• Register Today It's free!

my horsepower?

redman9971

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 limited
jus wondering.... how much horsepower and torque does my 2000 limited explorer have, 5.0L v8

and one more question, I am 17 and my dad doesnt reely want me doing anything to extreme to my x. iv allready got flowmaster exhaust and was wondering what i should do about my air filter. i was planning on getting jus the drop in filter but i have been reading and it sounds like the intake is the way to go but a little extra work. is the intake taht much different than the drop in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 X's have the 5.0 Litre? :confused: I thought the 2nd generation had the 4.6 Litre V-8 like in the newer GT Mustangs (The modular engine) . You sure it's a 5.0 Litre?

exploeres had the 5.0 untill 2001... the new 2002's and 2003's ahve the 4.6

Oh ok. Whoops. Duh...I just read my 2Ks manual and it gives capacities for the 5.0 Litre V-8. Heh...sorry about that. What do the 5.0 Litre make? Like 230 HP or something? My SOHC makes 210. I hope it makes more than the V-6. :eek: At least it makes more torque. That can't be denied :D

The 5.0 make about 205-210..................sorry about that. The 4.6 is a whole new design and makes more HP with less displacement.

Robb

The 96-97 302 makes 210 HP and 275 ft.-lb. of torque. The 98-2001 302 makes 215 HP and 288 ft.-lb. of torque.

A 17 year with a 2000 limited. Almost every kid at my shcool had a car bought for them but thats a little excessive. Am I the only kid in this world who paid for his car?

nope... im 21 now.. but i leased my truck when i was 19.. all on my own...no help from mom or dad..

Paid cash for mine at 16. Yay stock market! Um, stock market back then :fire:

Originally posted by Alec
Paid cash for mine at 16. Yay stock market! Um, stock market back then :fire:

Haha no kidding... I did the same thing... Now I'd be lucky if my portfolio could buy me a tire! :rolleyes:

No, I paid for the 1st ('91) when I was 17 and the 3rd ('97 Mountaineer) when I was 20. The second ('94) when I was 18 was a quasi-HS graduation gift since it was really that my dad didn't want my sister wrecking the good vehicle at the time (May 1997). What helped me was a part-time job in HS and LDDS Comm. (Worldcom) stock. When I bought the '97 ('99), if I had waited another year, I could have bought 3 Expeditions instead, but since my sister wrecked the '91 and my '94, I eneded something bad, and the Mountaineer was available.

You must be at a high school like mine. I was the laughing stock since my 1st vehicle was 5 years old when I finally got it (2 years after everyone else) and the second one when I graduated was still 3 years old. My parking lot looked like the parking lot of a luxury import autoplex.

Man, have things changed. My first car was an '85 Ford EXP (not short for Explorer) with a 5 speed manual transmission. I paid cash, all of 45 bucks, for the entire car, including the blown engine. Got a 1.6L 4cyl from the junkyard east of town, an assortment of replacement bulbs, and even the '85 vintage radio. Radio was 20 bucks. Got some aftermarket (cheap) speakers at Wal-Mart, and to touch it all off, the pine tree air freshener and seat covers. All told, I paid about 500 bucks, and had a fun car to drive (all sticks are fun). Lasted a year and a half. My job paid for my pilot's license, not my car.

As my professor says, you can't take the EE out of Geek. But then again, I'm not about to design a mechanical substitute for computers and flat-screen televisions. Good luck in your job search.

My parents couldn't afford to buy me a car

I got a job and worked hard for my first car and I took benny the bus to work(city bus) or I walked. Mostly, I walked to and from work or got a ride from my buddy home. I paid $800 for my first ride a 79 Ford Thunderbird with a engine from an 82 thunderbird a 302 V8. That was a real nice car with leather and T-Tops custom installed by previous owner. That was my pride enjoy then I had an 82 Olds Delta 88 Brogham fully loaded like a Caddy with a 307 V8. This car was a piece of crap because the motor was bad but the car looked and ran good for a while then it just died and seized up. Then I got a 78 Pontiac Lemans with a 305 V8 and that was pretty decent, then I got a 68 Dodge Dart with a slant 6 and I loved that car with that car gas mileage was excellent didn't cost me hardly anything to run that vehicle.:D

All my cars were paid with cash from working my tail off

All my cars were paid for by me, the money was earned by working my tail off and saving up. To this day, I still work and buy everything for my truck with money I earn from work and no one has helped me out, granted would of been nice to have my vehicle paid for.

I think that must be a Wisconsin thing...work. At least it was when I was in high school, an ancient 5 years ago.

