My explorer is toast fellas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My explorer is toast fellas

well today i was on the highway and there was fluid coming from the back of my truck and all the cars behind me had there windsheild wipers on, haha, anyway the transmission starting acting wierd then it just stoped working it wouldent shift at all, all it did was rev it would not shift into OD whatsoever so i had to pull onto the side and i sat there for 2 hours waiting for a tow truck i looked under the car and there was tranny fluid everywhere under the car and all over the back, right now its sitting at a transmission place, does this sound like i blew the transmission? or is less serious

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whether you broke something inside or just blew a seal, at this point, you are looking at a rebuild.

Sorry

Robb

well This sucks will it be alot of $? I hope not, I know one thing my off roading days are OVER!

Sounds like a new tranny, which equals $$$. Hehe, the people behind you had their windshield wipers on, LOL. If I where behind you I would've run you off the road and put that poor X out of its misery. :p

did i mention.....?

did i mention that my E Break was on the whole time down the highway?? did that contribute to the problem?

and by the way

Why the heck doesent someone Invent Some kind of new transmission that wont blow and will last forever what year are we in now???? i mean come on, also someone should invent one hole and you can put any fluid for the egine in it and it wil find its way to the right place just like when you eat, digesting food. im sure it can be done

.... Or how about a car that won't let you drive away with the E- brake still on....:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Crankcase
.... Or how about a car that won't let you drive away with the E- brake still on....:rolleyes:

LOL, my GF's Jetta starts beeping like crazy and flashing if you start to drive with teh E-brake on... lol
Pretty funny, scared the crap out of me!! She is such a pain, shes always puts the brake on even if she is on a flat surface.,... and its not even a stick...

whats even funnier is that shes not strong enought o press teh button to release the brake if its yanked all teh way up, so she yanks it half way... :confused:
women...sheesh
but its her car and i dont know anything...
how many of you knew that the turbo in a jetta is in teh trunk... ????? LOL :rolleyes: Talk to my GF she set u straight ..lol

Originally posted by ChuckyD
She is such a pain, shes always puts the brake on even if she is on a flat surface.,... and its not even a stick...

I do that by habit because my first car was a standard.. And as mention before, I've gone home from work with the e-brake on... Isn't that brake light supposed to come on or something? I know it works, I've seen you before!!!! :p Uh, anyway.. It's not real fun to stop and see smoke start rising from under your truck... Looked at my brake, and said oops... Pulled the lever and hoped I still had the brake... I guess that's why the X was so sluggish...:rolleyes:

My brake light doesn't always feel like working when the e-brake is left on but I always remember it when the clutch is almost all the way out and I'm not moving yet. I know my aunt's Lincoln and the Cadillac she had would release the brake when you took it out of park. I never use it much in cars with automatic but that seems like a good idea.

What happened is because you left the e-brake on it caused a big heat buildup in the tranny which caused it to puke the fluid out. Common problem. It may or may not work after you get the fluid changed. It's worth a shot. If not, you will be paying anywhere from 1200-3000 bucks for a rebuild.

Originally posted by Jason_25
What happened is because you left the e-brake on it caused a big heat buildup in the tranny which caused it to puke the fluid out. Common problem. It may or may not work after you get the fluid changed. It's worth a shot. If not, you will be paying anywhere from 1200-3000 bucks for a rebuild.

Oof... Glad that didn't happen to me... Derekjeterkid2 - hope yours will be alright

How dumb are BC laws?? The person who tested me for my licence gave me a point(points are bad) because when i parked i didnt use the E brake("Its called a parking brake" said the stupid person) and told me that it is illegal not to use the E brake even though i parked my automatic on a flat surface...is that really illegal??

I don't think it's illegal here but in drivers ed they said we should always use the e-brake. I know I did it when I parked during my test to be safe.

Re: and by the way

Originally posted by Derekjeterkid2
Why the heck doesent someone Invent Some kind of new transmission that wont blow and will last forever what year are we in now???? i mean come on, also someone should invent one hole and you can put any fluid for the egine in it and it wil find its way to the right place just like when you eat, digesting food. im sure it can be done

you must be a management major???? :rolleyes:

Re: and by the way

Originally posted by Derekjeterkid2

Well for one thing, they're out to make money and a tranny that doesn't blow = no money.

p'z

Just got my truck back from a rebuild yesterday. Aparently there are 3 major companies that offer rebuilt trannsmitions out there. the least expensive is this operation in maine (which i forgot the name of... its like rata or somthing like that). they offer a 2 year, 24000 mile warentee for $2100. ford offers a 2 year 36000 mile warentee but costs $600 more. Another company remanufactures transmitions and adds several improvements to them, resulting in stronger shift points and smother performance. These are offered for $900 more and have a 3 year, 75000 mile warentee.

This is for the second generation 4.0 tranny, and i beleive the 94s have the first gen, which costs considerably less to rebuild (bout 1500).

These prices do not include labor or other parts that need to be replaced. This is based on the prices and offerings of Johnson Tire and Transmition in North Conway NH, who I am VERY satisfied with. My total cost was 2814 including all parts and labor.

On another story... My g/fs neon lost its tranny oil several days after a minor accident. the lines broke, spewing it all over the ground. All it needed was a $30 hose and 10 quarts of tranny oil.

My advice is, if you ever have shift problems, pull over immediatly and let check it out. I didn't do that to my truck, and i probably could have saved the tranny by doing that while driving on Mt Washington.

If your driving on the hiway, and your truck suddenly jumps to 3000+ rpm while doing 65-75 on a flat surface without hard acceleration, PULL OVER! This seems to be a tell tale that the tranny is on its last legs, as i know 3 Xs (including myself) that this happened to hours before blowing the tranny.

I believe I know What happened

The guy at the transmission place said that the transmission over heated causing a seal to crack thus spewing out the fluid, (it was a hot day) but maybe haveing my E Break 3 clicks down contributed to the problem, there wasnt any time to just "pull over" it just died within a couple of minutes anyway luckily my uncle knows the guy who owns the transmission place so im gonna get it done for free:) not the transy rebuild , he also said that ford put the transmissions for mustangs in, instead of a larger one meant for explorers GO FORD! I was wondering why it went so fast ha, I should be getting the Exploder back in about a week so ill let ya know how shes runnin thanks for all your input. Good thing this problem wasnt caused by me off roading the weekend before or else id be paying for the rebuild:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$$

Well I found out yesterday I need a whole new transmission and the price? $2,100. but oh well:( at least ill have my car back

Back