Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

detonation

When tuning I backed off timing to have a "buffer" to protect against engine damage. After getting the A/F where desired I increased the timing till I saw the first signs of the knock sensor pulling anything out. The last time was around 3900 rpm but keep in mind I always build off previous tunes and I have experimented with thousands due to always changing something. I am very disorganized when it comes to saving tunes and datalogs also, it is something I need to work on.
You lost me with the "theoretical" thing. Where are you getting that number from? I super imposed Torque and HP and they cross at 5250 rpm.
I was looking at the write up you started with your supercharger install and it is looking great, very professional. Cant wait to see more, keep it coming.
Now that I finished the transmission in my 4 door I have more reading time!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i was looking over page 5. now i have to figure out what i have done wrong. your pulling more power, and the same amount of torque as my v8 m90 is.

power vs torque

. . . After getting the A/F where desired I increased the timing till I saw the first signs of the knock sensor pulling anything out. The last time was around 3900 rpm . . . You lost me with the "theoretical" thing. Where are you getting that number from? I super imposed Torque and HP and they cross at 5250 rpm. . .

Thanks for the info. James will be doing my tune. Eventually I hope to purchase the software package to try "tinkering" on my own. I wonder if the intercooler will alter things much.

There is a formula to calculate power from torque:

HP = TORQUE x RPM ÷ 5252

That means the curves should cross at 5252 rpm. Yours is correct but mine are off.

Hp

i was looking over page 5. now i have to figure out what i have done wrong. your pulling more power, and the same amount of torque as my v8 m90 is.

Remember the 4.0 sohc and the 5.0 push rod motors didn't have that great a difference in HP and Torque when they were stock. How much boost are you running? I am running around 14lbs. I have an intercooler also. Then there is the M112 which flows more, My throttle body is a single blade with a huge inside diameter made for the Lightning. I am using a lightning plenum also.
JBA headers and a flowmaster too to get that flow out of the engine.

its around 9lbs of boost. headers, stock exhaust with a flowmaster, 42lb injectors, 90mm mass air meter, walbrow 255 pump, fox body mustang stock cam, played with the heads and intake, and a bigger intake elbow. i tried putting a 75mm throttle body on there, but the truck didnt like it, so the stocker went back on.

4pointslow, you really set the standard we are looking at. Congratulations!
I've been watching for updates. Great to see them.

Tim, I really thing if you get that intercooler on your timing could be advanced a lot.

4.88 gears

So I put 4.88 gears in my explorer, front and back of course.
Cost a lot of money in parts and tools too.
New best time, 13.342 @ 100 mph.
So I guess I made it to the 100 mph club?
I know I can do better with better traction.
I had a problem with tires slipping all day, could not get the traction I am used to. I was wondering what tires were slipping, front, back, all?
By the third run someone told me why.
The front tires were coming off the ground. I have pictures to prove it courtesy of Dave Milcarek.
Someone gave me some advise at the track so a set of coil over rear shocks are on my Christmas list to try to keep the front tires planted.
We'll see if I can get them and put them on before Atco closes for the season.
Thanks again to Ron at bansheesupercharger.com
This would not be possible with out you.

Pictures please!

Time Slip

Here is a picture of one of the time slips.
I have a framed picture of the truck with the wheels off the ground.
I am awaiting for a digital copy from Dave Milcarek Photography.
I will post asap.

Attachments

• 11-30-2013 time slip.JPG
    11-30-2013 time slip.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 383

Its probably gonna be my new screensaver lol

This could quite possibly be the first ex to pull its front wheels.
I can hardly wait to see the pic. So awesome!
Im so impressed the engine and trans are still hanging in there.

ex

Its probably gonna be my new screensaver lol

The wheels are not high enough to be a screen saver. lol.
I have to send a check to get a digital copy of the photograph, I will be dropping it in the mail tomorrow and the picture will be emailed to me some time after that. I cant wait, I am still in disbelief.

Explorer Launch - Copy.jpg
Picture

Explorer!

That's the first time Ive ever seen an explorer do that.
I think you have a first, period.

That's awesome!! Im going to email this pic to a few friends.

That makes me smile!

Can you do me a huge favour and snap a pic of how you mounted your intercooler radiator? I think I have mine sorted out (At least in my mind), but am always looking for ideas.

Its so darn cold here right now, I have absolutely no intention of doing any work till it warms up. Even with heaters, the garage won't get very warm.

intercooler radiators

Which one? lol.
I started with this space here.

Attachments

• DSC06365.JPG
    DSC06365.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 346

IC rad

Then used this.

Attachments

• DSC06373.JPG
    DSC06373.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 342

IC radiator

Then I put a fan on it and put the front back together.

Attachments

• DSC06401.JPG
    DSC06401.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 331

DSC07532.JPG
IC radiators

Then I thought, that wasn't enough. So I added this here.

Back