• Register Today It's free!

My Pet Peeves after first month

ExplorerTx

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
I bought a black on black 2011 Limited Explorer the first of February. After the first month, I still love the truck, but there are definitely some issues which are bothering me on the truck. The biggest nuisance are horizontal grease lines being left on both my driver and passenger side windows every time I roll the windows down. I have about 50 lines on them right now (cleaning tonight). The dealer said they would need the truck for a day to "diagnose" this, but they haven't seen it in any other truck. I was hoping they would go away on their own without taking in the truck and having the entire door panel removed (may not be the same again).

Also, every time I or my passenger gets up from the front seats, I can hear the separation of the leather from the foam inside of it...like slowing peeling away masking tape.

Finally, as others have noted, the Sync is definitely not prime time. While it is a great step up from my previous car, I routinely press buttons and wait to see if anything will happen. For at least the first five minutes of driving the car, I get sporadic behavior. I think it is indexing my ipod or my bluetooth phone which is attached. Regardless, it is very spotty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a black on black 2011 Limited Explorer the first of February. After the first month, I still love the truck, but there are definitely some issues which are bothering me on the truck. The biggest nuisance are horizontal grease lines being left on both my driver and passenger side windows every time I roll the windows down.
I picked up my Ex Ltd yesterday and also noticed those double 'grease' lines. I'll clean them off and see if they gradually disappear. My problem right now is that, being a Ex built for the Canadan market, there is an added see through sticker on the passenger window right in line with my view of the mirror. This sticker has the French version of the warning on the mirror about objects being closer than they appear. Unfotunately, it doesn't look like this sticker will come off easily.:(

The biggest nuisance are horizontal grease lines being left on both my driver and passenger side windows every time I roll the windows down.

I have this on mine as well.

Add me to that list too. Think after a while the grease will dry up. I hope

I was told this never happens, so it is good to know someone else is experiencing this. Let me know if anyone discovers a way to get rid of the lines without taking it in. Painful

also have the same issue

Same issue with the lines. Had a similar issue with a Outback and they did eventually go away.

Bilingual Window Sticker

I'd like to hear from any fellow Canadians who are contemplating on removing or have removed the bilingual sticker on the passenger side window. This doesn't appear as though it will be an easy job. For those with U.S. models, this sticker shows the French version of what it printed on the passenger side mirror. The problem is that, even though it is a 'see through' sticker, it is right in your line of sight when looking at the mirror. Kind of a dumb idea in my opinion.:thumbdwn:

Peter, you better check with Gilles Duceppe first. ;-)

Adhesive remover or a new razor blade would work on the window sticker. Works great on bumper sticker residue too :)

Attachments

• 3m.jpg
    3m.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 685

You said "colour" in another thread. Give in and speak French :D
Just trying to blend in.:D colour up North, color down South and Couleur in the next province across the bridge....all the same shade!;)

The biggest nuisance are horizontal grease lines being left on both my driver and passenger side windows every time I roll the windows down.
Are you sure it's "grease" and not ArmorAll (or equivalent)? I've seen a car where the detailer used too much ArmorAll and a bunch got on the rubbery window seal between the window and the door. Wherever the window stopped, that rubber seal would leave an oily stripe. It eventually got better but it took a while!

I have a comment about the Nav screen. On my Highlander, when the headlights were on the Nav screen automatically changed from a bright white background to a black background (reversed colours). The Ex doesn't seem to have this feature. It seems the only way to prevent the glare when using Nav in dark surroundings is to turn the instrument brightness waaayyyy down to the point where it is almost off. Am I missing something? Mind you, I only picked it up a few days ago and am still going through the manuals. In the settings screen, the DIMMING is set to Auto.
UPDATE: I now see that it is working the way I thought it should. I started it up in the garage to take it outside so that it could pick up the Sirius signal that was sent to me and noticed that the background was indeed a darker shade now. As I drove out, the headlights went off and the NAV reverted back to its normal daytime mode. Perhaps the vehicle had to be turned off and back on to have the changes take effect?? Anyway, all is right with the world again. At least my world.:)

I have the grease problem, but I think mine may be worse! I've got the dark grease on the outside, and I've got a lighter version on the inside! I may have bit the outside one in the bud though by spraying windex on the seal. I've gotta wait for it to dry to tell though.

Back