my fluids | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my fluids

jrguzmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer 4.0
I'm going to replace my fluids this weekend (front diff, rear diff and transmission) all with this pump:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Does it matter that I use the same pump for different fluids?

Also, I'll be using Mobil 1 for the diffs, but they have a built-in friction modifier, I don't have limited slip, can I still use Mobil 1?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to replace my fluids this weekend (front diff, rear diff and transmission) all with this pump:

Does it matter that I use the same pump for different fluids?>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No, you can use the same pump for all the fluid changes, just cleanout the lines and the pump itself when it comes time to refill the tranny if you do the diff's first. Use some parts cleaner and compressed air to blow out the lines clean. Then pump some fresh tranny fluid thru the pump and lines prior to re-filling the tranny till you get clean tranny fluid coming out. Just make sure you cleaned all the gear oil out of it. Don't want any gear oil mixing with the new tranny fluid. Reverse order if you do the tranny first. If you aren't sure about how well you cleaned out the pump, then buy a second pump for use on the tranny fluid only. BTW, might as well do your "transfer case" while you are at it.

>>>>>>>>>>Also, I'll be using Mobil 1 for the diffs, but they have a built-in friction modifier, I don't have limited slip, can I still use Mobil 1?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, you can still use Mobil 1 75W-140 for the rear diff even if you "don't have" the Limited Slip rear diff. I have the same diff (open) and used Mobil 1as well. Also spoke to my mechanic about it and he said not a problem to use, won't harm a thing, the friction modifier additive in Mobil 1. It's been a year since I changed mine and not a problem in the rear diff at all. The friction modifier is a needed additive for "limited" slips, but does not harm "open" diffs. FYI, the front diff uses a different weight gear oil than the rear in case you didn't know.

I think I''ll buy another pump for the diffs...my peace of mind is worth the 10.00. Transfer case...good idea....I can use the same ATF (Mobil 1) for the transfer case, correct?

I think I''ll buy another pump for the diffs...my peace of mind is worth the 10.00. Transfer case...good idea....I can use the same ATF (Mobil 1) for the transfer case, correct?
>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, for the $10 it's worth it, saving the hassle of cleaning the pump and hose lines out. Don't know if Mobil 1 makes tranny fluids, haven't ever used them or looked for them. The Transfer Case uses plain "MERCON" if you have a 4WD model and holds approx 1.5 quarts according to the "Haynes manual". The complete tranny holds 12.7 quarts of tranny fluid, Mercon-V ATF, but you'll only be replacing what comes out of the tranny pan. Not sure how much that holds. 5-6 quarts is my guess. Rear diff holds 1.75 quarts of gear oil. Front diff uses 80W-90 weight gear oil, but no mention of how much it holds in manual. Probably a quart and a half or so. Just fill it up till it starts to drip out of the check hole while filling it up on a level surface, your full then.

get the 3.99 coupon and buy 2 for the price of 1, its harbor freight they have a coupon for everything, i know for a fact they have one for the pump

Thub said:
get the 3.99 coupon and buy 2 for the price of 1, its harbor freight they have a coupon for everything, i know for a fact they have one for the pump

Their coupons vary by region and even sometimes by store. He might not have the same coupons as you.

Back