A 17 year with a 2000 limited. Almost every kid at my shcool had a car bought for them but thats a little excessive. Am I the only kid in this world who paid for his car?

a bit excessive for a 17 yr old to have a 2 year old car? ok, its a great car, but listen to some of the stuff kids have at my school. new bmw's (assorted models, probably 5 in all) new mustangs (at least 20 in the lot, some nicer than others) brand new jeep grand cherokees (at least 3 or 4) and lets not get into the trucks, but to give you a hint, there's at least 5 brand new (or at least newer than 2000)full size trucks...lifted trucks by the way. me? i love my '95 explorer...which there are about 15 of in the lot :D (not 95's but explorers in general)

i think people these days are too judgemental and critical when they hear some kids parents bought them a car. i am still paying for my 2000xlt and im 20. i know how hard it is to work and the value of a penny. i grew up in a predominantly rich neighborhood,, friends with hummers, bmw, ferraris, etc.. they have fountains in ther houses, multiple pools, some inside their homes. but even though some kids have alot of money.. the ones that dont flaunt it i respect. they might not know how hard it is for some people to earn a dollar, but they dont go around flashing money and their possesions.

For example, i go to a state school in new york in buffalo. People here are mostly from the western new york region and are mostly farming or industrial workers. most of the kids here have pickups or old beat up cars. my x isnt anything special. However some kids do have audi s4s, acura integra type r's, bmw 3 series, and one even has the 2002 cadillac escalade. i happen to know one of the kids wtih an s4 and the kid with the escalade. obviously their parents spent some cash and bought them some nice rides, but they dont flaunt it. they never talk about it, and dont show off. i respect people like that. i dont think itz fair how some get a escalade as their first car, and how some cant buy even a pinto till they are 30. but u cant bash on someone for his parents being financially successful. i think peopel should just cut the kid some slack and just be helpful to his questions.

Originally posted by jssong
i think people these days are too judgemental and critical when they hear some kids parents bought them a car. i am still paying for my 2000xlt and im 20. i know how hard it is to work and the value of a penny. i grew up in a predominantly rich neighborhood,, friends with hummers, bmw, ferraris, etc.. they have fountains in ther houses, multiple pools, some inside their homes. but even though some kids have alot of money.. the ones that dont flaunt it i respect. they might not know how hard it is for some people to earn a dollar, but they dont go around flashing money and their possesions.

For example, i go to a state school in new york in buffalo. People here are mostly from the western new york region and are mostly farming or industrial workers. most of the kids here have pickups or old beat up cars. my x isnt anything special. However some kids do have audi s4s, acura integra type r's, bmw 3 series, and one even has the 2002 cadillac escalade. i happen to know one of the kids wtih an s4 and the kid with the escalade. obviously their parents spent some cash and bought them some nice rides, but they dont flaunt it. they never talk about it, and dont show off. i respect people like that. i dont think itz fair how some get a escalade as their first car, and how some cant buy even a pinto till they are 30. but u cant bash on someone for his parents being financially successful. i think peopel should just cut the kid some slack and just be helpful to his questions.
I agree with jssong, the neighborhood I live in is about as snobby as you can get, every house here is basically a mansion on the Intracoastal with obviously some kids that are cool and appreciate what they have (me) or other kids (like my neighbor's kid) who don't appreciate anything they have. If a parent buys their kid a car I mean it's up to them, they wouldn't do it obviously unless they were finnancially able to. But I think it's wrong when the kid doesn't appreciate what he was given.

If you guys think being given a 2000 Limited is a lot, you should see where I live:
Like my neighbors kid for example, they got him his 1st car when he turned 16 a brand new 02' BMW M3, he later trashed that then they bought him an 02' Porsche 911 which he soon enough trashed also, then his dad just gave him their 03' Cobra and remember the kid just turned 17 years old. In my neighborhood alone theres a kid driving a brand new Aston Martin, a few kids that have M5's, one is 18yrs old with a new Ferrari 360 Modena, more beemers than I can count, and another kid has a RennTec Mercedes E430 and a bunch of other cars like those. At least theres a few Explorers:)

Don't take this as I'm bragging or something cause I hate stuck up rich snobs, but:
If you only saw our house for example, and it's big, about 7100sq ft. under air and right around 8000 total, you would automatically assume that I was some rich snob and probably drove a new Lexus or whatever. But thats not true at all, I was given a 94' Explorer and loved it. You would probably think my mom was driving a Bentley or something. But all we have is her 00' Mounty, and the 94' which is my sisters now as I'm waiting for our dealer to get in an 02' Mounty. And yes I don't have to pay for the 02' Mounty as I'm working my ass off at college to get good grades which isn't easy when you go out a lot.

It's just like jssong said, we don't flash around money or anything or try to show off, I was just raised like that and could care less about being flashy or whatever, and everyone that is friends with my family respects us for that. You probably wouldn't even think like that of us unless you saw our house.

Kids that do have to pay for their own car, I give them mad props b/c I don't know how they do it especially if your going to college and have a job at the sametime.

A little off-topic but, this is something I've notied especially around my college, it seems the kids that are really wealthy really don't show off that much but the ones that aren't seem to try to be as flashy as they can like their trying to fit in or something.

Sorry for the long rambling:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hehe, I'm a little suprised nobody **** a brick when I mentioned the cars kids drive in my neighborhood where I live. If you think being given an Explorer as a kid is crazy, how about an Aston Martin or Ferrari? I think some of you guys would run em off the road and beat the crap outta them for being given a car like that:D

Back