end would have said "thats it! im OUTTA HERE".

Me too.
This is the little engine that could....

I think that motor is holding that sc back a lot.a m112 should produce way more than that..the hp to pound of boost is not that good at all, around 5-6hp per pound.a m112 should produce around 13-15+ lbs per pound of boost easily. Think i made around 11hp per lb with m90, to me that 15 lbs is deceiving because its so restrictive..15 lbs on a m112 should add around 130 hp to whatever a stock sohc puts down..just facts not trying to be negative. .

Stock 4.0 sohc is 210 HP at crank.
minus 20% at wheels would be 168 HP

I have 285 HP at wheels
aprox 340HP at crank

Thats 130 HP more at crank with 15 lbs.

Whats your truck put down?

Stock 4.0 sohc is 210 HP at crank.
minus 20% at wheels would be 168 HP

I have 285 HP at wheels
aprox 340HP at crank

Thats 130 HP more at crank with 15 lbs.

Whats your truck put down?
I meant 230ish......285-168=117/15=7.8 hp per lb of boost.that's very low for a m112

What I put down was killed by my 36x14.50 tires that weigh 135 lb EACH..they are eating about 60-80hp.this will be documented by dyno when I put the motor into the ranger.but if you wanna go off my number from my mud truck they are

Ohv 160 crank.128 ground stock.
I put down 207hp that's 248 hp crank at 9lbs. 207-128=79/9=8.7 hp per lb of boost......again these numbers are LOW because of my tires, also had an alternator blow up on the dyno so the last two runs I ran was at 10volts and I had a TONNNNNN of belt slip then...

Just saying I think if you open that motor up you will be killing it!!! Well over 300hp.either way 285 is sick in a explorer;)

Im super impressed. Who gets that kind of power out of a junk yard sohc explorer without touching the internals on the motor?

We all cry about how weak the auto trans is, and how the sohc has timing chain issues. This proves hands down that Ford did somethings pretty well with this motor and trans.

I'm sure 4pointslow did a fantastic job of tuning to keep this package holding together. Really, to beat on your truck like you have and still be ready to race again is fantastic. Who does this and gets away with it?

If the motor finally lets go, it will be decision time....rebuild motor with the full meal deal or not?

Omg

I meant 230ish......285-168=117/15=7.8 hp per lb of boost.that's very low for a m112

What I put down was killed by my 36x14.50 tires that weigh 135 lb EACH..they are eating about 60-80hp.this will be documented by dyno when I put the motor into the ranger.but if you wanna go off my number from my mud truck they are

Ohv 160 crank.128 ground stock.
I put down 207hp that's 248 hp crank at 9lbs. 207-128=79/9=8.7 hp per lb of boost......again these numbers are LOW because of my tires, also had an alternator blow up on the dyno so the last two runs I ran was at 10volts and I had a TONNNNNN of belt slip then...

Just saying I think if you open that motor up you will be killing it!!! Well over 300hp.either way 285 is sick in a explorer;)

36 inch tires! Damn! I would like to see what your truck can do with some smaller lighter tires.
Your putting that motor in a ranger, what are you putting in the Explorer?
The M112 spins faster on a lightning, they have bigger crank pulleys.And aftermarket bigger crank pulleys.
supersix motor sports has cams and stage 3 heads for this 4.0 SOHC. They also have a nice set of pistons too. Maybe when I blow this engine up.

36 inch tires! Damn! I would like to see what your truck can do with some smaller lighter tires.
Your putting that motor in a ranger, what are you putting in the Explorer?
The M112 spins faster on a lightning, they have bigger crank pulleys.And aftermarket bigger crank pulleys.
supersix motor sports has cams and stage 3 heads for this 4.0 SOHC. They also have a nice set of pistons too. Maybe when I blow this engine up.

Yea the sc motor is coming out and going in the ranger plus some new custom goodies.the ranger has the same motor, 4.0 ohv but its a 5 speed.the stock oh will be going into the explorer.

Asp can make you a larger crank pulley for $250.that's what I'm doing, It will make my two pulleys 10Lbs and 14 Lbs, instead of what they are now 6Lbs and 10lbs

The bottom end of these 4.0 are VERY strong, so bet it wont be blowing anytime soon.I would be saving for those stage 3 heads..that would be freaking crazy with a m112!!!!!:D

Asp?

@JD4242
Do you have asp's website address?
Googling ASP doesn't bring me any good results.

I was also looking at
http://www.stiegemeier.com/
They can drill the supercharger rotors and put an overdrive gear setup in the M112
And of course some supercharger porting.

@JD4242
Do you have asp's website address?
Googling ASP doesn't bring me any good results.

I was also looking at
http://www.stiegemeier.com/
They can drill the rotors and put an overdrive gear setup in the M112
And of course some supercharger porting.

You have to call them.think you should have a 6" crank.your have to measure how much bigger you can go before you hit the water pump.i did it to help with belt slip and build boost.i think the charger is fine, that motor needs to breath.that's where huge gains will be.m112 is sick!!! I run the gm m90 and they are in the process of making a tvs adapter; )

http://autospecialties.com/

5R55E transmission reverse problem

So quite a few months ago I developed a problem with reverse. It wouldn't go in reverse when cold, and was slow going in when warm. I passed it up as a defective o ring on the reverse servo. There is a D ring made for these transmissions to eliminate fluid leaks past the servo. Being very busy I let it go. Besides I had a race coming up at Maple Grove and couldn't have the transmission apart when I needed the truck for the second of two races I just have to attend. So I drove it that way for a while. My other explorer is a 4 door, same year,same 4.o sohc and 5R55E but it has 230,558 miles. The reverse band broke a week before race day so in the garage it went and the supercharged Explorer was put outside for a week till race day. On race day I drove 60 miles to the track. I had two time trials, then two rounds where I red lighted in the second round. Drove it home 60 miles. The 4 door was still in the garage with the transmission out. I moved the Supercharged Explorer into the street after two days and was driving my 2000 ranger. The next Sunday after the race I noticed a stain under the SC Ex. Turns out the clip for one of the side servo covers came loose and the servo started leaking. I put a new clip on after pushing the servo cover back in and no more leak. Funny thing is the reverse problem went away immediately which tells me that was the cause all along. And it didn't blow out at the racetrack. That amazes me. Automotive guardian angles are at work here I believe.

Attachments

• DSC08732.jpg
    DSC08732.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 395

bad servo clip

. . . It wouldn't go in reverse when cold, and was slow going in when warm. . . Turns out the clip for one of the side servo covers came loose and the servo started leaking. I put a new clip on after pushing the servo cover back in and no more leak. . .

Thanks for sharing the symptoms and the cause. I'll add the clip to my things to check list.

Dynojet results

I was looking at the Dynoject results you posted earlier (#81) and noticed the same oddity on yours as mine. The run shows SAE correction factor but the torque and power curves look like they would cross at about 5150 rpm instead of the theoretical 5252 rpm. That's much better than on my last run where they crossed at 4675 rpm. Do you have any insight on the deviation from theoretical?

I also noticed that your torque was greater than 300 ft-lbs at 2700 rpm and peaked at 4000 rpm. Your M112 has a larger displacement than my M90 and we have the same size (2.7") blower pulley. I'm hoping for 250 ft-lbs at 2700 rpm and maybe as low as 2500 rpm but only a max boost of 8 psi. At what rpm range is detonation prone to occur in your setup?

Back