My Navajo Lost All forward Gears without Notice | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Navajo Lost All forward Gears without Notice

Well I changed the Wires around And Still NO Overdrive , If I put it into OD it does nothing , I put into D and It does fine , Also Seems like the BII torque Converter Is Geared A little Different , Seems to take more Rpms to move the truck than before

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't know much about the BII A4 trans, I am wondering if the issue with OD is your swapping of the linkage. If you disconnected the cable and selected OD would it engage? I'm just wondering if the Ex's cable and linkage is moving the internals in the BII VB to where it needs to be.

OD is hydraulic in the BII VB, electronic in the EX. Converter lock-up only occurs in the EX's VB in 3rd and OD so I'm guessing the BII is the same. I would try testing the TC solenoid to see if it works, they do need cleaning or replacing some times. They get plugged with garbage, you can hold it open with a 9 volt battery and spray some carb cleaner or something through it to wash it out.

You may also have an issue with your truck if the TC isn't locking.

Can't remember if you adjusted the bands in the new trans...

The linkage should be the same , They have the same amount of gears and the parts looked like it would swap fine , I have not Tried to clean the Solenoid yet , I did not adjust the bands As I don't have the Right Torque wrench .

Did you have to replace the rooster comb inside the trans when you swapped the linkage? If so that may have changed the throw of the linkage causing an issue.

I've heard of using a smaller torque converter in budget drag racing set-ups. Usually a smaller engine converter will net a higher stall speed when used on a larger engine.

You don't need the torque wrench to adjust the bands. Just a descent snug with a wrench. As long as you do not over tighten and damage the band, make sure you do not loosen the adjusting stud when you are loosening the nut, if you do the band anchor could fall out of place, not fun to fix.

The Rooster comb your Speaking of , Was that the Spring mounted Piece that the Linkage uses to stop on each gear ? , If so I only had to remove it and replace it .

Yeah I wasn't sure if the Stall speed would be that much of a Difference but I noticed It is , Maybe After I Sell something I will Get another 93-94 Trans and TC To replace this with ?? .

I noticed how the Bands work when I pulled my First trans Apart last year In IL , I think I may Try and Adjust the Bands After some more mileage and see how it reacts

Hmmm, I would rig up a test to see if the computer is commanding a locked converter.

Gear yourself up a light to the two wires going to the transmission that go to the TC solenoid and run it into the interior. Drive it around until it is up to temperature and see if the light comes on. If so, the issue is the solenoid or VB.

Great Idea , I have a bunch of Spare Leds laying around , I will Do this and Report Back , Thanks again Wood1 , I owe you one !

Back