• Register Today It's free!

MyFord Touch iPhone 4 Pictures

ezridermn

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. I just installed the new MyTouch software upgrade that has come out in recent weeks.

Everything seems to working fine though the profile pictures don't appear on video screen when calling or receiving phone calls through my iPhone 4. The pictures do display on my iPhone but not on the vehicle screen.

Is there a setting that I need to change to make that happen or could it be an unsupported feature on the iPhone? Or...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

It has been my observation, here and with several internet searches about this topic, that very few phones support the phonebook picture feature. I'm pretty sure the iPhones fall under that category.

iphone does not support that feature or messaging via MFT

Does the android software? I getting rid of my iPhone - long story

Depends on the phone, lol. :)

Feedback

With the info you provided I did a fair amount of web investigation on the problem and found that it relates to the iPhone. It became clear to me that iPhone does not support the technology Ford is using to transfer this sort of data to the MyFord Touch System.

It sounds like the industry standard technology for this sort of thing is something called Message Access Profile (MAP). And that is the technology MyFord Touch runs on.

Apple at this point in time has chosen not to support MAP as part of its operating system. So contact pictures on iPhones will not be transferred to the MyFord Touch system until they do. Or maybe comment should be if they do. The iPhone also won't interface with any other devices built on MAP.

To be honest I am not surprised. I have found many industry standard applications Apple chooses to not include in their operating system. The well known one is they don't support Flash in the web browser on the iPhone.

It is not that the phone couldn't do it...it is that Apple doesn't want it to do it. Why? Because they feel it is not a good technology for them. Which I find really frustrating given that 29% of Internet websites have some form of flash applications implemented on their websites.

That is only the big example. I have run into the same sort of thing in other areas as well. Android here I come!

Thanks for the info you provided.

ezridermn said:
Why? Because they feel it is not a good technology for them..

Translated...Jobs got into a P'ing contest with Adobe and put the mark of death on them...not to mention the control aspect of not allowing Flash. W1kedz will be along shortly to tell you what crap Flash is.....

translated...jobs got into a p'ing contest with adobe and put the mark of death on them...not to mention the control aspect of not allowing flash. W1kedz will be along shortly to tell you what crap flash is.....

lol :D

With the info you provided I did a fair amount of web investigation on the problem and found that it relates to the iPhone. It became clear to me that iPhone does not support the technology Ford is using to transfer this sort of data to the MyFord Touch System.

I don't know whose fault it is (Ford, Apple, Microsoft), but I just wish Ford would be honest and say that its MFT features are NOT compatible with one of the most popular smart phones in the market. Ford knows that MFT will appeal to this kind of consumer (techies or people willing to overpay for the Apple brand) and providing charts in websites and brochures that check off all manner of iPhones (3GS, 4, 4S) as being compatible with MFT's feature sets is misleading (a term some advertising execs may confuse with the term marketing).

Ford can even blame Apple saying that because Apple does not support the industry standard MAP (or whatever), certain features such as bluetooth audio, USB audio, ____, may not work in accordance with the specifications and features.

It is not that the phone couldn't do it...it is that Apple doesn't want it to do it. Why? Because they feel it is not a good technology for them.

It could also be because Adobe products are constantly riddled with security holes. Eliminating Flash also eliminates a gigantic vulnerability for exploits. I prefer PC over Mac any day, but there's something to be said for security.

I'm not a fan of Apple nor do I dislike them - but I think Apple was right on Flash.

Adobe (who makes Flash) has even decided to discontinue the product for mobile devices.

Do a quick search on "Flash no longer supported" for an interesting read.

There are companies who do not allow Flash to be installed on their workstations, although they are getting more difficult to find.

IPhone 4 pictures

Has anybody tried jailbreaking the iphone to see if that would then connect?

Has anybody tried jailbreaking the iphone to see if that would then connect?

Rooting an iPhone will not add MAP capability. It is a feature that will not work with Apple devices.

It was a thought hopefully someday they will all play nice together

Rooting an iPhone will not add MAP capability. It is a feature that will not work with Apple devices.

;)It was a thought hopefully someday they will all play nice together;)

Back