Nasty Surprise on the Daily Commute | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nasty Surprise on the Daily Commute

I was on my way to work about a month ago, when I heard a gut wrenching POP, and the truck started to list. Luckily, I was only going 35. I thought the tire had popped. No big deal, right? I can get the tire for about $140, or just have my dad bring the spare. [Why he took it out, I will never know.]

I didn't want to leave the truck in the middle of the road, so I gave it some gas and limped it to the nearest parking lot.. literally 15 feet away. I hopped out and realized that the whole tire, wheel and all, was still in the road. I had driven it on the rotor the whole 15 feet, and there was a line in the road from it.

I saw the rusted, sheared studs and already knew what happened.

I posted the pictures on Reddit and got a lot of crap for it, but here's the story of WHY this happened:

About two years ago now, my dad was driving the truck and someone flew out of a parking lot without stopping. They hit the passenger's side fender and blew the alignment and everything to heck. Even bent the frame.

Insurance put up a fight and tried to say my dad was at fault, and they went back and forth for several months, not wanting to touch the truck. Finally they gave in and would ONLY change out the ball joints, even though the shop told them the frame was bent up. Work was done and within a month the alignment was out and the wheels started showing negative camber.

Fast forward a bit and the driver's side wheel popped off while my dad was coming back from another town. Two studs were sheared off. Luckily he was slowing down to stop at a light..

A year later the same happens to me on the passenger's side. We fought with insurance again and had them speak with the shop about WHY it happened and now the truck is getting all the work that should have been done in the first place.

Some photos:

th_20120906_091818.jpg

th_C360_2012-09-06-09-12-16.jpg

th_C360_2012-09-06-09-12-43.jpg

th_C360_2012-09-06-10-46-35.jpg

th_C360_2012-09-06-10-46-39.jpg

th_C360_2012-09-06-09-13-03.jpg

th_C360_2012-09-06-09-47-40.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you looking for people's thoughts on this or just want your story heard?

A bit odd that a negative camber issue would break off lugs. Quite often this type of failure is due to improperly tighten lug nuts (tightened on ground rather than in the air, or not torqued enough allowing them to back off).

Last picture is small but looks like non-stock wheels. What type/size/offset are you running? I ask because you said this happened previously on the opposite side. Incorrect offset, using a spacer, or having an oversized center hole can put a lot of stress on the lugs that would be compounded by a camber issue.

I just want it heard, really. What's done is done and it's already being fixed. :]

I don't remember the specs of the wheels off the top of my head. It had been running on those wheels since about 2004 without a problem, though. Only after it got hit did the front end start shearing studs like that.

Once I find the specs I'll post them.

With no signs the lugs were stripped or otherwise compromised, having any that did not shear would indicate the lugnut backed off and was lost. Since these issues have only showed up after a shop did front end work would point to improper torquing as well.

Looks like two were snapped off, or were on the verge of breaking for a long time... You can clearly see that two studs have rust on the broken off portion while the other three are rust free.

Attachments

• busted_studs.jpg
    busted_studs.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 687

Looks like two were snapped off, or were on the verge of breaking for a long time... You can clearly see that two studs have rust on the broken off portion while the other three are rust free.

Many aftermarket wheels do not have center caps so in theory you should be able to look and see if a lug nut is missing. The stock wheels came with center caps making it more difficult to see if you had missing lug nuts or broken studs because 1. You cannot see them and 2. the cap may be holding the loose nuts so it isnt rattling around. Suppose the moral of the story is occassionally visually check your tires to verify you have 5 lugs with nuts or you may not know this has happened until something bad takes place.

Yeah.. I'm glad it didn't happen at faster speeds, and that no one was hurt. The truck is back from the shop now. New tires, shocks, and an exhaust coming, to boot. ProComp steel wheels and all the suspension and steering work has been done. Glad to have it back in decent shape. Might need bearing work done on the driver's side front, though. I have yet to drive it and see if it's pulling still.

Here is an enlarged version of the image you guys seem to be focusing on.
Looksliketwoweresnappedoff.jpg

Back