My BII Project | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My BII Project

I am trying to losen my drives side radius arm, but I cannot get the bolt that is under the spring lose for anything! I used lost of oil and let is soak for a few days, than went at it with a breaker bar and broke the bar!
I got the spring off, took all the garbage off around the bolt, took off the bolts that are infront of the axle housing..... Also what about the one on the bottom? Looks like I will need to take appart the axle to get at it?
Reason why I need to losen it is because I cannot get it lined up in the radius arm housing, its "in" too much, needs to be pulled out some.
Any pointers on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3/4" drive and LARGE impact gun with a big ass compressor

or 3/4" drive with a LONGER breaker bar.

Those bolts were never meant to come out from Ford and they are a real *****
I have fought them for hours before to get them in/out

If you have access to it borrow some heavy duty air tools, 3/4" drive, it will work

I changed my valve cover gaskets and took off all my plug wires..... I have labeled them in the past so there would be no mix up, but when I got my coil put back in they changed all the plug wires around and now I have no idea what goes to what. my book is not clear to what wire goes to what plug! any help?

Never mind got it figured out

1 4 2 5 3 6

The best way to get those bolts out is with heat. Use a torch to heat the threads up on the inside of the axle and it will come right out. If you don't have access to a a good oxy/acceteline torch, a 1 1/8" wrench and 6 to 8 foot pipe for leverage works too.

yeah what I ended up doing was getting a 5 foot pipe and put it on the end of the arm and pulled real hard, it took a good while but it moved 1/2" and I got it all in place :)

So I got this thing going good now, I took it for a run down the street and back, than drove it up on some ramps, one in the front and one in the back on the other side. I noticed the body flex it wayyyyyyyyy to much, I can see the cab twist some. I think if I get in the woods it might get to be too much... What should I do to stop so much body flex?

Some new polyeurathane body mounts will help reduce the body flex.

body and frame flex happen alot, when you chop the top it gets way worse, you need to put in some re enforcement in the bed/cab to make up for what you removed.

poly mounts will help out ALOT
My BII has been twisted up so much the windshield has broken its seal a couple of times, the raingutters at the a pillar have pulled apart and more, no biggie :)

thats what I like to hear! hahaha and I bet having a body lift added on top of that does not help at all... But I will change up the mounts first, as they do need to be changed! Thanks

Alright got a lot of work done in the past few days, got the end pillers filled in. This is temp until I get a hold of a welder. I got insurance on it yesterday and took it out for the day, no wheeling tho, still need to get the front drive shaft shortened. What a huge difference with the top off. I can actually spin my tires now, but I haven't taken this out since the roof has been cut off, MDS Coil, glasspac, new plug wires and snorkel. Here are a few pics of where I am at now.
I just used the rear hatch door for my tale gate. Cut it off at the bottom of the window line. It stays in very well and does not shake around at all. used all the same mounting on the truck for the hatch, just turn the handle and you can take the tale gate right off.

DSCF5095.jpg

DSCF5104.jpg

DSCF5098.jpg

DSCF5099.jpg

DSCF5100.jpg

DSCF5102.jpg

DSCF5103.jpg

DSCF5101.jpg

DSCF5102.jpg

DSCF5107.jpg

DSCF5106.jpg

DSCF5105.jpg

love the rear wiper!!

Looks 100% better thus far

hows it running?

its running quite well, not having any problems other than a little oil leak some place, but it runs smooth, And it drives straight now! lol The Snorkel seems to be working okay, I was driving in the city for 2h's and was not over heating and ran smooth, and the hose did not get too hot where it runs into the cab. I think I will still rap it in some heat tape. I also got some new BDS shocks.

I cannot find a place to put the computer that controls the transfer case.....
I moved it from the back to between the seats for now, its just loose on the floor, trying to find a place to put it for when I go wheeling.
Any ideas where I can stick this? I got my Main Computer where the glove box was

man this has come a ways.

Here are a few pics of the pillars all cleaned up and filled in. Well see how it holds up

Before

Before-1.jpg

After

after2.jpg

after.jpg

after3.jpg

so I got to do some wheeling today. Been a long time, havent used the 8.8 or the D35 or the fiberglass fenders or the chop top yet... SO it was 100 times better wheeling than it was before with the 7.5 and D28. I could really notice the limited slip working..... So worked good in the woods... Not so good on the HWY

So here I am driving down the #1 hwy doing 100KM and I look over and see my tire infront of the car beside me... I think to myself... strange... That should be under my truck.... I tap the breaks and the front of the truck comes down on the hub.... start to swerve around, than I was thinking, "I think I should be flipping right now" but I kept is straight and got it over to the side of the road....
I am so happy that no one was hurt! This is a VERY busy highway!

DSCF5123.jpg

DSCF5129.jpg

DSCF5136.jpg

DSCF5137.jpg

DSCF5140.jpg

The tire ended up about 1/2 km away in the ditch!

auto hubs? hehehe forget to tighten the lugs? one stud probably snapped when it came off and the rotor sure took a beating! Nidce glad it stayed upright and the tire didnt hit anything

yeah its auto hubs, but thats going to change now :) Not 100% sure why it came off. Had all the tires off 100 times in the last few months....

Here is a good question,
I still have my D28, can I use the old hubs from that on the D35? Like the disk part? Than buy a Manual Hub Conversion for the D35? Cause as you can see this one is not going to work. Also does anyone have the Timken Part # for the bearings? I can just grab them at work :) and the seal part # would be great. Are they National Seals?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went wheeling today :) Got new warn hubs :) Very easy install :p All the tires stayed on this time
here is a viddd or two
th_IM000319.jpg

th_IM000321.jpg

Back