My engine shakes when I accelerate my Ranger. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My engine shakes when I accelerate my Ranger.

dlbuselmeier

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Ranger XLT
Hey, I really need some answers about my truck. I drive a 2007 Ford Ranger XLT. It has a 4-cylinder, 2.3L engine, manual trans. It has been a great truck for me as so far, but the engine began shaking very hard yesterday on the highway while driving to school. I let it coast in neutral for a second and the shaking stopped, but it started shaking again as soon as I put it in gear and gave it gas. I am very curious as to why it is doing this because it only has about 27,000 miles on it and is a relatively new truck.

I am also wondering if it was possible to break-in an engine/transmission? Because as soon as I started my truck up after I got out of school it began running just fine again. In fact, it was driving better than usual and didnt shake at all on my way home! It seemed to be shifting smoother and it felt like it had more power when I hit the gas.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!:rangertan:

but the engine began shaking very hard yesterday on the highway while driving to school. I let it coast in neutral for a second and the shaking stopped, but it started shaking again as soon as I put it in gear and gave it gas. I am very curious as to why it is doing this because it only has about 27,000 miles on it and is a relatively new truck.

I am also wondering if it was possible to break-in an engine/transmission? Because as soon as I started my truck up after I got out of school it began running just fine again.

I know that this is an old thread, and for a Ranger- but this exact thing happened to my 2006 XLT Explorer (4.0L 5 speed auto). I thought that I was about to lose my driveshaft, or that I lost an engine mount! Same symptoms, and I also stopped at Napa to have my buddy take a look. Idling, the body was very shaky- it felt like being in a massage chair.

But it seemed like the engine was running OK, and there was no CEL or codes at all. The tach seemed solid. The engine just appeared to be bobbling around in the engine bay. He said if we wanted to throw parts at it (being a Napa owner), he'd start with the Throttle Position Sensor. He tapped it and thought it may have done something- but I didn't notice a change.

I took the truck to the dealer I bought it from since it was 60 days TO THE DAY and I have a 60 day safety warranty. Of course it couldn't be replicated. They said they looked at the motor mounts and they looked fine. They thought it sounded like a misfire- but couldn't explain the lack of a CEL or trouble code when I asked. It very well could be- but why no CEL?

Anyone else out there with information or suggestions? I feel very uneasy about an unreproducible mystery issue- and 60 days into my purchase to boot. :(

Check for leaky vacuum or the hoses to the intake coming loose and making sure all the spark plugs are onto the spark plug snug and tight.

Back