Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My possible bodylift/new tire combo

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by KevinJTorres, September 26, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KevinJTorres

KevinJTorres Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Seattle, WA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 Eddie Bauer
      Hey all-
      I am getting a good chunk of cash here in a few days, and it's time for a much needed bunch of upgrades to the ex. I wanted to write out what I was thinking of doing, the prices I've been quoted, and just see what everyone thinks.

OK-so-

I have a four inch suspension lift right now, with 16X8 rims. I'm running 265 70's right now, and I get a little rub. My suspension seems overly stiff too, (even small bumps are rough) but that's probably because all my ball joints are shot. Those are getting replaced in a few days. I am looking at a three inch body lift (performance acces.) and have been quoted $469 installed for that. I know it's only a $100 kit, so, is that too much for labor? I definitely don't have time to do it myself. Also, for a steering stabilizer, $76 for a skyjacker stabilizer. Rear add-a-leaf is needed because my ex has a rear sloping stance right now. Any issues I should know about with those? Also, should I do shackles now when I do the leaf add, or does it matter? Am I going to wish I had shakles done later?
      Tires-
      I have given up my dream of 35" tires for the time being. I'm willing to settle for 33's. So, the equivalent that will go with my rims is a 295 75 16. I am looking at a set of Parnelli Jones MT's. They want $250 a piece for them. I was told they're an outstanding tire. Any opinions?
      That's all for now, I hope I can get some good input from everyone so I don't make any major mistakes. I guess that's enough rambling!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rx4phun

Rx4phun Active Member

City, State:
      USA
      1998 XLT SOHC
      you can get different tires (still good) for significantly less at 4wheelparts.com I dont have any experience with those you were looking at. My buddy got a skyjakcer stabliziers and loves it. Add a leaf isnt bad to do on your own and works but dont expect much lift out of it. I have shackles on mine and no addaleaf. Ify oua re saggy then the addaleaf might be worth it but you wont get as much lift out them as the shackles. You could always do the addaleaf which isnt expensive and add the shackles later if you are still low in the back. Or get your springs rearched or new ones all together. $469 for the body lift and the installation is a good price. It can certainly take a lot of time, even more with out all the tools and the know how. Earlier models might be easier but I had one hell of a time with my bumper brackets which many people have problems with. Often times something needs to be fabbed up.

Hope that helps
      Gary

4. KevinJTorres

KevinJTorres Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Seattle, WA
      '93 Eddie Bauer
      Yes that helps alot. I guess I don't really know exactly how much lift to expect from doing shackles, or how much from add a leaf.