My blacked out Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My blacked out Explorer

IMG_0793.JPG
Nice ride. You know once you go black... here's my 2016 Platinum. Tints are a little too dark. I just drove 500+ miles to Fargo, ND. With fog lights, I can see fine but a little too dark. I already called the place that did it for me and they're going to remove the film for me. I can probably do it myself, but it's too damned cold up here. :p

The back lights are fine. Thanks @supr squirrel for the mention.

IMG_0782.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's mine. I don't know what percentage it is but I'd say don't do it or have it done with the lightest tint possible.

With fog lights, my visibility is okay but alone it's not good. Not bad either but not good. So, this was a failed experiment although the car looks bad ass

I have the shop that did it removing it when I arrive home next week.
IMG_0807.JPG
Curious how dark people went on their headlight and taillight tint. I'm considering doing this and have an option of 20% and 50%, also did anyone get their fog lights smoked.

What are the specs of your wheels and tires Jonnoriega?

What are the specs of your wheels and tires Jonnoriega?

I got the wheels and tires as inspiration from @ken60631 and @14ExplorerNC. The tires are Yokohama Parada Spec X 295/45 R20.

The wheels are Velgen VMB6 20 x 10.5" (45mm off set) out of FL (the other guys have VMB5). They were $1950 + shipping but they gave it to me for $1750 including shipping. They should fit perfectly on your Explorer.

Also, I would recommend lowering it for the full effect with H&R Lowering Springs from Livernois also thanks to @ken60631 . http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP303102)

They're a little stiffer so the handling feels sportier but the ride is extremely comfortable. I'm in sales and drive for a living. I just drove 550+ miles from Chicago to Fargo, ND today and no complaints... the heated massage seats in my Platinum helped a little :p

Sorry to ramble. I hope this helps!
fullsizeoutput_2a18.jpeg

Last edited:

Thats one of the best looking rigs on this forum, well done!!!!

I know "blackout" or "monochromatic" isnt everyones cup of tea but I love that look. Those wheels look superb in black.

That front end shot is the best.

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my XLT. Got it about 2 weeks ago and I think it turned out pretty nice. Basically took everything at wasn't black already and changed it to satin black. Also tinted the windows and tail lights and did a satin black vinyl hood insert. Rims are 20" KMC Skitch and tires are Goodyear Fortera. All work done by Wheel Concepts on Staten Island. They have done every car I have had for the past 20 years.

a2f25d38288a684c3a9edf1be790cd76.jpg

52855eeb1fae3cb1ef4f595a1cc9afe0.jpg

bb0a3c66ce34c86ad39b235273ecb6a2.jpg

27507a1e4a8f7db611f2ad6b17925a2c.jpg

The look is called "MURDERED OUT". Love this look. Well done, my friend.

Some great looking blacked out Explorers here!

Quick question: On 2011-2015 Limiteds, is the grill painted in Tuxedo black as well or is it a normal gloss black? I have a black XLT and am thinking of spraying the grill, door handles, rear gate chrome bar and side chrome strips in Tuxedo black but wondering how it will look. Am also thinking of spraying the 20" polished aluminum wheels black as well (not Tuxedo, just a high gloss).

Thanks everyone. Just getting some ideas.

15 - 3.jpg

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my XLT. Got it about 2 weeks ago and I think it turned out pretty nice. Basically took everything at wasn't black already and changed it to satin black. Also tinted the windows and tail lights and did a satin black vinyl hood insert. Rims are 20" KMC Skitch and tires are Goodyear Fortera. All work done by Wheel Concepts on Staten Island. They have done every car I have had for the past 20 years.

a2f25d38288a684c3a9edf1be790cd76.jpg

52855eeb1fae3cb1ef4f595a1cc9afe0.jpg

bb0a3c66ce34c86ad39b235273ecb6a2.jpg

27507a1e4a8f7db611f2ad6b17925a2c.jpg

What did you use or do to get your tail lights darkened like that? I think that looks so awesome.

I have a xlt and I would like to remove all the chrome pieces (lift gate, all 4 doors) is there any write up on how to?

I also want to paint the 2 gray pieces in the front and rear bumper but imInot sure if they can be removed without taking the whole bumpers apart.

Thanks in advance.

^^ Your thread was merged with this one. There are a few others on 'blacking out' certain items. You can use the 'Search' feature to find those threads.

Peter

Very nice! How Ford should have offered the Explorer "Black package" in the first place... LOL.

Very nice! How Ford should have offered the Explorer "Black package" in the first place... LOL.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Ebay has the factory wheels in either Black Chrome and or Gloss Black. I am waiting on my gloss black for the 2017 Sport.
Detroit Wheel will also do exchanges so black powdercoating / black cap black locks/lugs under 900.00 with shipping 2 way

Ebay has the factory wheels in either Black Chrome and or Gloss Black. I am waiting on my gloss black for the 2017 Sport.
Detroit Wheel will also do exchanges so black powdercoating / black cap black locks/lugs under 900.00 with shipping 2 way

Pictures when you get them installed, please.

I loved my 14 Sport black OEM wheels, the 17 OEM Sport wheels with grey painted pockets completely destroyed the blacked out theme the Sport was known for.

Why tint the front and rear lenses, black out all the chrome and then give the vehicle grey wheels?

I was told it was done just as a freshening, I hate them.

Those wheels look really good I actually thought about doing that, or just painting the ugly grey pockets.

What was the process?

Plasticoat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back