My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer | Page 55 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My latest project: 1970 Dodge Dart 512 C.I. Bracket Racer

Some of you may remember that I used to have a 1972 Dodge Dart which I drag raced.

DSC_0322.jpg

Well, I got the itch to get back into racing:burnout: Our new house is only 3 miles from the Speedworld racetrack and I can faintly hear them running the cars from our house. It was just too much for me to bare;) I haven't been doing much in the way of local fourwheeling, so I thought drag racing would give me something to do on the weekends.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart off of E-bay. The car was located in New Jersey, a mere 2500 miles from home:eek: I decided this was the right car for me mainly because I really needed to get out of the house on my own for a couple weeks and this was just the excuse I needed;)

The car is going to be stripped and repainted. It will get new quarter panels, at least one rocker, one floorpan, new door hinges, fiberglass hood, bumpers, and most likely trunk lid as well.

The new color will most likely be orange, but it just may end up being red, like my old one. Plans for it include a 650HP, 512 CI, big block Mopar and an automatic transmission. I'm just not sure if it will be from BB or SB or whether or not it will even be a Mopar:eek: I plan on ditching the torsion bar front suspension for an aftermarket K member which gives you rack and pinion steering, upgraded brakes, and the choice of coilover shocks or airbag suspension.

The rear end in the car right now is a trussed Mopar 8 3/4", with a three link suspension and coilovers.

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!:chug:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That fisheye is deep!

180 degree coverage. You've really got to watch the edges of the frame to make sure nothing is in there that you weren't expecting:eek:

Car's running great in the cooler weather. Ran a 10.32 @ 129.68 last night. Entered my first competition. Won one round, then lost by 3/100ths to a car that ran within 1/100th of it's dial in...

Photos are cars that ran the last couple rounds. The Blue Ford won overall.

Attachments

• 1D7_0112_sml.jpg
    1D7_0112_sml.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 523
  • 1D7_0114_sml.jpg
    1D7_0114_sml.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 474
  • 1D7_0115_sml.jpg
    1D7_0115_sml.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 487
  • 1D7_0113_sml.jpg
    1D7_0113_sml.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 490

Attachments

• 1D7_0121_sml.jpg
    1D7_0121_sml.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 490
  • 1D7_0118_sml.jpg
    1D7_0118_sml.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 1D7_0117_sml.jpg
    1D7_0117_sml.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 508
  • 1D7_0119_sml.jpg
    1D7_0119_sml.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 486

Arizona Auto Scene's photographer was at the track last night and grabbed these shots:

Great fisheye shot!

I noticed your mention of the first run with the 4.11s. I cannot remember - what had you been running? I'm sure that's noted somewhere in the prior 1,070 posts but I'm too lazy too look that up :D

I started with 3.73 gears.

The pics are incredible. :thumbsup:

I always thought the bracket racers had their dial in time displayed on the glass of the vehicle. :scratch:

Must be just what they do at places I have been, & not everywhere. :dunno:

Those shots were from the time runs before the actual races. Photographer was gone before the races started. We didn't get finished until 1am. Guess it was past their bed times.

Almost a year to the day since I've had the Dart on the track... And I won my first race last night!!!:burnout:

I came in first in a field of 17 cars. Ran until 2:30 AM!

:bounce:

Track photographer was taking a lot of pics. Hope to have some up soon.

They call it a "gambler" race where everyone kicks in $10 to the pot. The winner and runner up take a percentage and the rest goes in the pot for the end of the year points winner. Last night I won $85.00.

Almost a year to the day since I've had the Dart on the track... And I won my first race last night!!!:burnout:

I came in first in a field of 17 cars. Ran until 2:30 AM!

:bounce:

Track photographer was taking a lot of pics. Hope to have some up soon.

They call it a "gambler" race where everyone kicks in $10 to the pot. The winner and runner up take a percentage and the rest goes in the pot for the end of the year points winner. Last night I won $85.00.

OLutstanding!! Congrats!!! :chug: Looking for the pics!!

That's awesome, Rick! The best looking car of the bunch as well.

Thanks! It's a really mixed bunch from 10 sec to 14 sec cars. Makes for some good racing. Chasing down a car that's 4 seconds slower is pretty cool! It doesn't seem like you could possibly beat him to the stripe, but just at the end, there ya are!

Went out for a test and tune session last night. Ran a new best of 10.29 @ 129. Air was good, but could have been better. Density Altitude was 2555 at 69deg and 40% humidity.

That blue Torino brings back memories from high school.

Here is a pic of my buddies Torino from high school. Ex-granny mobile. The fatties that were on the back were dry-rotted, so those steelies were thrown on so it could be hauled on a trailer from either Wyoming or Colorado, down to Oklahoma.

14242_1214625964364_1190270453_30629277_4274556_n.jpg

Back