Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

my first CB radio install (clean install, still working out bugs!)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by LONO100, June 24, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 sport trac XLT
      here are picks of my first cb radio install. i have a brand new cobra cb 19 radio that i got for 25 bucks with shipping on ebay, and a old k40 type magnet mount antenna that i threw on the roof and will do a cleaner job of hiding the wire once i get my roof rack.

my goal was to not drill any holes unless it was for a ground, and i wanted to keep everything as clean as possible. i dont have pics yet of the coax properly tucked and hidden yet, but ill post them up as soon as i get done.

if you see anything in these pics that i should change or if you have any suggestions, please feel free to reply. this is my first cb radio install and i could use all the help.

thanks everyone!

this is where it starts, you cant see from this pic but the magnet mount antenna is in the center rear of my roof above the third brake light. i ran the wire to the right door and under the base of the roof rail
      [​IMG]

i took the plastic trim off from the door jams, and ran the wire along the rubber door seal down to the bottom and then under the trim. hope you can tell from the picture.
      [​IMG]

this is the front passenger seat door jam. if you look on the right, you can see the coax finding its way out of the door jam which i then fed under the rubber floor
      [​IMG]

heres a pic of the wire finding its way under the rubber floor and to where i mounted the cb radio.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is where the coax ended up. it was 15 ft long and landed perfectly where the ash tray is. i removed the ash tray and planned to mount my radio here.
      [​IMG]

this is how i powered the radio: i tapped into fuse #16 which powers down when the key isnt in the on position, so you dont have to worry about turning your cb radio off everytime you jump out of your truck. i ran the power line underneath the fuse plate brackets to keep it extra neat.
      [​IMG]

this is where i grounded the cb radio. this is a metal bracket to the right of the gas pedal. i later changed this and just grounded it behind the brake pedal because i wasnt sure if this was going to work.
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is where my cb radio sits now. i removed the ash tray, and on the bracket that came with the cb radio, i slapped a few layers of outdoor mounting tape and stuck it right on the roof of where the ash tray would sit. i dont smoke so no need for the ash tray!
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      i later took the tape off, and drilled one screw into the black backing plate and used to mount the cb bracket. it holds very solid.

this is how it sits, no wires, no mess!
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

no mess, and easy uninstall were my goals, now all i gotta do is find an swr and then tune this baby. i will post more pics the finished job once i get it all squared away. any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Last edited: September 20, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albany, Western Australia
      2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
      Great work there mate. Clean, sweet install!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Garner, NC
      '97 AWD V8 XLT
      Callsign:
      N1LVN
      Nice detailed install! :thumbsup:

5. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      thanks fellas, im still trying to tune it, ill post more pics of the finished product when i get it all done tomorrow. thanks again!

6. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver,NC
      '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
      Nice job! The Cobra 19 fits in there perfectly. I recently bought a Cobra 75 WX/ST remote mount but haven't installed it yet. I bought an extra remote connector box for my van so I can switch the CB from one vehicle to the other in a flash. Besides, both vehicles have limited mounting areas. You found a great spot in the Trac.

7. rizzjc

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Garner, NC
      '97 AWD V8 XLT
      Callsign:
      N1LVN
      BTW, looking at the photos it looks like you came inside through the top of the door seal. You might want to move that, as it could leak. I usually bring mine down the outside of the door seal and cross over somewhere down the side, instead of right over the top.

8. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      thanks ranchero, i was thinking about getting the handheld, but i couldnt find one cheap enough. i found the cobra 19 brand new for 15 bucks! 25 bucks shipped. hey rizz, thats a good point i didnt think about. so your suggestion would be to run the wire down the back of the truck, and the feed it in through the bottom of the door? i only have a 15 ft coax cable thats connected to the antenna. i would need to get about 5-10 ft more of length to do that. do they make connectors and extensions for cb coax wire? i may need to just buy a new magnet mount antenna with a longer cable. the thing is, i havent seen any for sale that have more that 15 ft of length on the wire.

9. rizzjc

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Garner, NC
      '97 AWD V8 XLT
      Callsign:
      N1LVN
      It's fine where it is, I'd just suggest nut running it over the top of the door gasket. Bring it down the outside of the gasket, and cross over somewhere on the side.

