Nate's 2005 Explorer XLT 4X4 | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nate's 2005 Explorer XLT 4X4

Here's my X, so far, but first a little background story...
jeepchrome.jpg

So this Jeep is what I was going to buy. I was a few thousand short of it. :( It was fully loaded. Exhaust, Intake, Lift, Wheels, Fuzzy Back Seat :D (J/K). I failed on that then looked at a sport trac and ended up with this Tan Explorer. She's come a long way in just 5 or 6 months of owning her. So...
Its a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT with 4wd. I bought it on Friday July 9th, 2010. It had 60K miles when I purchased it. It now has 67K. So far I love having it. Gas mileage isn't so great, but I knew that when I purchased it. I have modded it up so check it out. Enjoy! :)

Day I bought it,
copy001.jpg

First Mod...An upper billet grille and a lower billet grille
32.jpg

Clear Corners;
clearcorners3.jpg

Her first mud bath, no running boards
mudside.jpg

mudend.jpg

Future Plans, TRUXXX lift kit, Cragar Soft 8's or some new wheels, tail light guards, LED tail lights, black headlights, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of. Any comments or suggstions are welcome.

EDIT: Update! :)
A couple months later, and here she is...
4th gen mirrors, Bull Bar, Aux Lights, New Speakers, New Pioneer HU, Painted Billet Grilles Black, Tail Light Guards, 4.0L Emblem, Intake, Exhaust, HIDS coming soon :)
fordtlguards.jpg

newradio.jpg

newestintake.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust3.jpg

Here's how she sits today (january 2011):
snowtrip.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X2 Hhahahahaha:D:thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Actually seeing where the exactly where the front is, from the cab, makes my truck feel bigger than it really is. I feel like I have an expedition now, not an explorer.

I found some rims...18"
9023733.jpg

If I can get the seller to hold these for a week, and the off set isn't too off, these will be my new wheels. What do you all think of em?

I like the style but wouldn't you want to go with smaller rims rather than bigger for offroading?

Well I look for tires and there are no good 18's that are A/T tires. So Im kind of changing my mind as im not running H/T tires.

gotcha.

Guess you have to balance between what you want for looks and what will give the best functionality, though I bet you could find some 16" wheels for cheap that would let you run the tires you want. Cragar Soft 8's come to mind but there are many others that aren't steel that would be fairly inexpensive also.

I was actually thinking of American Outlaw Buckshot wheels. They're only $109.00 per wheel

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 393

So I have always been a "fan" of the ironman triathalon. Because of that I've been thinking of rebadging my X's door with the 07 ironman badges and throwing a regular 07 XLT badge on the lift gate. Basically like the ironmans have stock. Any thoughts on this; should I or should I not?
Either going to do this or get the FX4 Emblem for the liftgate.

Im not a triathelete as that is one of my goals (to be in the ironman triath). The only thing that stops me is my bad knees.
Anyway, I want to get a set of bolt on style (riveted) fender flares and Im going to talk to my local body shop to see if they know who would custom make them.

Usually hurts after running. Im sure having broken my knee and ankle a few years ago didnt help.

Got your PM Ronin. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Alright, so my 05 is going to be made into an Ironman. That means fender flares and everything cool. I may even get a cool Ironman back bumper and have that painted tan. Ordering Emblems Tuesday or Wednesday and then Im going to find someone to make me riveted fender flares.

Got your PM Ronin. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Alright, so my 05 is going to be made into an Ironman. That means fender flares and everything cool. I may even get a cool Ironman back bumper and have that painted tan. Ordering Emblems Tuesday or Wednesday and then Im going to find someone to make me riveted fender flares.

thats going to look pretty nice nate. will the regular ironman fenders not fit on a third gen?

James;
That was a long PM. Still slowly reading my way through that. lol. Good info and very helpful.

thats going to look pretty nice nate. will the regular ironman fenders not fit on a third gen?

Well I'm not looking to get the plastic trim on there. I beleive the fender flares have a small peice of panel trim attached to them. Because that plastic trim is $600 per panel :eek: I dont want to spend $2000-3000 in plasticpanels.
The front wont work (I think) as the bumpers are different. Im not sure how to work that plastic trim under the grille. I need a new bumper on the rear anyway so the Ironman would work perfect.

So far my ironman build will include:
Gas Tank and front end skid plate
Custom wheels or Ironman wheels
Fender Flares
Tan 4th gen leather seats (if the harnesses fit)
Safari Rack
Brush Guard (tow hooks when I can figure out how to fit them)
Black headlights (orange corners eventually)
Ironman Badging
30" tires on 16 17 or 18" wheels
Possibly a locker and 4.10 gears.

My ultimate goal is to make a truck that is capable, yet it turns heads when mall crawling.

Sounds like a great plan!!

Also, I told you a while back I'd snap a few photos of my upper control arm angles with the 1.75" spacers installed. Finally got around to it...here they are:

CIMG0039-1.jpg

CIMG0040-1.jpg

Not bad, and I never had issues. The knuckle will touch the spring at full droop and scrape against the spring, but so far I haven't hit terrain that flexes it out that much.

On a more exciting note, I've received my new BTF arms and have gotten 1 side installed so far :thumbsup:

Back