My 99 behind swap!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 99 behind swap!!

that also means its an open dif and a 3.55.that would suck for 4x4 or for bigger tires.also why you so set on a sohc motor they arent that good of motors and its not a easy swap.stick with the ohv or if you going to go through all that trouble go v8.ps gears ARE VERY EXPENSIVE!!ive got upwards of a $1000 in my rear and it doesnt even have a locker yet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so looks like ill be buying a new MC from a 95 x without cruise control and without a proportioning valve and seeing if that fixes my problems.ive been down sick for the last 4 days with a fever of 103+ so no work has been done!!

Easy everything is new.$250gears,$100 install kit,$250 for rearend with springs,$68 master cylinder,$150 ish for disc brakes, calipers,wheel bearings,ebrake shoes,aal,paint,rear end fluid,brake fluid,brake cleaner,and a bl gauge.probably a little other stuff to!!

well the new 95 master cylinder is in and that was the problem!!i have brakes now,still may have a little air in there but its raining out and im still sick with a fever of a 101 so i called it quits!!the brakes feel firm and much better than before,the rear seemed to be locking up just a hair before or the same time as the front now but thats how i wanted it to be.remember i bypassed the abs and the new mc has no proportioning valve,on dry pavement it should be perfect!!ps i have a mc for a 99 ex if any one needs one!!

yep still had alittle bit of air in them.braking distance on dry payment is soooo much better than when i had drums!!!its night and day!!best swap ever!!

You have to for the new disc brakes

You have to for the new disc brakes

now im really lost, because i was told all i would have to do is fix the brake lines that come from the tire over to my extended ss brake line to meet up a 93 brake line, to do this, go buy a 5 ft piece of brake line for 95 and ship it in half, re-flair the end at the fresh cut end to match the brake line already installed..... why switch the booster?

Nope the rear is a direct swap.just unscrew the line at the fram rail and screw the new one in.the mc has to be changed to add more psi to the rear brakes

and how i did the brake line,i extended it 8" and hook it to a spring,under full droop it wouldnt fit
vf1nq.jpg

Yep so did i!!and i got one from a 99 too!! Some say you can adjust the rod but i dont trust that at all and many have had problems with the brakes draging!!its a 95 NO cruse and NO Proportioning valve that you need,that is the only one that will work!!

better explanation possibly, stock master will stop the 2 front disc brakes and the 2 rear drum brakes. if you used it for stopping 4 disc brakes it wouldnt be as good anymore. so youd need the master that was made for stopping 4 disc brakes.

ok soo ill have to budget that into, new master cylinder.. but i think ill stick with the extended ss brake line i got and either adapter end the 90 w/e axle to fit that line. What year axles can we use in the back? also when u did the master cylinder did you have to use adapters to convert the 90s lines into the 2nd gen cylinder?

95-01. the rear fits without doing anything to the brake line,direct swap.i just extended mine because i have soa and add a leaf and at the time was going to do shackles but went body lift instead.a rebuilt mc is like $30

ok soo ill have to budget that into, new master cylinder.. but i think ill stick with the extended ss brake line i got and either adapter end the 90 w/e axle to fit that line. What year axles can we use in the back? also when u did the master cylinder did you have to use adapters to convert the 90s lines into the 2nd gen cylinder?

nope lines went right in,the whole thing is a direct swap but the ebrake cable.you have a 93 so i think you can use your intermediate cable and the rear cable from a 95 up and its fits fine.pre 93 used a different intermediate cable.i had my old out and new in,less than a couple hours

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just so u know, u r awesome! very helpful! only reason i wanted to stay with the rear line i have is its a stainless steel extended flex line so its already super long. ok i got my list going so when its time ill know what i need, thank you!

Back