My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet, i miss my 99 awd actually. I traded it for my 93 limited. I miss the 5.0 power, but i didnt want to do the swap and all that. 93 has twin sticks and was ready to hit the trails as soon as i got it. You will love that 5.0 alot more with that tcase swap trust me!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

OK. I have all i need to do the 4x4 Tcase swap. Just got a shift boot from a 98 F250 on eBay. Now all i need is time... LoL and good friends. :)

We'll have to get a date set for this. I will help where I can, but I think we'll need more hands on.

I have coworkers who are gear heads... Even better they are young, strong gear heads. LoL. I've been working on a date, but it'll be a while. We're off to see my folks starting Mem. Day. And a week after returning from that we're headed for a church camp. Now that i have the parts I'll work on getting a definite weekend set aside. Of course any members who would like to come help are welcome. :)

Looks like June 13-14 I'll be going from AWD to 4WD :)

While in Florida, I came across a company that manufactures VERY small campers. As I looked at them two thoughts crossed my mind. With a little extra ground clearance (I.E. swapping the axle so its under the springs instead of over them, and larger tires) these would make pretty nice trail campers. The other thought was how easy it would be to make one on my own. :)

The name of the company is "Runaway Campers". They are currently retooling to make the campers slightly larger (6x8 on the inside I believe) to make room for a larger mattress or two smaller ones. they do have a website.

www.runawaycampers.com

I don't have anything to do with the company and I'm posting this just to let anyone out there who is looking for a small camper of another option.

Attachments

• img27402546677eecaf0d.jpg
    img27402546677eecaf0d.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 294
  • img2246552fd6c15b087c.jpg
    img2246552fd6c15b087c.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 297
  • img53655466778e203ee.jpg
    img53655466778e203ee.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 300
  • img9067546677ba726c2.jpg
    img9067546677ba726c2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 295

LoL that is precisely the complaint that my wife has... Cant stand up to get dressed.

Well my explorer now has a 4x4 transfer case. Good news! Many thanks to turdle for supplying the brains and know how and to my friend and co-worker Josh for taking time to provide the muscle needed.
Now the bad news. We got everything installed only to discover that the rear driveshaft did not come with a flange to attach to the differential. I'm going to have to wait till Monday to get that remedied.

ForumRunner_20150613_224230.jpg

ForumRunner_20150613_224248.jpg

ForumRunner_20150613_224305.jpg

ForumRunner_20150613_224322.jpg

ForumRunner_20150613_224230.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150613_224341.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150613_224341.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 277

Molly is such a good dog!

Glad I could come and help where I could. Hope you get this wrapped up without any further issues.

I think I found another skid plate to weld to your present one as a double up. :thumbsup:

Also, I believe the driver side of the skid plate will need about 1/4" spacing between it and the frame to allow for the transfer case. Let me know if you have this issue.

Molly is such a good dog!

Glad I could come and help where I could. Hope you get this wrapped up without any further issues.

I think I found another skid plate to weld to your present one as a double up. :thumbsup:

Also, I believe the driver side of the skid plate will need about 1/4" spacing between it and the frame to allow for the transfer case. Let me know if you have this issue.

So glad you mentioned the Skid Plate.. My heads been so wrapped up with the driveshaft flange issue I had forgotten to put it on! I'll get that done right now. I'm currently in the garage seeing about getting the interior back together. fighting the shifter boot. I just couldn't get the ford one to fit to my satisfaction, so I'm using a good ol' fashioned Mr. Gasket 4-speed boot.

As for Molly. LOL I have no idea how she came to be such a good dog. It isn't due to my infinite wisdom or skills as a trainer that's for sure!

Yep, the skid plate wont clear by about half inch. I have spacers, but need longer bolts. I'll get those tomorrow.

Ohh It just gets better and better. Picked up a rear driveshaft flange because the shaft I bought didn't come with one. But the new one didn't fit. When the salvage yard insisted it should fit (and they are trustworthy) I began looking further into things. the driveshaft I have is several inches too long, and won't fit into the transfer case. Now I need to find the correct driveshaft and somehow fit it into the budget along with new u-joints. Anyone need a driveshaft of unknown origin? I think it fits a 2-wheel drive expedition.

For those of you who missed it on the other thread, my Explorer is now officially a 4x4. :) the driveshaft I picked up from the salvage yard today fit great, and has u-joints that will suffice till I can afford to install new Spicer units. The truck runs great, steering is lighter, and we have yet to see how the mileage is affected. I'd love to get a set of locking hubs next. ;)

For those of you who missed it on the other thread, my Explorer is now officially a 4x4. :) the driveshaft I picked up from the salvage yard today fit great, and has u-joints that will suffice till I can afford to install new Spicer units. The truck runs great, steering is lighter, and we have yet to see how the mileage is affected. I'd love to get a set of locking hubs next. ;)

quote to other thread? Im thinking about doing this to my 97 xlt

Cant do a direct quote with my phone. But do a search for BW 4406 swap and multiple threads on the topic appear. I followed mountaineergreens thread.

Found out what happened with the wrong driveshaft, if anyone is curious.. lol even if you're not.

I took the driveshaft to the local salvage yard hoping they could identify it, making it easier for me to sell it and recoup some of my losses. They immediately identified it as one they had sold me back in October 2014. Their computers said I had bought a driveshaft from a 2000 Expedition (what I had asked for) but the number on the shaft itself identified it as from a 2000 Silverado. Both numbers were off by one digit, and the stock person they had sent after the shaft from the warehouse had misread it (dyslexia?). I was unaware of the error until after I had new Spicer U-joints installed. Because of the error, they have given me an open offer to replace the cost of the shaft, but not the cost of the new u-joints. I'm still trying to sell the Driveshaft, but if I can't get it sold I'm going to take it to the salvage yard and see if I can get a better deal on "store credit" than I can with a cash refund.

Christmas arrived early. I'm installing new Rancho 5000 series shocks on the front today.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

Latest updates:

Installed 7-pin connector for towing the new camper
added "helper" springs to help with towing (until I can pick up an equalizer hitch)
put "FX4" decals on the quarter panels, just cause I wanted to. :)

New plug, new decals....

20160301_150928_zpshy6gijcw.jpg

20160316_151651_zpsjvr7oxoo.jpg

20160316_151708_zpsm1ituxxk.jpg

Back