My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 108 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I talk straight, that's just me, and yes it rubs some people the wrong way. I've never been politically correct or properly tactful, just honest to a fault.

Here's an example; the 351's, all of them are actually 352's. The displacement is identical to a 352 FE big block, and Ford decided to misname all of the 351's because of the old 352's. Why in 1969 did anyone think an old defunct/rare big block name would ever confuse people. I call them 351's because I grew up with them, but I knew the actual displacement too.

The stroker 302's with a 3.25" crank, those are all 332's, not 331's. I plan to build one soon, and I'll call it a 332. I plan a 351 for my Ranchero, but it'll be a 302 block with a 3.4" crank, and a .060" over bore, thus the same displacement as all 351's, but with 3V heads, so a 351-3V on the air cleaner decal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the irregular shape of the tank I doubt you'd get a tight enough measurement to extrapolate to volume. There's also baffles, and the fact the truck would have to be sitting just right to be able to get it full without an air bubble.

The thread isn't at all worthless. The tanks volume is entirely irrelevant. You would NEVER get any sort of accurate number using a tanks volume. The gas pumps readout would be at least 20 times more accurate than your guesstimate on what fractional value volume of your tank you've replaced.

Did you run it flat empty? I'm Also sure the tanks vary more than the gas pumps do.

I'll dig up my old pictures, one showing the 17 gallon 99 Sport tank, next to my 93 22 gallon tank.

I don't recall the actual words I used to describe my many big Fords that I've driven. But I put a bunch of miles on almost all of them, and basically drive every vehicle to near empty. I try to avoid filling often, it saves a little time to not fill up twice at the half way mark, versus once when about empty. So maybe some people see a big gallon number rarely when they find they went too far by accident. I basically carefully gauge how far I can go on each tank of gas, for all cars I drive, and try to get near empty before hunting a gas station.

So I'm sorry if the various manuals for each car I've owned don't all say they're 22 gallons. But they are all very very close to it. Here's my past cars list for reference;
1972 Gran Torino, 2dr, 351C-2V, bucket seats, my first car, and my parent's only car bought new.
1972 Ranchero
1973 Ranchero
1986 Crown Vic
1985 Crown Vic
1991 Lincoln Mark VII
1985 Lincoln Mark VII
1991 Explorer 4dr
1990 Lincoln Mark VII
1993 Explorer 4dr
1991 Lincoln Mark VII
1995 Crown Vic
1995 Crown Vic
1998 Mountaineer
1999 Explorer 4dr
1998 Explorer 4dr

I used to keep a log of all gas fillups and all maintenance, a little book for each in the glove box. I didn't start one for my current 98 Limited, but I will soon. I still have some of those log books, and they show my countless gas amounts, most near 20 gallons, and near 22 in every vehicle. That's my unscientific conclusion that the gas tank is closer to 22 gallons than any manual, experience.

I found two pictures of the old 93 4dr tank, and my 98 Mercury tank. The steel tank is way longer, but the plastic one has more width internally, and they both hold the same amount. I'll look some more for the 99 Sport tank I bought, I also got the skid plate from a Sport, and the 93 4dr tank is a perfect fit on that short skid plate.

93-98 4dr tanks width.JPG

PICT2916.JPG

They do both hold the same amount. I know the picture doesn't make it appear that way, but they do.

I got the 2003 Explorer Sport (shorty) 2dr 5 speed manual 4.0 v-6, sad thing is this motor gets just a smidge better than the 5.0 and 4.6 v-8s. Fortunatly it is a rwd not 4x4 and it is lighter than a bigger 4 door model. So I average using fingers and toes and a #2 led pencil abt 18-19 MPG Strictly freeway on LONG trips. Gas gauge is not real accurate and I usually do not fill it up, so in town I go for 15 mpg on 5 gallons of gas. I have never run out of gas running 75 miles. Till my sticky notes blew out the window with all my figures. 15 year old suv running on borrowed time for the timing chain. I feel pretty good for that MPG. Gov MPG site says 15 city 20 hwy. NO ONE on the government site ever posted over 19mpg

