my explorer doesnt work cause the transfer doesnt work!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my explorer doesnt work cause the transfer doesnt work!!!

96 Ford Explorer XLT 4door 2WD. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION W V6 4.0L ENGINE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

soo i need to buy this transfer case for my explorer borg Warner 4405

Why are you buying a new transfer case? If your able to manually turn it into 4WD using a pair of pliers with the shift motor removed, then your transfer case is fine. Its more than likely your shift motor.

but i told that to a mechanic and he said that he can do that, just on models 95 and down

Your mechanic lied.. I've done it many times. I had to do it just recently since my shift motor decided not to work when I was stuck in 4LO testing the 4wd system after changing the transfer case fluid. Just remove the shift motor from the transfer case and get a pair of plier and turn it.. Just make sure the truck is in neutral.

Well as for your trany I told you how you may be abel to remidy it and about your t-case their right LOOK for a real mechanic man :D

lol

jchichuv said:
96 Ford Explorer XLT 4door 2WD. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION W V6 4.0L ENGINE

WHOAH WAIT!, HOld UP!

LOL,
if its 2wd you dont have a T-Case..... Or did you jsut mis type??

jchichuv said:
I know that was mean but I want you to get some real competent help cuss your a felow X bud :D I think of EVERYONE HEAR AS A COOL FRIEND :D

it has a switch and like 3 options 2WD, 4WD low, 4WD high

the switch is on 2WD

AUTOTECH SON :) said:
Well his drive mechanizums sound shot (trany and t-case) :( But woh knows he hasnt posted in a bit.

That doesn't help to diagnose the problem.

XplorerKid said:
WHOAH WAIT!, HOld UP!

LOL,
if its 2wd you dont have a T-Case..... Or did you jsut mis type??

but it has a switch and like 3 options 2WD, 4WD low, 4WD high

so whats that supossed to meaN????

Your truck isn't a 2wd. Being a 96 the US models have 2wd, 4auto, and 4 low. Your shift motor can be changed no matter what style t case you have. It's not a big job, I'd get a manual and do it myself.

where can i find that manual??

Go to your local parts store and look for a Chilton or Haynes Manual

so what do you recomend to change the t-case or repair it??

IAmTodd said:
That doesn't help to diagnose the problem.
Your right. But as I said sleepy but not to sleepy or able to sleep but sometimes i cna.

Your t case is likely fine. You are having problems with your SHIFT MOTOR. This is what changes the position of the t case. You can either remove and clean it, which may help, or you can get a rebuilt one. If you buy a whole t case, you will be wasting money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first of all... it sounds l;ike a t-case porb...sounds you would think coming from your tranny could be coming from your t-case and you probly have the 4405 GA.. its a rare t-case to find in good condition... im in the process of swaping my 97 4405 GA thats blown with a 99 4405CA.... the only difference in these two is the speed sensor on the 97 4405 GA: the 99 lacks this sensor but im gonna bolt up the rear manifold of the 97 (w/speed sen.)_ t case to the 99 thus keeping the speed sensor for the 97 while using the internals of the 99... peace out

Back