My Navajo Lost All forward Gears without Notice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Navajo Lost All forward Gears without Notice

Well I adjusted the overdrive band and put the bell housing back on , Not sure what I should do now , Found another trans from a 2.9 4x4 but the owner is unsure of having one or two Solenoids on the pass side near trans lines , Waiting to hear back from him , Said the trans and TC were in working condition , What should I do with the 2.9 trans and Tc ??. Drain and flush the Tc and drain and refill the tc and Trans after install ? , Any A4ld help is Greatly Appreciated !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You going to try your old trans again or did you buy the Bronco trans? Not sure what you are asking. You have the alignment tool set for the bellhousing/pump?

I was asking what I should do with the Newer used trans after I get it , It is the right trans he sent me a pic of it , Talked him down some on price as well , No I do not have the Alignment tool , I did not use it before and know many of people who install a Torque converter without one , what do you Suggest Wood1 ?

Well, you absolutely need the alignment tool for the bellhousing/pump if you remove the bellhousing. No exceptions. If you don't use it the TC bushing will fail and that blows the front seal.

When you install the "new" trans you should half fill the TC before you install it. I would flush the TC and put a new filter in too. Adjust the bands while you are at it.

Well I will not be taking the Newer used trans apart minus new filter and gasket , I was going to leave the TC fluid as I was told it should be good as long as the trans and TC are good to start with !

Thanks , Guy said he's parting it out because he has all 5 speeds now and the 2.9 went bad on him and trans was good to go , So I will see when I go to look and possibly purchase as long as fluid looks good and does not smell

Well I Went One Hour and 45 minutes to go look and the fluid was good , looked good , smelled fine , the Torque converter looks newer and was attached to the trans , will look at it in the daylight tomorrow , Got it for $100 , Plus the $30 in fuel used to go 120 miles round trip , Pics coming soon .

We Shall see , I have a Good amount of pics to upload to photo bucket , I need to go get a Filter and pan gasket , Heard the best was the Fram/Motorcraft filter ?

Well Bad news , The bell housing on the Bronco II trans I bought Has 2 Missing Bolt Locations for the 4.0 , Is it possible to swap the Bell housing and use the TC from my Previous trans ? Help needed Asap Please , Thanks in Advance .

It won't bolt on the way it is? A couple bolt holes missing isn't a big deal if I remember correctly from what the guys using the 5 speed from the Bronco are saying.

The fram dacron filter is the best, filters smaller particles that are very bad for the A4.

The very 2 bottom 4.0 a4ld bolts to the motor ,a total of 8 hold it on , the BII a4ld has 6 bolt locations , the 4.0 spacer plate , starter spacer plate piece sticks out from under the BII trans

Hey Bruce,
Sorry to hear about the Navajo, i hope you get it all figured out and get her back on the road. Good luck.

Can I bolt the BII trans the way it is to my 4.0 with it not having those 2 Bottom bolt locations ? What would be your input dano ?

In my experience with mating two surfaces together with missing bolts you don't want two bolts missing right next to eachother. To me it sounds like its not going to hold in the long run. But if other people say they have done it and it works, then i would go for it.

Do the holes only kinda line up? Or you can't see the other side at all? Because their might be some creative solutions.

I had a situation at work trying to mate new bomb support equipment to old bomb trailers, the new trailers were not due to arrive for another year. The problem was we couldn't mate the support equipment because the holes did not line up on one side, you couple only see half the bolt hole.

What we ended up doing was matching the thread to a threaded rod that is available at home depot. We screwed in the rod and marked the depth and actually cut a slot in the rod allowing that side of the support equipment to be bolted on.

On the BII trans the Bottom of the Bell housing is not Square like a 91-94 a4ld
See in the pic of the flywheel , Look at the bottom , there are 2 bolt locations there , On the BII trans its Round on the bottom and Does not have anywhere to put the bolts through the bell housing ,
DSCF6698.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back