I got the 2003 Explorer Sport (shorty) 2dr 5 speed manual 4.0 v-6, sad thing is this motor gets just a smidge better than the 5.0 and 4.6 v-8s. Fortunatly it is a rwd not 4x4 and it is lighter than a bigger 4 door model. So I average using fingers and toes and a #2 led pencil abt 18-19 MPG Strictly freeway on LONG trips. Gas gauge is not real accurate and I usually do not fill it up, so in town I go for 15 mpg on 5 gallons of gas. I have never run out of gas running 75 miles. Till my sticky notes blew out the window with all my figures. 15 year old suv running on borrowed time for the timing chain. I feel pretty good for that MPG. Gov MPG site says 15 city 20 hwy. NO ONE on the government site ever posted over 19mpg
I wonder if adding a modified skid plate under the vehicle to smooth out wind underneath would make a difference? I am going to remove the roof rack I never use it.

I wonder if adding a modified skid plate under the vehicle to smooth out wind underneath would make a difference? I am going to remove the roof rack I never use it.
ok I found my tips to improve MPG. Make sure brakes/ calipers are not dragging, make sure wheel bearings are lubed well, make sure U joints are lubed every oil change (unless you don't have fittings like mine) make sure rear end in filled properly (in case of 4x4 check transfer case and carrier bearings) change oil and filter often, air filter too. Use good gas, from a reputable dealer (don't we all?), make sure automatic tranny has good fluid properly filled, make sure coolant has proper mix and is filled to proper specs, check tires for proper tire pressure (check when cold and after driving), check alignments front and rear (older Explorers have a solid rear axle, I just found out newer models have the independent units which also need checked, remove excess/un-nessessary weight from vehicle (yes all your tools, jacks, golf clubs, beer coolers, lumber, wife & kids, the dog can stay) you could remove the spare tire too if like mine is dry rotted and flat, also if you don't use the extra seats take them out. Keep windows rolled up as the windows down creates drag. (Going extreme remove the ac and get a different serpentine belt to bypass that, you could try removing the power steering and going with a manual rack and pinion). Another thing when it gets really cold out put a cardboard air damn on the front and see if that improves MPG, but watch you don't overheat. If it is - freezing outside you should be ok, but if it gets above freezing be careful.

I've said this before but I don't believe for a second that you can get 30-35 MPG in an Explorer without some extreme modifications. Modern crossovers with unibodies, 1000 lbs less weight, FWD, tiny turbo-4 cylinder engines with direct injection and 10-speed transmissions are just starting to get 35 mpg.

The very best rated Explorer - which I happened to own - was a 95-01 Sport, 2WD, 3.23 gears, 5-speed manual with the 4.0 OHV. It was rated at 23 MPG on the old, conservative highway cycle. I could usually get 23 mpg average if I was really careful how I drove. This is also with highway tires, SCT tuner, front air dam, and synthetic fluids.

I've said this before but I don't believe for a second that you can get 30-35 MPG in an Explorer without some extreme modifications. Modern crossovers with unibodies, 1000 lbs less weight, FWD, tiny turbo-4 cylinder engines with direct injection and 10-speed transmissions are just starting to get 35 mpg.

The very best rated Explorer - which I happened to own - was a 95-01 Sport, 2WD, 3.23 gears, 5-speed manual with the 4.0 OHV. It was rated at 23 MPG on the old, conservative highway cycle. I could usually get 23 mpg average if I was really careful how I drove. This is also with highway tires, SCT tuner, front air dam, and synthetic fluids.

It's called hypermiling and it is possible. 99% of people though don't even have the patience to hypermile, I know I do not. Plus the ohv isn't a powerhouse anyway, the SOHC has much more power and runs more efficient (ohv vs ohc).

My 8000lb F-250 is rated at 16 mpg highway (I think). I've got as good as 25mpg one time on a 400 mile trip. My max speed was 65 mph and I drove like I didn't have brakes. Most of my trips as of lately are well under 20 mpg mainly because of my driving style (I'm usually in the left lane).

Also, many people think the highest rear end gears are most efficient because theoretically the RPM’s are lower. This isn’t always the case.

Also, many people think the highest rear end gears are most efficient because theoretically the RPM’s are lower. This isn’t always the case.

Ditto. My 91 4WD Explorer has 3.27 gears in it, and my old 93 4WD Limited got better fuel mileage on the highway, with 3.73 gears. Note that also is about driving style and conditions. I drive normal, no hyper mileage crap for me, fast when I feel like it, slow with traffic.

