My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The brush guard could have been much worse. It was a steep incline down an embankment, into a creek with unseen rocks in it. The grill guard did the it's job and caught the big impact. If I hadn't changed the mounts to be bolted directly to the frame rather than a simple clamps who knows how much damage it could have done. And yea I was warned about the tail light guards but I like em. And I wanted to get new tail lights anyway.
The bumper... Well now that it's torn up anyway I can comfortably cut it up for more clearance, and mount lights in a safer location using the factory foglight wiring. So... It's all good. And the body lift will go on as scheduled.
The antenna... Yea... A killer tree reached out and... But it's just the aeriel, a cheap easy fix.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hmm.. I was unaware there was a difference between 94-95 and 99-00 bumpers. I'll look into it.

In 1998 they began having different bumper types. There were two Limited front bumpers, both with the same outer plastic cover. One inner bumper was aluminum, and the other sheet metal with Styrofoam in it. I saw one of the AL types and didn't get back to buy it, mine has the light sheet metal one, slightly bent.

So you can get steel bumpers from 95-98 models.

Well, the Explorer is throwing tantrums. I think its mad I bought the Expedition LOL.
It wouldn't start once I got to work. (Had to drive the Explorer, as my wife drove the Expedition because her Mercedes had a dead battery) Anyway, I had to load the Explorer on a dolly to get it home. Then had to figure out how to get it off the dolly since it wouldn't start, then had to figure out how to get it in the driveway. Anyway, I got it all done.
Now its in the carport. I tested the battery and starter with a multimeter. Its got 12.9 Volts at the batter, 12.24 volts at the starter. but it only clicks when the key is turned. thoughts?

Hold old are the battery cables, and when were the terminals last off and cleaned? Are the terminals still the great OEM type, or the cheap horrible bolt down type? The factory cables are excellent, but after 20 years there can be corrosion build up inside the wires, and then they have to be replaced.

I went through all of that ten years ago with my 91 Lincoln, and my last 98 Explorer had the terminals cut off and used the bolt down type. I replaced those with much better ends, which used soldered lugs.

Here's a picture of Explorer battery cables installed on my 91 Lincoln, I had a spare take off set back then. Now the cables are obsolete, I'd love to buy about four new sets of them.

PICT3222.JPG

PICT3216.JPG

Mike, the clicking is a symptom of battery cable clamps becoming dirty. These trucks are real picky about what is on the battery posts. Clean the clamps and posts real good and see if it helps. Might also be a weak battery if it is over 3 years old.

Battery is 2 years old. The battery is fully charged. The connections are clean and tight. The multi-meter says I've got 12.25 volts at the battery, in the cables, and at the starter.
I pulled the starter off the block, cleaned all the mounting surfaces, and bolted it back in place. Still nothing. I decided to pull the starter completely off and have it tested. While pulled my the wires, the smaller post broke off in the wrench. So looks like I'll be buying a starter anyway, unless it's possible to just buy the solenoid.

Ouch, those little SOB's are fragile. It sounds like you had to R&R the starter anyway to fix the problem.

You can have the starter rebuilt, everything is replaceable. I had three done a few years back, they replaced everything but the armatures and cases.

Bolting the starter in, be sure the small terminal doesn't rotate and touch the big one or the other cable.

Just wondering, do most folks attach the wires and then bolt on the starter? Or vice versa? From the way it's oriented I'd say it's impossible to attach the wires after it's bolted in. But with the wires attached you risk pulling on them and...

I am taking the starter in to Oreillys tomorrow to have it tested just so I'll know. Then install a rebuilt starter.

The starter has to go on first, then the wires. You have to twist the starter a bit to snake it up in there, I doubt it would go with the wires attached.

All of the small starters made for these 302's are very good, so you don't have to be picky about brands like with some older Fords. Ending up with a spare is a good idea, so it's smart to have the old one rebuilt when you can.

Well Oreillys confirmed a bad starter. I'll pick one up tomorrow (the Oreillys that tested it didn't have one in stock) and get it installed. I'll look into a rebuild.

Hmmm...
New starter on Amazon for 1/3 what they cost at Oreillys, just gotta wait til Saturday. Can I leave the explorer in the carport all week.....

New starter went in easier than the old one came out and it started right up. One problem solved. Now to fix the damages caused by my last outing.

IMG_20191012_102252273_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191012_102102609_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191012_102314695_HDR.jpg

Well.. had to make the big cuts... But there is a little more clearance. It'll do till I can swing one of rock rangers bumpers.
Also got the damage around the tail lights fixed.

IMG_20191116_112400099_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191116_112338723_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191116_112331955_HDR.jpg

New light mounts arrived. Can't wait to mount them. Suggestions for lights. These go on the fenders near the firewall.

IMG_20191231_123000284.jpg

Went with some 140 watt LED lights from Amazon, can't remember the brand right now. They are very light and thin. Haven't wired them yet, ran out of daylight. Not sure I really like them yet, we'll see. Don't know why the side angles shots came out so dark, took all pics within a minute.

I bought some yellow fog lights to replace the factory fogs that I lost when I cut the bumper. They'll be mounted to tabs that will be welded to the grill guard. I've got the tabs cut out but haven't welded them on yet.

IMG_20200104_175249213.jpg

IMG_20200104_175258458.jpg

IMG_20200104_172618637.jpg

IMG_20200104_172627688.jpg

IMG_20200104_175308927.jpg

IMG_20200104_175319466.jpg

IMG_20200104_175332883.jpg

Cool beans. Update after wired up please.

Might be too late, but....

Lowes sells 1/4" thick L brackets for unistrut. Only a few bucks, and work perfect for mounting to the sides of that bull bar vertical plate. Holes are 1/2" in them. Find them in the electrical pipe isle.

Back