• Register Today It's free!

My rear axle is loose!

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I heard some squeeking coming from my truck today, and upon further inspection I realized that the rear passenger side wheel moves in and out about 3/16" or so. I removed the wheel and pushed & pulled on the lug nut studs and the axle is moving in and out a bit. What is wrong here and should I not drive it? Any help is appriciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take it your L/S? If so the cluch packs in the diff are worn out causing all the extra play and your Z spring has lost its strenth. A rebuild kit is about 85$ from ford. There is a writeup on the site somewhere.

OR you lost a C clip or broke your axleshaft and the disc brake is the only thing keeping the wheel/rotor from coming out of the 8.8..regardless there is likely something wrong and it should be fixed before you continue to drive it IMO

How could the axle shaft break? It still drives fine and I don't notice any wobbling or anything. I did a search and read the some in and out play is normal. I assume I have to dig into it to see if the c-clip is damaged or missing, but how do I check on the clutch packs before ordering a rebuild kit?

Does the other side have the same amount of play?
Only one wheel is driving your truck after the LS torque is overcome...

I think its fine there is a small amount of end play in an axle shaft. If a c clip was broken the brake caliper would be the only thing holding the axle shaft in place. The limited slip has nothing to do with.

The passenger side wheel is the oly one with the play. The squeeking noise does sound like the brakes rubbing, so maybe it is a broken c-clip. I'll have to tear it appart tomorrow and check it? Where exactly is the c-clip located?

I have the same problem. But nothing more than you could expect. I know my it's not L/S...I don't have it. I also know it's not a broke C clip. I've been driving it like that since I bought it...3 years over 30k miles and more than once stuck way way to deep. That doesn't answer you question. I was just saying.

A C-clip-retained axle like the Ford 8.8 will always have *some* in and out play. Personally, I think anything over 1/8" is excessive, but it may vary based on the manufacturing variations. Maybe your axle is a little short on the one side (no pun intended) or maybe the cross-pin has been fractured. The easy way to check it is to pop the diff cover and have a look-see and see what you can see. Look for wear on the c-clip, look for wear on the spider gear, and look for damage on the retainer pin.

-Joe

Well, I did some deeper exploring and I think I found the problem. When I removed the brake caliper and rear rotor, a bunch of small gravel looking peices fell out. I assume that they are rocks because the brakes are only 3 months old and look fine. After re-assembling everything it drives fine and no more squeeks.

you sure those arent the internals of your emergency brake? :)

No I am not. How would I know what to look for on the e-brake, as far as what it should look like? If it is parts from my e-brake, that means that only it won't work right?

the e brake is a small drum brake assembly inside your rear rotors, if you took the rotor off then you would see these parts.

the e brake assembly is covered on this forum, whith pictures....how to repair and replace.....when it is neglected it is not uncommon for the drum shoes to disentigrate
your e brake will not work if this is the case no, at least not on that side!

Back