My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread

Just splice the 2 neutral safety switch wires together in the transmission wiring harness and just leave the plug alone on the trans and dont hook anything to it.

I would hook the the reverse light switch so you have reverse lights. Its jsut 2 wires to hook up.

Do you have a manual transmission wiring harness?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the harness unfortunately. Any way around it?

Yea let me look at the diagrams and i will let you know which ones to hook up. Do you have the connector that plugs into the trans with the 2 wires for the reverse lights on the trans?

Dude, the transmission harness is ridiculously easy to score. You can get it from just about any early '90s Ranger with a manual transmission. It'll have two plugs to the harness at the firewall, identical to the plugs on your Ex. Those go to the oil level sensor, the oil pressure sending unit, the neutral safety switch, and the reverse light switch. It's way too easy and cheap to not just go grab the harness from a junk yard. It doesn't have to be out of an Explorer and it doesn't have to be out of a 4x4.

Mine's from (I think) a 1987 Ranger with a 2.3L 4-cyl.

well I was just looking for a temp. fix til I can get it out of the yard.

Fair enough! Carry on!!
:beer:

I got the harness! Yay me! Just an update...

ehy guys well done on the good work busy with the same swop on my 94 xlt 4x4 i have a complete accident damaged 91 or 92 manual as a donar car just a question where to a connect the manual wiring harness u guys talking about do i follow it up from under the truck along the chassis does it just unplug from there

okay thanks fox yeah all finished now drove it home from work yesterday but the 4 low wont engage and it was definatly working before the conversion so gonna try look up on the forum what would be wrong

no worries i used your diagram and grounded the red with white and everything works perfectly now, thanks for all the info its really helped me alot

I posted somewhere on here on what I did with mine to get 4low back. Pretty simple dont remember what thread it was in though. But geuss you found the info you needed.

I did a "quick" fix of grounding the wire on the driver inner fender until I could get around to doing it "right." I haven't done that yet. Haha!

My M5OD (MD50 if you ask the idiot at the trans shop around the corner) is holding up really well despite the axles being undergeared and the front being welded with 34x10.50s... it may be a matter of time, but hopefully I'll get plenty more fun out of it before it actually gives out. The way I wheel, there's no way the A4LD would have held up without a massive professional rebuild and all the upgrade parts available.

I'm getting a 9" this week to match the HP-D44 front I have in the yard and should be able to get my gearing back to normal "soon."

thata great yeah my a4ld packed up twice first time one of the bands broke then on christmas day after just fitting brand new warn manual locking hubs (that i waited 3 months for) the planetery gear broke and stuffed up everything inside n i had had enough it couldnt be repaired aparently n i came across this forum and read all your guys conversion threads thought that would be the only answer, problem was being in south africa getting the right stuff was i small prob but theres a american parts shop that inports all sorts of stuff so they managed to source me everything i needed and last week i found a complete 92 that had been damaged in a accident the guy hit a pavment n wrecked the whole front diff and suspension body n everything was still perfect so bought that as a donar car took everything i needed plus got plenty spares so my ex is finally all sorted out again after nearly 6 months so happy

Still lots to do, but the driveshafts and pedals are all straightened out. I broke a few more wire connections around the parking brake while swapping the pedals again. Too strong for delicate procedures I suppose.

Just some wiring to fix up, as well as the master cylinder install and the bleeding process, then it's exhaust and fill up the fluids. I'll be back on it first thing Saturday, hopefully to finish.

Did it ise the same driveshafts as the auto

The easest way to get the four/low working is to cut and ground the red/white wire at the control module in the rear left quarter panel.

Back