Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by Freshmeat, August 5, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Foxracin

Foxracin Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Mount Holly, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Just splice the 2 neutral safety switch wires together in the transmission wiring harness and just leave the plug alone on the trans and dont hook anything to it.

I would hook the the reverse light switch so you have reverse lights. Its jsut 2 wires to hook up.

Do you have a manual transmission wiring harness?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 91ROKKRAWLER

91ROKKRAWLER Active Member

City, State:
    Bend, OR
    '91 Xploder
    I don't have the harness unfortunately. Any way around it?

4. Foxracin

City, State:
    Mount Holly, NC
    Yea let me look at the diagrams and i will let you know which ones to hook up. Do you have the connector that plugs into the trans with the 2 wires for the reverse lights on the trans?

5. Freshmeat

Freshmeat Active Member

City, State:
    Denham Springs, LA
    1994 Ranger STX SC
    Dude, the transmission harness is ridiculously easy to score. You can get it from just about any early '90s Ranger with a manual transmission. It'll have two plugs to the harness at the firewall, identical to the plugs on your Ex. Those go to the oil level sensor, the oil pressure sending unit, the neutral safety switch, and the reverse light switch. It's way too easy and cheap to not just go grab the harness from a junk yard. It doesn't have to be out of an Explorer and it doesn't have to be out of a 4x4.

Mine's from (I think) a 1987 Ranger with a 2.3L 4-cyl.

6. 91ROKKRAWLER

City, State:
    Bend, OR
    '91 Xploder
    well I was just looking for a temp. fix til I can get it out of the yard.

7. Freshmeat

Freshmeat Active Member

City, State:
    Denham Springs, LA
    1994 Ranger STX SC
    Fair enough! Carry on!!
    :beer:

8. 91ROKKRAWLER

City, State:
    Bend, OR
    '91 Xploder
    I got the harness! Yay me! Just an update...

9. rookie,94XLT

rookie,94XLT Guest

ehy guys well done on the good work busy with the same swop on my 94 xlt 4x4 i have a complete accident damaged 91 or 92 manual as a donar car just a question where to a connect the manual wiring harness u guys talking about do i follow it up from under the truck along the chassis does it just unplug from there

10. Foxracin

City, State:
    Mount Holly, NC
    Its unplugs at the driver side inner fender. Just follow it up to see which one it is.

11. rookie,94XLT

rookie,94XLT Guest

okay thanks fox yeah all finished now drove it home from work yesterday but the 4 low wont engage and it was definatly working before the conversion so gonna try look up on the forum what would be wrong

12. rookie,94XLT

rookie,94XLT Guest

no worries i used your diagram and grounded the red with white and everything works perfectly now, thanks for all the info its really helped me alot

13. Foxracin

City, State:
    Mount Holly, NC
    I posted somewhere on here on what I did with mine to get 4low back. Pretty simple dont remember what thread it was in though. But geuss you found the info you needed.

14. Freshmeat

Freshmeat Active Member

City, State:
    Denham Springs, LA
    1994 Ranger STX SC
    I did a "quick" fix of grounding the wire on the driver inner fender until I could get around to doing it "right." I haven't done that yet. Haha!

My M5OD (MD50 if you ask the idiot at the trans shop around the corner) is holding up really well despite the axles being undergeared and the front being welded with 34x10.50s... it may be a matter of time, but hopefully I'll get plenty more fun out of it before it actually gives out. The way I wheel, there's no way the A4LD would have held up without a massive professional rebuild and all the upgrade parts available.

I'm getting a 9" this week to match the HP-D44 front I have in the yard and should be able to get my gearing back to normal "soon."

15. rookie,94XLT

rookie,94XLT Guest

thata great yeah my a4ld packed up twice first time one of the bands broke then on christmas day after just fitting brand new warn manual locking hubs (that i waited 3 months for) the planetery gear broke and stuffed up everything inside n i had had enough it couldnt be repaired aparently n i came across this forum and read all your guys conversion threads thought that would be the only answer, problem was being in south africa getting the right stuff was i small prob but theres a american parts shop that inports all sorts of stuff so they managed to source me everything i needed and last week i found a complete 92 that had been damaged in a accident the guy hit a pavment n wrecked the whole front diff and suspension body n everything was still perfect so bought that as a donar car took everything i needed plus got plenty spares so my ex is finally all sorted out again after nearly 6 months so happy

16. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    Did it ise the same driveshafts as the auto

17. MayJan

MayJan Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Gibsonville, NC
    '94 XLT 5-speed
    Yes, M5od will use the same transfer case and driveshafts as the auto a4ld.

18. the_don

the_don Active Member

City, State:
    park city, ut
    '93 exploder limited 5spd
    The easest way to get the four/low working is to cut and ground the red/white wire at the control module in the rear left quarter panel.