1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

My first marathon coming up January 12th

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by mattadams, January 1, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. mattadams

mattadams Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Explorer Sport
    I've gotten out of the auto projects in recent years as I've gotten into more fitness activities. Two years ago, I started trying to lose some weight and running was one of my primary methods. I lost about 50 pounds and have gotten into pretty good shape. Back in September I did my first half marathon and its been in preparation for this full marathon that I have going on. I've been raising funds for it since April or May and have raised about $4000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/vtnt/wdw14/mattadams

I am flying out next Thursday for the Walt Disney World Marathon. my company has about 100 people doing the half-marathon, the marathon, or a combination thereof and we've raised more than any other teams by far, so looking forward to it.

Wish me luck, and donate a couple bucks if you'd like! :)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. AspenX

AspenX Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Garland, TX Aspen,Co
    99 EB 4x4,04 Z06 Corvette
    Congrats and how did it go?

4. mattadams

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2017 Explorer Sport
    Well, I finished, that is something! :)
    I ended up taking about 6:09:10... my goal was to do it in 5 1/2 hours but it was my first full-length marathon and the last few miles I ended up hobbling a bit more than I expected, so that's why it took a bit longer... but it was SO much fun... doing it in Disney World was really cool - started out in epcot, ran to magic kingdom, then down to animal kingdom, then through Hollywood studios, then back to epcot. It was really an awesome memory and on top of that, I raised about $4,000 for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and our whole team raised over $400,000 for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, so that was really awesome on top of everything!
    We got to see the parks a bit as well... it was my first time to Disney World so I'd never seen any of it before. Didn't get to spend as much time in the parks as I'd have liked, but maybe some other time... I at least got a "taste" of each of the parks and got to ride a few rides at each park and got my picture taken with a lot of the characters, including my highlight - snow white :).

5. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Nicely done!! :thumbsup:

6. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..That sounds awesome..:biggthump

..We had the Marathon's out here at Disneyland at the same time..I did not know they were being held at both theme parks.

..Oh yea...Pictures of Snow White please..:D

7. mattadams

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2017 Explorer Sport
    I thought Disneyland only did half-marathons... not enough space for a full, LOL.
    Snow White was much more "goody goody" then I expected... maybe its just my weird perverse memory but I seem to remember her being a little more on the darker side of things than many of the standard princesses... or maybe that's just a fantasy built in my head somewhere? :)

Trying to explain to Snow White why I am better than a dwarf:
    [​IMG]

Snow White saying she can't "actually" kiss me but she can "pretend" :)
    [​IMG]

8. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..Hittin' on Snow White...You are the Man..:biggthump

..and all I know about the Disneyland Marathons is that I have to be out of the area before 5 a.m. cause that's when they shut down the streets and freeway on/off ramps..

..I know they shut down a lot of streets in the area I normally travel and always just thought they were full marathons..I looked it up after you mentioned it and it appears that all of the Disneyland races are only half marathons and the DisneyWorld races are the full Marathons..

..And we all know Disneyland is the original and the best..:p:

..Btw...Dang have you gotten thin..Congrats..:D

9. mattadams

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2017 Explorer Sport
    ha! I was actually thinking of going out to do the Disneyland marathon in august but the wife can't go and she's not really wild about me doing it without her (i.e. she wants a trip as well... LOL).
    I've lost about 50 pounds in the past 2 years... its eben about even the last year or so, though I think if anything I put weight on during the hardcore marathon training... I think because I justify overeating with the fact that I burned a lot of calories, forget that I burned them days ago... LOL.

10. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..Let us know if you do head out to Disneyland as you will have team support, fan base, and help if needed for your run..;)

..Snow White heard about this and said she would be there also..:biggthump

11. Khiori

Khiori Member

City, State:
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    2009 Toyota Tacoma
    Thanks T-Bars for suggesting I take a look in this forum!

How fun to have run the WDW Marathon! Today is open registration for the races again. I briefly considered doing Dopey (5K, 10K, 1/2 and full challenge) but then I realized I wasn't *that* crazy! I'm signed up for the DDD at Disneyland this fall. It's going to be a blast!

12. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..We hope to hear a lot more from you and Matt on your marathons and your bikes...hopefully others will post new threads too including their training for these events..

..If you guys need a pit crew for Disneyland, we got you covered..:D

13. mattadams

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2017 Explorer Sport
    I had to pick and choose my vacations for the year and unfortunately the disneyland run filled up fast... I'm hoping to do the WDW marathon again this year though, anyone interested in helping me raise funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for it? :)

14. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    .I know you were here..I had to take the freeway and drive twelve miles just to get across the street..

..I hope you and Ritsui and recovering well..:D

15. mattadams

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2017 Explorer Sport
    Well I am about two months away from my next half-marathon :). I'd originally signed up for the full marathon, but had a variety of complications (late start on training due to a appendix/gall bladder/double hernia surgery, then a very eradic travel schedule that has had me traveling much more than normal all over the globe, but with no regularity needed for full marathon training), and decided it would be safer to reduce it to the half marathon. It's still quite a distance (13.1 miles) and I'm still training for it, just not as regularly as I was for the full marathon.
    If anyone is interested in helping out with a donation, check out my fundraising page:
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/vtnt/wdw15/mattadams80

16. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..Wow..Sounds like you spent the summer in the hospital..:(

..But here's a bump for your cause..:D

17. mattadams

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2017 Explorer Sport
    My 4-in-1 surgery was actually outpatient, if you can believe that, but it kept me off my feet for several weeks and it was at least two months or so before I felt comfortable jogging again, so that set back my training quite a bit. On the plus side, no more gall stones, no more worry about a gall bladder attack, and I don't have to worry about appendicitis at any point in my lifetime :). Plus my hernias were causing a lot of pain, so it helped to get those taken care of as well.