10. ITF36059

ITF36059 New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      2002 XLS
      All I can say is WOW...Nice work and the timing couldn't be better... I'm doing a CB install on my 2002 XLT. I went high. I'm doing a roof mount on this with a Cobra 29LTDBC. the only piece is the power. I got one question, are you like, Houdini? how didja turn yourself upside down an tap into fuse block 16? If there is another place to tap for power, please let me know.

Mike

11. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      thanks ITF, actually, on my 2003 sport trac XLT, one of the fuse boxes is on the side of the dashboard right where the driver's side door would touch the dash when it is closed, so i didnt have to do too much bending and twisting to get to it. if the fuse box in your cabin is too hard to get to, maybe you could feed the power line from your cb radio through the rubber hole in the firewall that is right by the brake pedal and then you could tap a fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay. i wouldnt know which fuses power down when you turn the car off in that box, you will have to do a little trial and error. good luck and post pics!

12. ITF36059

ITF36059 New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      2002 XLS
      LONO,

I got the wiring in today. I pulled the pillar trim off and behold there was a wiring harness! I started check the pins with my voltmeter, and found 12VDC.
      So a crimped a connector to the positive lead the connected the ground through the screw for the visor. So far, so good. I'll post some pics tomarrow alothough I don't have pics with the headliner down. but you'll get an idea of what I did.

Mike

13. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      that is awesome. cant wait to see the pics. what year is your rig? once i throw my roof rack on, im going to post some pictures of my final product of the install too. good luck!

14. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2008 XLT Ironman
      I had originally tried to mount my antenna (Firestik II) in place of the factory am/fm antenna and used a splitter to get my am/fm through the same antenna. it worked fine but the antenna was too heavy duty for the flimsy am/fm mount and the sheet metal in that area flexed too much so it wasn't as sturdy as I wanted.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2625327&postcount=6

So I reinstalled my OEM am/fm antenna, removed the splitter, and moved the firestik to the rear. My SWR performance is the same and it's a lot sturdier.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2626127&postcount=19

15. ITF36059

ITF36059 New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      2002 XLS
      Ok here is how my setup went with a Cobra 29LTDBC on the roof.

[​IMG]

Here is how I tapped into 12VDC on the pillar

[​IMG]

Then I have my Wilson mag mount center on the roof with the coax into the headliner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: June 28, 2011
    16. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      sweet install bro! its great to know that that harness is in the pillar. if you have a crossbar on that roof rail, you can use black zip ties along the crossbar and place the coax for a seamless look on the roof. ill post mine as soon as i can. i was going to finish it up today, but we got some serious rain this morning. ill post pics as soon as i can.

17. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      btw, the ceiling mount is a sweet look. nice radio to. how exactly did you mount it up there? i was thinking about that spot too, but i was worried that the mic cable would get in the way of my mirror.

18. Ranger379

Ranger379 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      middle of nowhere, PA
      '99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
      nice install... that is the perfect place for a cb in the 2nd gens, the 19 fits good. i have a cobra 25 and it fits perfectly snug, cig plug has just enough room to pull down. ziptie the coax to your roof rack, get it snug so it doesnt have much room to move, it WILL leave scuff marks on your roof from moving in the wind.

ITF, that looks awesome mounted there....i was going to do that too, but then went with an ohc... i did mount my scanner on the roof further back....looks ok.

19. LONO100

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      thanks, i finally got my roof rack and im going to finish up the install today. i am also planning on ditching the magnet mount and mounting a cb antenna where my am/fm antenna goes, getting a splitter, and then having both radios share reception with the cb antenna that will now be sitting where the old antenna went. im planning on going with a 2 ft firestik and getting some sort of srping to keep it flimsy if it gets caught in branches or in a cross wind. ill post pics this afternoon.

20. ITF36059

ITF36059 New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      2002 XLS
      Before you do that, do a search in the forums. Someone out here tried it already and found the firestick too heavy for the antenna hole area around the fender and put the stock antenna back. I've done splitters in the past, and their performace sux. I'm looking to reach out and someone when I transmit. I plan on replacing the mag mount also. I'm gonna use a firestick (when I have a couple around the garage). and a hood lip mount and go opposite the antenna.

21. ITF36059

ITF36059 New Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      2002 XLS
      Yeah, I know a mag mount will leave marks, but the 02 Exploder is my 3rd car and mostly used for work. I got 148K on it and I drive 65 miles a day. It's a rare bird in that it's a 5 speed manual and lots of fun to drive.