1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My new 347

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Dono, May 22, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Limited V8
      Rubbing issues, and on back order for another one. On-line there are many other reports of poor quality control.
      I decided the best bet is OEM. That combined with a Mr. Gasket high flow 180 degree thermostat and I will have added protection to what was a non-problem anyway.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Don, the cam will not be ordered till after the heads are flowed. With a higher flowing motor, I'd expect peak torque to come down. Also, the turbo will come on much earlier and that will give me the torque much lower in the rpm band. Its all hypothetical, we will see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
    4. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Metairie, Louisiana
      98 XLT 5.0
      Thanks.

Scratch that off the final parts list.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I like that, I too would want a revamped cam selection, given the wear of the cam lobes etc. I hope that issue was an odd mismatch of lobe choices and springs. If we were neighbors, and money/labor was no issue, I'd offer to pull my 347 cam out and let you try it. I had it made for a medium boost turbo application, intended to run NA initially. I gave up on that thought for my Lincoln, that'd be nuts in the car. It's made for Canfield heads, which are just above what the 170's were made for.

You could sell those 170's, and ... for $2800 buy some not yet used High Port 240's. They are listed as flowing 355cfm(@.800). I'm glad those weren't the 225cc versions, and much cheaper. I think he bought those long ago, when they cost $3500ish. Now I think the range is about $2600 new. Bench racing, everyone is a winner.

Last edited: July 26, 2018
    6. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Yea, bench racing is kinda fun, and then we hopefully get to see what actually happens.

I'm not interested in highports. I end up with fitment issues with the exhaust that I don't want to deal with.

As Tim said to me the other day, the motor would be a killer fit for a fox body. Who knows, maybe one day.

7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Oh yes, every one we see here discussed in an Explorer, it's a 10 second Mustang set up right to race.

8. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I was over on the yellowbullet looking around a bit and found a current thread on thrust bearing failure.
      One of the guys specifically states that trans cooler line restrictions can cause thrust failure. I don't know if he was speaking from experience, but is sure helps validate in my mind about those 90 degree fittings I had in the cooler line were an issue.

"A damaged crank thrust can be the result of a restriction in the transmission cooler circuit caused by a kinked line or restricted fitting or ? High pressure in the converter pushes it forward on the stator support like a hydraulic jack."
      Copper flakes in oil - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums