• Register Today It's free!

EXP97LORER

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi there,
I just though I'd take a minute to share what I've done to my 97 Explorer, while keeping a relatively stock appearance.

First, I decided to replace the stock dash lights with LEDs. Many of them were burnt out, and I was getting tired of the green hue. By putting in white LEDs, I ended up with a nice light blue color.

DASHB.jpg

DASH.jpg

Next, I decided to add keyless entry. This car was actually sold with Keyless entry as part of the XLT Package, but the dealer instead installed an engine immobilizer. The immobilizer was removed, and I installed keyless entry. The kit was just 18 dollars, and it was really easy to wire into the rear door lock switch.

KEYLESS.jpg

I've also done a few other small upgrades to the car. For example, the pocket under the aftermarket stereo is a wireless charger. All I have to do is toss my phone into the pocket, and boom, it charges.

INT.jpg

All of the dome light have been upgraded to leds, providing a nice white light when the car is opened. I spent hours tracking down and eliminating every rattle, either by replacing trim clips or finding loose bolts. The car runs solid, with just over 120,000 original miles on the SOHC V6. All belts, hoses, and other wearable parts have been replaced. The seats are heated (aftermarket part, about $80), and I have wired heated mirrors to the rear window defrost switch. Also, many exterior upgrades have been done, such as new headlights and chrome grille. All of this has been done while maintaining the stock appearance of the car.
EXT.jpg

This picture doesn't do the paint justice- I did a full pain correction, and it has been left with no swirl marks and shines like a mirror (when its actually bright out).

Any other suggestions of modern conveniences I could add to the car while still keeping it stock? I really like the style of the older SUVs, but I wanted to go for some of the modern features.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my power inverter. Next on my list is a quality on board compressor, and rear bags to stiffen it up.

I like those gauge lights!

I have LEDs too, yours look a bit more even.

Android HU, rear coilovers, Poly swaybar bushings....

Very nice, I have a 95 - i love these because they look how SUVs should look imo (everything these days are too rounded imo) and mine has also been very reliable. I'm thinking of getting new headlights too, because mine are yellow and nasty as heck lol. Where did you get yours? I'm thinking of either some with a black housing because i got a dark grey explorer and i think they would look. Maybe the ones with the halos. though I agree, I like to keep a stock appearance overall with slight mods to enhance the look.

I really like the looks of your explorer! The white looks amazing, and combined with the new grille and headlights make the vehicle look new! Which grille did you buy? I was considering replacing mine too. One thing you could consider adding is a remote start, that's one thing that I wish I had even in my mild winter weather.

nice clean work, great looking Explorer! I really like how the dash lights came out. Are you able to dim them using dimmer switch on the dash?

I added an '01 bumper with foglights/chrome surrounds to mine, lights up the road much brighter than before!

Any chance could you throw up a photo of the bulbs and what type/model you used in the dash?

nice clean work, great looking Explorer! I really like how the dash lights came out. Are you able to dim them using dimmer switch on the dash?

I added an '01 bumper with foglights/chrome surrounds to mine, lights up the road much brighter than before!

Any chance could you throw up a photo of the bulbs and what type/model you used in the dash?

To add to this, a higher trim level XLT would have the lower front bumper with fog lights, I'm sure you could find one in your local junk yard. Either swap the hole bumper or just take the lower section and it appears your truck is already wired for it, so plug-n-play.

Either swap the hole bumper or just take the lower section and it appears your truck is already wired for it, so plug-n-play.

I picked up a whole assembly from the junk yard - pieced together the best of all the parts I could find. The fog lights had pig tail cables that were 'plug and play' from the 97' wiring harness to the 01' fog light assemblies.

Hello,
I am looking to add in fogs to my 97 xlt. I've seen the plugs under the bumper but I couldn't see the appropriate plug behind the radio bezel. Do you per chance have any advice or pics to clarify?

I appreciate it but not necessary at this point. Got some other pics and spent time at the junkyard. No go for plug/play on mine.

Back