My 98 XLT 5.0 Finally Goes Under The Knife | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 98 XLT 5.0 Finally Goes Under The Knife

The Tires look good. How did the Valve covers come out? (installed that is :) )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, the covers are fine.

I've got a set of Kuhmo AT51's on my Xploder in a 245-75R16 size, had them since last november about 20k ago, great tires wear well. Great price too, got them for $133 apiece. Nice truck dude!

I've got a set of Kuhmo AT51's on my Xploder in a 245-75R16 size, had them since last november about 20k ago, great tires wear well. Great price too, got them for $133 apiece. Nice truck dude!

I'm glad you like yours! I have looked at tons of reviews and I think I only seen 1 or 2 say anything bad about these tires. The one guy even did a offroad review from one of our local trail areas and said they work as well or better then the BFG AT.

Snow is where they really shine I hear, we will see.

I'm from Connecticut, these things are AWESOME in the snow. great with Awd, far better with my 4406 I'm sure. Not loud on he highway either.

Well it's fall so I installed my NAPA camber bolts and maxed them out since the stock tires leaned in. Then I installed those Rancho shocks made for a TT to the front. Then I tried the 31s to see if I had to do anything else and it turns out they fit fine as is.

I do think someone before me tweeked on the Torsion bars a little, maybe 1 1/4'' - 1 1/2'' but they fit fine so I'm leaving it like this and scheduling an alignment.

29a528.jpg

EX-31s.jpg

With my daughters stock EX in the background.
258mpsx.jpg
Big-black-little-white.jpg

I think I double posted or something I can't get rid of these pics from my reply.

Anyway, Thanks Worms!
29a528.jpg

258mpsx.jpg

It looks good on the madza b2200 wheels .
I was going to put gen 1 ex wheels . But now you got me thinking ....

Yeah, I think they look better on the EX then on the truck they are made for.

Hey Swigin, have you had any issue with your BW4406 and vibration? I have had a problem ever since installing mine that above 65 mph the resonant vibration and noise goes through the roof, but if I remove the Front Driveshaft it pretty much goes away. So I had the front driveshaft balanced, all checks out and it's still there. I picked up a second T-case from the pull yard with low miles and clean ATF and swapped it in, still there to some degree. Your truck is similar in ride height to my truck so I thought you would be a good guy to ask. I am going to have my Kuhmo LT 245/75R16 tires balanced and get an alignment, but this is stumping me pretty good. :confused: Wasn't there when I was AWD

No, mines smooth as silk. If you read this thread you seen what drive shafts I used. Maybe that's the difference but I don't know what parts you used or what condition they are in.

I opened my 4406 up and went through it before I installed it and rebuilt my front drive shaft (double cardon) to hopefully ward off any bad vibes.

Thanks for the fast response, I used a 4.6 F150/Expedition front driveshaft like a lot of other people on the forum have had good luck with, it was balanced and brand new u-joints installed and checked out with flying colors.If the tire balancing doesn't change anything perhaps I will get a different front driveshaft just to see if even though it has been balanced, maybe it simply doesn't agree with my truck somehow. I didn't rebuild either transfer case, but after 2 different cases with the same problem I tend to think there may be another factor in play. On a different subject, did you install the Transgo 2 Shift kit? If so how do you like it? My tranny shop told me they would do that kit for my truck for $350 including parts, labor, and a fluid and filter change with a fresh pan gasket. Thanks man!

I don't like single front drive shafts for Fords, I'd start there.

You know, that's the last thing I never got around to doing but I need to soon. My tranny needs servicing and while it\s open I'll do it but it's not my favorite thing to do so it waits.

That price don't sound too bad and I did use this shift kit in my Mustang and LOVE it. That's why I bought it for the EX, I knew I'd like the outcome.

Thats awesome! I was looking to do this because I have read that in addition to giving you more performance oriented shift patterns, it actually INCREASES the longevity of the transmission by increasing the line pressures and reduces heat by holding it between gears less, and since my truck only has 155k and good transmission fluid I figure now is as good a time as any. A bit more research on other threads yielded many EF veterans with front DS issues with their BW4406 swaps, and nobody seems to have a definitive answer on solving the vibration issue unless their truck worked good from the get go like yours haha. Lots of tips, like clocking the shaft, single vs double cardan shafts, u-joints, driveline angle adjustment, shimming the transmission mount, all kinds of stuff but nobody was like BOOM FIXED. On goes the detective work haha.

I have a 4.6 front DS from a F150 and it I too long for me, don't know how you got it in there. Get a DC shaft like a first gen or early 2nd gen EX.

any idea on the offset and what is the rim size on those wheels? I'm getting parts together for an SAS and putting on 31-33" tires on my Sport.

I just picked up a set of jeep 16" Cherokee 'honeycomb' wheels over the weekend, but have not had a chance to research the offset on them. Fingers crossed, they have a little more positive offset than Fords.

The Mazda's sure look good. :)

P.S.: Is there a thread that documents all the factory wheels that have been used for 'custom' applications?

Thanks.

I have a 4.6 front DS from a F150 and it I too long for me, don't know how you got it in there. Get a DC shaft like a first gen or early 2nd gen EX.
I think the driveshaft length is specific to the transmission. You may have a driveshaft that was sized for a 4R100 rather than a 4R70.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any idea on the offset and what is the rim size on those wheels? I'm getting parts together for an SAS and putting on 31-33" tires on my Sport.

I just picked up a set of jeep 16" Cherokee 'honeycomb' wheels over the weekend, but have not had a chance to research the offset on them. Fingers crossed, they have a little more positive offset than Fords.

The Mazda's sure look good. :)

P.S.: Is there a thread that documents all the factory wheels that have been used for 'custom' applications?

Thanks.[/QUOTE

I don't know the numbers but the Mazda wheels measured the same as the factory EX wheels.

Back