My Explorer Sport Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Sport Build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, but does the vehicle move when you turn the front d.s. by hand?

No Sir it does not. Just the Front D.S. moves freely. Now I do have a Front diff out of a 95 and it has the Vacuum disconnect if that makes a difference.

It has to have the vacuum connected to engage, do you have that?

It has to have the vacuum connected to engage, do you have that?

No I do not. I was thinking about getting another Diff with out the vacuum disconnect and just throw a different one in there. At my Local Pick and Pull they are $60

If your front diff. has the vacuum disconnect, your never going to have power to the front wheels, find a way to lock the disconnect solid, or get the correct diff.

Is the vacuum setup like the PVH hubs where vacuum is applied for a few seconds to switch the mode, or is it locked in while vacuum is applied and then released when it's dumped?

If your front diff. has the vacuum disconnect, your never going to have power to the front wheels, find a way to lock the disconnect solid, or get the correct diff.

I am planning to get the correct Diff and keep this one for later on down the road collect all parts and then put back in with it locked up front with the disconnect.

Is the vacuum setup like the PVH hubs where vacuum is applied for a few seconds to switch the mode, or is it locked in while vacuum is applied and then released when it's dumped?

Not really sure about this sir. I have to get it pulled out and look at it. All I know is that it is from a 95 and it has 2 electrical spades and 2 vacuum posts to hook up.

There is a writeup on the forum for connecting a CAD ( Center Axle Disconnect) to an explorer that did not previously have it. Personally I would want to keep it if you can.

this will show you what you need and how to hook it all up

MountaineerGreen's Selectable Front Diff Swap

There is a writeup on the forum for connecting a CAD ( Center Axle Disconnect) to an explorer that did not previously have it. Personally I would want to keep it if you can.

this will show you what you need and how to hook it all up

MountaineerGreen's Selectable Front Diff Swap

Yeah I read this and read this and so on and still up in the air about it. I guess what I really need to do is really read it and get a parts list and see if I can not get it all done Saturday. Next Saturday I want to head out to the Trails and do some crawling around a bit. Have not been out in a while and really miss it.

Well this last weekend I changed out the Front Diff. She now has 4x4 well as best as you can with an Open Diff in front and LS in the rear that is tired out. This weekend I am planning to head to Rainbow Falls and play around a bit and see what she is capable of.

I will how ever get the 95 Axle back in her when I have all the parts that I will be needing to get that one back in there. Planning to get 4.56 gears and lock the front end and rebuild the rear with Carbon Fiber Clutches. Also planning to get a 2" body lift then some 33" tires. Right now though this is how she is sitting. 30" tires and 3.73s. Just debating on what Locker to get for the front. Lincoln Locker (really cheap) Or is there a locker out there for an IFS dana 35.

After trip in the mountains will post pictures.

Well Saturday went out with the Wife to a local place here in the Springs called Rainbow Falls. Was Super impressed with how well she drove. Got very little pictures but have a lot of Video. Once I am done editing the video I will upload it. But here are a couple pictures of the trip.

This is the Staging area. We were gonna air down but Could not get caps off my tires. So we stayed aired up.
Rainbow Falls 08.jpg

My Explorer in her Natural environment.
Rainbow Falls 05.jpg

Rainbow Falls 07.jpg
Rainbow Falls 06.jpg

Yes there is a Crack in my Wife's Windshield. Gotta love hail in Colorado.
Rainbow Falls 04.jpg

Rainbow Falls 03.jpg

Rainbow Falls 02.jpg

Rainbow Falls 01.jpg

Hopefully soon I will be able to get the video up soon. Might be about Tuesday night that I will be able to finish the video.

I was very happy with how she did on the trail. I tried all the Hard stuff that I knew she should be able to handle and only one spot I smelt the Clutch after getting thru the Obstacle. :) Other then that she did very well. Can not wait til get get bigger tires on her and see where else I can get her going. I think I bumped the front Lower A-Arm and rubbed the Front Driver Leaf spring perch a little but that was about all that I heard and saw when I was out there. Once I get my Daughters Ex going plan on taking both of them out to another trail called China Wall and see how well she does out there.

First video of my Ex on the trail at Rainbow Falls.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cool video....big things come in small packages :)

This is very true. I really can't wait to get bigger tires. I am thinking about getting some 31" tires for now and then when I am able to getting my 33's and 4:10 gears.

I really need to visit the 2nd gen forum more often ha! I’m subscribed now!

Next Saturday 09/15 Going back out to Rainbow falls again just to go and have a good time. You are invited to come along if you can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry it took so long but here is the 2nd part to my video. The Picture in Picture Video my son did. He is 12 and I think he did great.

By the way the Pic in Pic is towards the end of the video.

Back