I got 21mpg with the 93 Limited going 1100 miles to MN, driving faster than the speed limit all the way, say 5-10mph over average. The trip back was less, bringing and extra person and twice the luggage/weight, maybe 19mpg. I don't think the 91 Explorer ever got 19mpg on any distance I ran on the highway.

But it could do better than 20mpg I'm sure. The driver would have to be easy on the gas all of the time, and the roads would have to be fairly level the whole distance. Gears help a lot on any hilly terrain, and when using a lot of throttle(to save gas).

I like the newer car engine technology, it's wonderful for performance and economy, no doubt. How the driver operates the car will always have a bunch to do with fuel economy.

It's called hypermiling and it is possible. 99% of people though don't even have the patience to hypermile, I know I do not. Plus the ohv isn't a powerhouse anyway, the SOHC has much more power and runs more efficient (ohv vs ohc).

My 8000lb F-250 is rated at 16 mpg highway (I think). I've got as good as 25mpg one time on a 400 mile trip. My max speed was 65 mph and I drove like I didn't have brakes. Most of my trips as of lately are well under 20 mpg mainly because of my driving style (I'm usually in the left lane).

The OHV was rated higher per the EPA compared to the OHC engine, probably because at cruising speeds the flow advantage of the OHC head doesn't make any difference and the OHV has far less rotating mass (fewer cams and chains to spin).

I've tried to hypermile in my 2000 Sport and the best I could ever reliably get was 25 MPG no matter how hard I tried. DId your F-250 get 25 MPG for more than a single tank? One fillup can be extremely inaccurate due to differences in gas pumps.

Gas pumps are regulated and extremely accurate. Flow meters used for trade have to be, and the technology is old and rock solid.

The OHV was rated higher per the EPA compared to the OHC engine, probably because at cruising speeds the flow advantage of the OHC head doesn't make any difference and the OHV has far less rotating mass (fewer cams and chains to spin).

I've tried to hypermile in my 2000 Sport and the best I could ever reliably get was 25 MPG no matter how hard I tried. DId your F-250 get 25 MPG for more than a single tank? One fillup can be extremely inaccurate due to differences in gas pumps.

I have no idea on EPA ratings but with pushrod vs ohc design the power/efficiency favors ohc designed engines.

My f250 only got the 25 mpg the one time because it was an isolated trip where speed limits rarely rose over 55 mph. Most of my trips since have been 80mph+ cruising or with my car trailer. Diesel engines do run much more efficient than gasoline and if you drive by watching the exhaust gas temps it's basically a mpg gauge in a way. I also filled up before the trip and filled when I made it back to calculate milage. I could have been off by .5 gal either way but I don't see any more than that.

Gas pumps are regulated and extremely accurate. Flow meters used for trade have to be, and the technology is old and rock solid.

The pumps themselves might be but different pumps will shut off at different points. Using a single fillup as a measurement will never be accurate, especially at different gas stations.

I have no idea on EPA ratings but with pushrod vs ohc design the power/efficiency favors ohc designed engines.

GM has shown that a well designed pushrod OHV engine can be at least as efficient as contemporary OHC designs, compare the Silverado V8 family to the F-150 V8 family, or compare the new Corvette LT1 to virtually any modern engine design with similar output (the LT1 gets 29 mpg on the highway cycle, unheard of for a 6.2 liter engine with 465 horsepower).

Generally speaking, OHC favors higher specific output (hp/cc) since these engines can rev higher and therefore can be smaller, but I don't agree that OHC engines are generally "more efficient", again as evidence I would point to many GM engine designs using OHV technology.

The benefits of OHC are at high RPM and high output where lots of airflow through the head is expected. OHC engines allow easier packaging of 4-valve designs and finer control with variable valve timing. Unfortunately the 4.0 SOHC engine in the Explorer did not have variable valve timing, nor did it use a 4-valve design, and had a relatively low redline - meaning the engine had the disadvantages of OHC (lots of rotating mass and complexity) with none of the inherent benefits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't count the number of times I have pumped over 22 gallons into my several Fords. The pumps are not that accurate from what I've experienced. I've hit 23.5 or more at least twice. Yes the gas tank was almost empty and I went too far. But that doesn't change the fact that the pump charged me for 22-24 gallons of gas, for vehicles that should only accept 22 at the most.

Back