Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Mystery pin found in 5R55E pan. (Calling trans gurus!)

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by MorbidlyAngelic, April 14, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. MorbidlyAngelic

MorbidlyAngelic New Member

City, State:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 Rngr XLT, 02 Expl XLT
    I took out the trans in my husbands' 1999 XLT to fix a leaking rear main, since I already had it drained, due to a blown valve body gasket (popped at reverse servo).

Upon reinstallation, we found the torque converter wasn't fully seated, and had to back the bellhousing off, to even turn the crank. Removed entire assembly, fully dropped torque converter, and reinstalled. Crank turns easily.

No line pressure at all. Installed new pump. Before reinstallation, dropped trans pan again to install add-on drain plug, just in case.

That's when I see this guy smiling at me from the bottom of the pan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have been scouring not only Ford's OEM service publications, but also all the exploded views on WIT's site. I cannot find anything that looks remotely like this piece.

Last edited: April 14, 2014
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Hitchhikingmike

Hitchhikingmike Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Dallas, Texas
    '02 XLS
    I believe it sits vertically, just on the inside of the transmission pan gasket.

I believe it goes right where the PRNDL input shaft goes into the transmission.

I think it seats into a groove in this shaft to keep the PRNDL shaft from popping out.

4. JK080

JK080 Transmission Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    North Ga
    05 F250 6.0
    That right, its from the manual linkage, it connects the linkage to the valve.

Manual Valve.JPG

5. MorbidlyAngelic

MorbidlyAngelic New Member

City, State:
    Jacksonville, FL
    99 Rngr XLT, 02 Expl XLT
    JK080, if I am ever in N. GA, I'm going to give you a huge hug! I was hoping it was something shallow inside. Now, to find a manual ctrl......

I was beginning to believe this truck was stealing my mojo.

6. intelisevil

intelisevil Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Sandy, OR
    '00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
    I think I love you!!! ;)

I can't get my wife of almost 37 years to keep up with the dishes even though I bought her a new $800 dishwasher last year (the old one wasn't broken, I thought she'd like a new toy). No kids, no job, no responsibilities outside of the home.

Good Luck,
    Dan