Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My CB Install

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by dislexiclawyer, February 23, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dislexiclawyer

dislexiclawyer Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    This install was originally going to be a how-to, but yet again I just got caught up in the installation and forgot to take pictures. I went into this wanting the cleanest install possible, and I am pretty happy with the results. I used a Cobra 19 DX IV radio and a Workman 3' antenna with a 12' cable. I went with this setup because I wanted a radio small enough to fit in my center console.

I started a couple days ago working on the mount situation. I made a mount to go above the driver's side tail light. It seems to be a popular way to mount antennas. I am kind of disappointed in the mount because it isn't one solid piece of metal, but I think it should do fine. I also notched the tail light some so that I could run the cable behind the tail light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ran the cable into the cab through the grommet for the rear washer fluid fill tube. I could have run it through the grommet for the tail lights but I didn't feel like cutting into it. I then ran the cable through the panel in the back of the truck where the 4x4 computer and everything is located, and pulled it out in front of the rear seats (I have a sport). Then I ran the cable under the carpet to the center console.

Now this is where the cutting begins. I had to cut out pretty much all of the little tray in front of the spare change holder in order to get the radio to fit. But after you cut it all away the radio fits perfectly. There is also a small hole in between the 2 mounting screws for the front of the console. I widened that hole to 3/4", and also made a 3/4" hole in the middle of the mounting bracket so I could run cables. Also when you slide the radio in, the antenna cable needs to rest in this hole because it will sit too high out of the top of the console if the hole isn't there.

Unfortunately I forgot that my brother has all of the wiring supplies I would need in his truck. So the CB is all connected except for power :( I will however update this post after I get power to the radio and get it tuned. I may also have to get an external speaker, I just need to see how loud this one comes in. If that is the case I will probably put it under the dash near the display for my CD changer. Also after taking pictures, I realize how filthy my cup holder section is :rolleyes:

Install pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Turdle

Turdle This is my custom user title Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
  4. dislexiclawyer

2013 Toyota Tacoma
    Well the bracket I made from a bar used to keep the drawers closed on a rolling tool box. And the antenna connection I stole from the mirror bracket that came with the antenna.

Also I made a trip to Wal-Mart, and tapped into the cigarette lighter and now my CB has power!

5. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Nice install. Looks good! :thumbsup:

6. dislexiclawyer

2013 Toyota Tacoma
    I changed my CB install so I thought I would update my thread.

I was satisfied with the radio in the center console, but with the combination of my decision to move the antenna, and my wanting the center console storage compartment back, I decided to move the radio into the ashtray. I now have a place to hang the mic, and the cord won't get in the way of my cup holders anymore. I think I need to find something to trim the opening with though, my cuts into the ashtray weren't the best.
    [​IMG]

My antenna setup was inspired by Jurassic Park. I watched the movie again recently and noticed the antenna setup mounted on the mirror. I used a ball mount with a 2" ball, and I really like it. I will need to do some testing to see if I need to add a spring or not. It was kind of a pain running the coax through the door seal with the wire bundle, but it was worth it. This is a much cleaner install than my previous attempt.
    [​IMG]

7. Ilikemice

Ilikemice Active Member

City, State:
    Midlands, UK
    '99 XLT
    Hi mate. I've been looking all day for decent pics of the mirror mount on the Jurassic Park Explorers but there aren't any. Is there any chance you can post some pics of the way you've attached yours to the mirror? Just a close up will do. I'm trying to get a setup like yours on my '97. You mentioned a ball mount but I can't find anything like it at my usual CB supplier. Cheers!

Awesome Explorer, by the way. Very clean.

8. dislexiclawyer

2013 Toyota Tacoma
    I just used a ball mount from radio shack with a 2" ball. You will need to drill holes in the base of your mirror, and probably 1 or 2 holes in your door behind the mirror. I am thinking about adding a spring to my ball too, it should help it flex, and give it a bit more height.

[​IMG]

9. CobraMountaineer

CobraMountaineer Active Member

City, State:
    Salisbury, MD
    1998 Merc Mountaineer
    nice really nice install

10. Brett F.

Brett F. Active Member

City, State:
    Upstate SC
    '93 4x4
    Very nice install. I may just have to dump the mag mount and go with this.

11. mynameisaric

mynameisaric Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bolingbrook, IL
    98 XLT
    i would definitely recomend a spring asap. i've lost a few too many antennas. then i put a spring on, and the cable gets snagged on things and rips out, but it looks like you wont have that problem. nice install.

12. grant00

grant00 Active Member

City, State:
    Folsom, CA (home); Pomona, CA (school)
    '00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
    Hey nice install!! looks great! Ive got my stuff coming in to do my antenna the same way you did. any way you can give me some more info on how you grounded it and attached the coax to the stud on the ball mount?

13. wrigley_1285

wrigley_1285 Active Member

City, State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    00 Sport
    if you are still looking for something to trim the cb with you can use door edge gaurds. i used some to help clean up one of my bikes i've chopped the tail on and after two years and alot of miles its still holding strong. so it should work good on the inside of your truck.

after you cut it to the proper length i would suggest lightly heating them with a heat gun or hair dryer to help the glue stick.

14. dislexiclawyer

2013 Toyota Tacoma
    I grounded it to one of the bolts that holds it to the door. I believe those may even be the instructions on the ball mount. My ball required me to cut the end off of my cable and I put connectors on the wires to connect it to the ball mount.

I actually have a package of them in the garage but i'm not really worried about it anymore. I may always end up doing it when it warms up outside though.

15. will4vols

will4vols New Member

City, State:
    Vol Nation
    1999 Mercury Mountaineer
    do you still have the original antenna mount?? if so you be interested in selling it??