My Sport with HID 8000K's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Sport with HID 8000K's

Very nice, I will be doing this conversion as well. I must say I'm shocked at how non blue these are for an 8k gas temp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got my set ordered from Coolbulbs.com, Andrew is a nice guy. I got the 6000k setup I hope it looks the way I want it to.

Just got my set ordered from Coolbulbs.com, Andrew is a nice guy. I got the 6000k setup I hope it looks the way I want it to.
The 6000k is a good choice between looks and light output. Not as blue as the 8000k yet with greater output. A bit bluer than the 4300k but not quite as bright. There a are few members that have made this choice for the same reasons.
Good luck.

Peter

The 6000k is a good choice between looks and light output. Not as blue as the 8000k yet with greater output. A bit bluer than the 4300k but not quite as bright. There a are few members that have made this choice for the same reasons.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter... Next up tune, then intake and maybe upgraded wheels

I put the 6kin mine. Looks awesome and light output is similar to my Ltd HIDs

Saw the package on the front door step today after work and turned right back towards the truck and popped the hood for install. Overall the install is pretty straight forward but if you have big hands you will struggle with the drivers side light. My knuckles look like they came out of a 12 round fight. 6000k my friends is perfect, they look very OEM. The lights from cool bulbs are very high in quality. ZERO flicker issues and yes I am in the auto setting.

The passenger side installed really nice, I 3M tapped the ballast up against the fender, had to cut away some of the engine bay heat shield (cardboard paper with no filler inside of it), and just folded it down.

The driver side was tricky thanks to the stupid fuse box. I had to mount the ballast under the lip that extends off the front grill and cover. Tucks under there nicely, I would have preferred to mount it on the fender put the liner was insulated and there were some dime sized holes open on the other end of the cover.

Borrow some small hands if you can and try to do all the hook ups before you insert the bulb, will save alot of fiddling around in the tight space.

BTW dont forget to cut the dust cover and run the wires through before installation of the bulbs. My dumb azz forgot and had to redo the thing.

Good luck friends.... and buy from coolbulbs.com, top notch product and customer support.

Thanks. I just ordered as set from coolbulbs. Can anyone post up a pick of where they put the ballast and how they secured it. I had the hood popped and there seems to be a couple of places where there are already threaded holes for mounting. I'll take some pics to show where I am talking about.

Here is a picture of the passenger side ballast:
9588-461612A21F4D-274-00000012DD045D2D_zps0ca4d045.jpg

Here is the picture of the driver side ballast. I used a ziptie in one of the screw holes and ziptied it to the clip on that black wire by the ballast. Hope this makes sense. In the picture the back of the ballast is towards the front of the car.
A0FF-FDB8531E3492-274-00000012EE287CE1_zpsbb6b4304.jpg

Nice. I installed both under the front lip. They fit perfect in the slots and they are out of the way.

Who installed your HID kits, I am looking for a good shop to do the work on my Sport?
Thanks

If you don't install the rubber dust covers on the headlights will that effect the light shape or output ?

Looks great guys! Will be ordering mine for the wifes SPORT and my King Ranch ASAP!!

If you don't install the rubber dust covers on the headlights will that effect the light shape or output ?
I'm no mechanic but I would assume that the dust covers are just that. Covers intended to keep dust, dirt, moisture or any contaminants out of the interior of the headlight assembly. Light output is usually determined by the wattage of the bulb and the pattern is determined by the housing or reflector inside the assembly.

Peter

Housing?

Hi all,

Are you all installing your HID conversion kits into the stock projector beam housings?

This may sound like a strange question however there is a reason I ask. A few years I put HID's on my 08 mustang GT and had to swap out the housings. My 08 mustang Bullit came stock with HID's and it was a different housing so it made sence that I had to change the GT's out. However the housings were $600 not including the bulbs.

I live out in the sticks just out side of Los Angeles county and need brighter lights. Is there any problem putting 6000k in the heads and 4200k in the fogs makeing them more of a driving light.

If they work well on my 13 Limited I mite just have to put them on my interceptor utility.

Hi all,

Are you all installing your HID conversion kits into the stock projector beam housings?

This may sound like a strange question however there is a reason I ask. A few years I put HID's on my 08 mustang GT and had to swap out the housings. My 08 mustang Bullit came stock with HID's and it was a different housing so it made sence that I had to change the GT's out. However the housings were $600 not including the bulbs.

I live out in the sticks just out side of Los Angeles county and need brighter lights. Is there any problem putting 6000k in the heads and 4200k in the fogs makeing them more of a driving light.

If they work well on my 13 Limited I mite just have to put them on my interceptor utility.
I've put HIDs in non-HID housings before with no issues. Will do the same on my explorer this weekend. That appears to be what everyone is doing.

Guys any thoughts on your lights after some time with them installed?

Talked to Andrew today and he is a good dude. Great customer service and is willing to give you his opinion and will work with you.

Going with the 6k.

I've put HIDs in non-HID housings before with no issues. Will do the same on my explorer this weekend. That appears to be what everyone is doing.

Someone else correct me if i'm wrong but all the new explorers come with a projector housing regardless if you have the limited with HIDs or not. It's not the best housing but it is designed for HIDs.

Thanks raider I'll give it a try. Let me know how it works for you.

Sounds like Coolbulbs is the way to go. I've heard nothing but good things both here and other sources.

To be honst it's not just all the positive reviews regarding the product (thoe it has a lot to do with it) but it has more to do with the coustomer service. Most vendors get your cash send the item than don't want anymore to do with you.

I feel confident that if there is a problem they'll make it right.

Thanks to all that have posted here your experiences and insight have been invaluable.

Coolbulbs!!!

I am thankful I have found this forum as it has helped me tremendously with various questions and with the install of my HID 8000K headlights. I took the advice of many and ordered a set of HID for my 2014 Sport. In addition I also picked up HID for the fog lights. As I said ordered online Saturday midday and by Saturday afternoon I received a call from Andrew. He talked with me asked how I found out about Coolbulbs and then told me to save his cell number in case I needed anything else. The package arrived Monday!!! Excellent service and delivery which was not expected. Using the advice in this thread I installed the HID headlights in about 40 minutes. I am not very good with my hands however the advice from here assisted me in getting the job done. Andrew is awesome and so far the HID lights are awesome also. Plug and play as advertised with Andrew waiting in the wings in case I needed anything. I would recommend Coolbulbs to anyone.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in as well - purchased 6000k HID kit from coolbulbs last week and arrived today in the mail. I installed int he garage in about 30 minutes. It's past 2am now so I didnt get a ton of time to drive around but the difference is immediate for sure. It think I may need to aim the lights down a bit as I see the top "cut off" line being a bit higher than I recall with stock lamps. I'll check it out more in depth tomorrow.

Coolbulbs service is a+ for sure, Andrew is apparently the man, and the kit seems to be of good quality.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple of questions for any Canadians who have made the purchase, and one question in general after reading this thread:
-Do these work with the DRL that come on Canadian vehicles with the projector light on all the time? Will this affect the durability? It seems most of the aftermarket HID vehicles I meet in Canada always have one light burn out. Is there any relay that is needed for them to work or are the completely plug and play?
-Are you mounting your ballasts for the fogs just above the splash guard under the vehicle?
-lastly, did you slit your dust guard to fit the wires successfully? If there is no dust guard, there is a lot of room for moisture and dirt to enter the headlight casing and I would be fearful for a daily driver in Canada in the elements, that it would fog up.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Darren

Back