Name that noise... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dazzlefraz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hey guys, first time poster here...

Recently came into ownership of an '06 Explorer.

Been having rear noise issues for awhile now, but it's steadily getting worse.
I thought it may have been possible tire noise at first, as the treads that came with it were badly worn on the inside edges from being run flat. I just replaced all 4 tires with brand new Toyo winters so that kinda rules that out.

I also replaced the rear pads and did some poking around while I was in there. Ebrake pads looked good, the main pads were slightly unevenly worn so I made sure the caliper pins were good and lubed up, moving very freely now.

No movement in the hub/bearing area, tho I wouldn't rule that out as I've seen plenty of bearings go without wheel movement. Seems to spin rather freely without much scraping/scratching.

Just kinda got me stumped a little. It seems to have gotten worse with the new tires put on, and it doesn't seem to be the typical growl of wheel bearings... it's almost more like the wub wub of a warped rotor, but it doesn't happen under braking.

There's no change under cornering/lean, and it kicks in around 15-20 MPH.
In the vid, it was dead stop to about 50 MPH.

Sorry for the bad quality, but it's raining here today and the background noise seems to have mudded it up a little, but you can still plainly hear it.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

https://youtu.be/v59ijH4MwL8

Sounds like a bearing leaning more towards a wheel bearing cause of the order of noise it's producing that's loud though lol . Here is what I would do if you have 4 jack stands raise the truck high enough off the ground where you can put it in gear I recomend turning traction control off and put it in 4wd high if you have it and
Have some one bring truck up to the lowest speed it makes noise and get under and put a long screwdriver to various parts of truck where there are bearings and put ear on end of handle and listen if uncomfortable with that take to a firestone and request to check for bearing noise they would do that prob for 20-30 bucks and when they tell you what it is decline it and do it yourself.

Tom

Thanks man...

Seems the consensus is wheel bearing.

I've never heard one sound that "wub wub"-y before, hence my hesitation.
Shame it's in the rear and I live in such a small town it's hard to track down a press. I may have to get a bearing kit online and do it myself.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

Yeah you could get a junkyard hub assembly but you don't know what you get etc. you could see if they sell the knuckle in complete with hub otherwise your going to need a snap ring pliers and a press sucks but I wouldn't try it any other way. I know napas have machine shops and I know some auto shops if you bring them the knuckle and parts to press out and in and throw them 20 bucks they will do it I've done it for multiple people that come by the shop I work at.

Tom

Back