My rear brake lights are not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My rear brake lights are not working.

hey guys hows it going. i just recently got a 2001 ford explorer sport. and i have a problem with the brakes. i have a 3 rd brake light that works, my running lights work, reverse lights work and the turn signals work. but the brake lights dont wotk. the fuse is good and i put a new brake switch in and still didnt fix it. any info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The switch you replaced is on the pedal and not the one on the master cylinder, right?

Welcome to this forum! It can't be the switch if the 3rd brake light is working. Check the sockets, and the ground wiring on the rear harness. The switch on the master cylinder is for the cruise control.

I agree with what brooklynbay said, check all those places, If you have a trailer hitch wiring harness check where it taps in as well.

wires are pulled out of the multifunction switch. If it has tilt wheel, tilt it all the way up and see if they come back on.

yes the one i replaced is on the brake pedal

hey guys thanks for your in put. so i did put the tilt up and the lights came back on. now my other question is. do you know what wire it is there for the breaks so i can splice it to give it more play so i dont have the ride with the wheel tilted up?

There are tabs in the connector that break and let the wires come out. Take the steering column covers off and look at the wiring and you will see what im talking about. You can even try putting silicone or dumdum in the back of the connector to hold wires in properly if you don't want to replace the connector.

This may sound like a dumb question, but did you try replacing the bulbs?

Edit: Wait, sorry, didn't see you said your turn signals worked. Do you have trailer wiring on your truck?

brakes

i was pulling my hair out.i put my tilt wheel up...brakelights.will be doing fix today.THANKYOU for your help.saved me hours.:D

i was pulling my hair out.i put my tilt wheel up...brakelights.will be doing fix today.THANKYOU for your help.saved me hours.:D

I have worked as a Ford tech for the last 16 years and have pretty much seen and done everything lol.

Hi I have a similar question. I have a 1998 Explorer eddie baurer and none of the brake lights work. I've checked all fuses and replaced the bulbs. Nothing. Also my reverse lights do not work. I did the same things and still nothing. Could they be related? I'm more interested in getting the brake lights fixed first tho. Thank you for your input.

Sometimes the tilt wheel will not fix the problem, you will have to remove the steering column covers to look and see if the wires are pulled out.

My Wife had this same issue. Top brake light in back came on but two brake lights below did not work. Thanks to whom ever posted the tilt wheel up. That did it. I suspect its a design flaw like carpal tunnel after a while they bind up and pull on each other. Taking steering column off seems to be the next step but till then thanks.

Totally a loose wire in the steering column. I had a green wire (near the top of the big bundle) that was sticking out a bit. I pushed it back in and tada! bottom brake lights are back in action! :)

I feel so much safer now! :) Thank you!

i have a 2001 ford explorer sports trac and my brake lights and turn signal lights in the rear are not working anyone have any ideas how to fix

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Totally a loose wire in the steering column. I had a green wire (near the top of the big bundle) that was sticking out a bit. I pushed it back in and tada! bottom brake lights are back in action! :)

I feel so much safer now! :) Thank you!
Exact same thing with my 2001 Sport, Outer brake lights only worked with the tilt wheel all the way up. Pulled the covers and pushed the green wire in about a 1/4" and everything is working great: :) Explorer Forum Rocks! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Back