My NEW gauges!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My NEW gauges!!!

Congrats on the new guages, they look good. I bought my Euro guages at PerformanceProducts for ~$100 and figured they'd be a PITA to install, and had the X going in for some maintenance at the dealership anyhow, so I asked if they could install them while it was in.
Well, even they had one HELL of a time and I actually had to take it back 3 times as they thought they had it fixed, the needle(s) would again stick after a lil driving. PITA for me too but they eneded up taking it to a detailer shop and eating ~$400 in installation. They even had everything calibrated, charging me with maybe ~40 for the install... works for me and I know everything is accurate to boot.
I have some before/after pics at my "homepage" link below and am happy with the results.
Happy modding :hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MO_GUY, did u use colored bulbs in your dash?

well i decide to get out in the cold and install these. they can change color from green to blue with a switch!!

day:
288211_20_full.jpg

Night:
288211_18_full.jpg

Color/dimmer switch pad:
288211_19_full.jpg

Originally posted by ChewieM16
MO_GUY, did u use colored bulbs in your dash?

No I don't have my needles colored yet but I do plan on buying either some colored bulbs that are blue or red....or I'll buy some bulb covers which slip right over the white bulbs. As you can see in my pics, the needles are still white colored and if you look close enough there is a white colored light around the trip and odometer and just a little by the shift indicator.

MO_GUY - I'm still curious as to how you got your speedo and tach fixed...
I have a Digital Voltmeter that can I can also use to find out the RPMs the engine's running.. the problem is, I haven't been able to figure out what wires to probe :confused:
No matter which ones I tried, that go into the coils, it showed an RPM of like 3000, which of course is WAY off..
especially curious how you fixed the speedo..

Originally posted by gavin
MO_GUY - I'm still curious as to how you got your speedo and tach fixed...
I have a Digital Voltmeter that can I can also use to find out the RPMs the engine's running.. the problem is, I haven't been able to figure out what wires to probe :confused:
No matter which ones I tried, that go into the coils, it showed an RPM of like 3000, which of course is WAY off..
especially curious how you fixed the speedo..

my speedo needle never popped off so i didnt have to fix its calibration, it was just sticking...

the tach i fixed just because i knew exactly where it used to idle before i did the gauges, so while it was running i popped the needle off and put it back where it should have been, been working ever since

ahhhh... for some reason I thought your speedo was off.. d'oh :confused:

I know this may be a little late for some of you, but I found some old instructions for NR gauges I had before my indiglos. This could be useful for anyone who is about to install new gauges and may need to remove the needles, then reinstall them correctly.

Just the important parts:

WE RECOMEND THAT YOU BEGIN INSTALLATION WITH A FULL TANK OF GAS.

Before removing cluster, start engine and note reading on tachometer. After installation, tachometer should be at same postion or you will have to adjust needle. ATTN: We recomend that before removal of cluster, you note positions of all needles when vehicle is at operating temp. Also note your speed when driving @ approx. 1000RPM. This will be useful if your speedo is not properly calibrated after install.

Look at gauge faces to see if needle stops are used. If they are, remove pin with pliers by lifting straight up and note exact position of needles when pin stop is removed. If no pin stops are used, before removing needles you need to either mark on old face where needle rests or you can write this info on a piece of paper(be exact)

When placing needles on new faces, pointer should be as close to original position as possible. For speedo and tach, raise needle clockwise forward to approx. 20 MPH and 1000RPM above the pin, replace pin and release needle to rest at pin stop. For cars with gas gauges where the needle does not return to empty postion, fill tank and set needle in same postion before it was removed. After all needles are installed back on face, plug in cluster, start engine, make sure all gauges are working properly.

Back