• Register Today It's free!

My great old Aerostar.

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
Just made it down here in Florida from Ohio, loaded down and a Motorcycle carrier with a moped on it in the Class III hitch. What a great,dependable vehicle! YeeiiPeeeee! don-ohio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh great, more snow BIRDS!!!!
HAHA, have fun wherever you are!

Just made it down here in Florida from Ohio, loaded down and a Motorcycle carrier with a moped on it in the Class III hitch. What a great,dependable vehicle! YeeiiPeeeee! don-ohio
@don-ohio
Good for you! I've always wondered about those Aerostars, weren't they offered in 4-Wheel drive? Tell me something about that, if you care to! imp

all wheel drive which means some of the power reaches the front wheels.

all wheel drive which means some of the power reaches the front wheels.
@zenish
Yes. What is your point, though? I just wondered if the guy's Aerostar was a 4X4 or 2X4; how Ford did that, or if they weren't ALL 2X4s, I dunno. imp

The E-4WD transfer case divides power between the front & rear wheels. It's not like the Explorer transfer case which has low gear settings. That type of transfer case is better for hill climbing or off roading. This type of of transfer case is only good for icy road conditions or for getting out of ice patches. Keep in mind that you will always have moving parts even when it's not engaged so don't expect to get good gas mileage.

@don-ohio
Good for you! I've always wondered about those Aerostars, weren't they offered in 4-Wheel drive? Tell me something about that, if you care to! imp
The awd aerostar has a front axle and cv shafts out to the wheels, similar to the 02-10 explorer or the 97 up F150. The awd is fulltime, 1/3 power up front and 2/3 to the back. Speed sensors detect wheel slip, a clutch in the transfer case locks the axles for a few seconds, unlocks to check for slippage and will repeat as necessary.
Don, good to hear from you, did you track the fuel economy of the trip?

At Josh and everyone. Gas mileage was between 19 and 21,I'd say. We were bucking a stiff south wind coming down. Had enough wind to knock several cars and PUs off the 4-lanes. One gust moved the van about 3 ft. over as we came down on I-26.
To imp...…..I have an extended wheelbased XL 2 wheel drive.
Thanks,everyone!

That's good gas mileage. What is the size of the engine? Do you have the 4.0L OHV? By the way, Rick added another subsection for Aerostar parts the other day. We only have a couple of threads in there so far.

Thanks,Brooklyn! Yeah,pretty good mileage. It's a 4.0 and runs like new!

20 or so mpg with a headwind is decent. You know when winter is here cause the color of the license plates change.

It's around 125,000 Brooklyn. I thought it was more,but I was wrong.

Yeah,Josh, it's a great engine . I love the 4.0...……...power,acceleration and on REGULAR 87 octane.

Well, another trip North a few weeks ago in my great old Aerostar. No probs and 20 mpgs. Had it loaded to the gills as always with my irreplaceable tools and instruments. Too hot to stay in FL. HaHa!
Had one surprise before leaving Amelia Island though...........inner tie rod on passenger side was really bad loose. Hot driveway to work on, but got that side replaced and set my toe-in. Caused a 2 day delay leaving FL.
Never replaced an inner tie rod before. Just bought a new rack and pinion usually.

The humidity in FL is worse than the hot temps.

Back