Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 70 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Last run from 05-31-2019

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

First run from 06-04-2019
Finally Back in the 12's

Nice I was just watching on YouTube it popped up in recommend videos:usa::usa::usa:

Thanks! I hope I don't become annoying with my videos all over the place. Trying to grow an audience on youtube.

I hope to get some time to work on it soon, I have to change my rpm signal wire from the coil to an injector.
That should make the nitrous controller more accurate.
This weekend I am helping a buddy with his 1970 something blazer on 44's.
Has been down for a while so we have to flush the tank and do some brake work.

Cool, it's still smoothly doing the job. I love any videos of Explorers etc. I don't like any songs in the audio that are loud at all, I have to mute that and jump ahead to where the songs end. Lower the volume a bunch for that, to a low level.

Minor rant; about watching a video of fireworks, people want a sound track and they make it as loud as the fireworks, which for that, ruins it. Here in Knoxville we had a Labor day show called Boomsday, for close to 15 years. I loved going to it, but I had to find a spot as far away from the speakers as possible. I would pay for a good fireworks video, but it would have to have virtually no sounds masking the show, and wide field of views, not narrow etc. Fireworks in person are wonderful, awesome, but a video of it should attempt to reproduce it, not do anything else but that.

I have hearing problems so I don't know what is too loud or too soft.
I just got hearing aids today, I was walking around at work thinking how different everything sounds with them in.
Also people like different kinds of music, and free music is hard to find for YouTube videos.
I was informed that I shouldn't put music where the truck is racing because most like to hear the engine/supercharger.
Is the music much louder than the video sound of the truck and engine?

I don't mean to pick on yours, most online videos are the same way. I'd call it loud enough for a party atmosphere for a small group of people. Maybe half that would be better.

Keeper coming:dpchug:

I don't mean to pick on yours, most online videos are the same way. I'd call it loud enough for a party atmosphere for a small group of people. Maybe half that would be better.

I appreciate the feedback, it helps me work to do better.
There are so many adjustable features in the editing software I am using, I am still learning.
I will try lowering the music volume in the next video I edit, I will make it lower than the engine/supercharger by a bit.
Maybe I can do two edits and post them here for a quick review and you guys can give me feedback on which one is better.

I'd love to build a youtube channel etc, but I'd have to do a lot more to make it useful. I do have to build a 4R70W right now, I lost 3rd and 4th Wednesday coming home. This 4R I have parts for was to be my strongest, for the blower etc. I hope I can remember how to put one together, and find the new planetary and reverse drum I got years ago to do it.

Keep teaching, and learning us all about how to keep that V6/5R flying fast.

Tried to post this earlier but something was up with the server I guess.
I tried something called normalizing in the audio editing, don't know if it worked or not.
This run was from 06-04-2019

Dam vac lines

3mph faster than the Mustang, that's cool. Was it just a vacuum line, I hope?

Blew off three vacuum lines, only could attach two at the track. Had to remove supercharger intake elbow to get to the third one.
That requires RTV on my setup. I did fix it the next day.
I am hoping there are no more problems but have not had time to even look at it.

Just wondering about this and not sure why I am just now thinking about it. But Are you running the same or original Transmission? I believe I have the 5r55e trans in mine. Thanks

Yes he is with little repair

Be careful with that transmission they are tricky
@4pointslow Will tell all if any mods and or repairs he has done

Be careful with that transmission they are tricky
@4pointslow Will tell all if any mods and or repairs he has done

Thanks @donalds Yeah I am hoping. I will be using mine as a wheeling rig. Not Major like Buggies do but mainly wheeling in Rocks and trails. I might hit a trail a little harder then the one I posted but that is about it. Just want it to be a good wheeling rig. Go Places Jeeps will say "That won't make it!" LOL

I am still running the stock 5R55E but I increased the transmission pressures in the tune. I used information from something called a value file in SCT Advantage3 tuning software, and then adjusted things a little to my liking.
I found out the hard way that the sprag clutches are one of the 5R55E weak points. I was doing a 3,000 RPM 4WD burnout at the track and when I lifted off the gas pedal the trans felt like it was in neutral. Turns out I lost first and second but had D2 which is third gear in the 5R55E. I was able to drive home by starting out in D2 (third) and shifting into D where I had 4th and 5th(O/D). Reverse worked too.

I got used parts off eBay and some new gaskets, and threw it back together. I didn't even replace any clutches, bands, or seals.
I did adjust the bands when I put it back together because you have to.
I have been beating it mercilessly since then and it has held, but I don't do burnouts anymore.
I only have the factory transmission coolers, but I have a 164F degree thermostat so my engine temps don't get as high as they would if you had the factory rated thermostat(195F). I use Castrol MerconV.

Now for 4 wheeling you will want to ask around in those posts of this forum, there are many others that have way more experience with their 5R55E's
I have never 4 wheeled mine, just 1/4 mile racing and used to drive it to work 42 miles from my house. I don't do that anymore since the Exhaust is too loud and the fuel cost me too much. LOL

Back