• Register Today It's free!

nav/Compass Issue

Brendan Lusby

Reaction score
City, State
Amesbury, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Ok so I just bought a certified preowned 2012 Explorer XLT. The compass is stuck on "W". I got the update to Sync, but that didn't fix it. I got the new version of the NAV sftware, still doesnt work ( BTW the NAV isn't working either)

I tried the couple of "fixes" I found here and nothing.
Can someone please help me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try a master reset....Taking it back to Factory settings and start over again? Also Do you have a "NAV SD CARD FAULT" Message? If so Try removing the SD card leave out approximately 30 seconds and re insert. Is the Compass that's stuck on which one The W from the MFT screen or the W from the RH portion of the Instrument panel?

Off Chance and I wouldn't put it past dealers to advertise something that is not included. Possible NAV not included? The SD card is used for NAV map database for models with NAV. Where I am going with this is if the SD card slot is EMPTY and you ARE NOT getting the NAV SD CARD FAULT" Message then more than likely NAV not included.

Just some quick process of elimination items. I am not accusing dealer of misrepresenting vehicle options.

Welcome to the Forum Brendan.:wave:
If you have the 8" MFT screen, what does it say in the upper right quadrant of the Home screen?

Peter

The GPS receiver (aka GPSM) either is dead or needs an update.

Welcome to the Forum Brendan.:wave:
If you have the 8" MFT screen, what does it say in the upper right quadrant of the Home screen?

Peter
It just has the compass stuck on "W". it is the 8" screen. I was told it had NAV and all I needed was the SD card. I did the factory reset and also updated to the latest Sync software.

Is it the compass in the dash that is stuck? Does the upper right corner of the MFT (8") screen say NAVIGATION or INFORMATION?

Is it the compass in the dash that is stuck? Does the upper right corner of the MFT (8") screen say NAVIGATION or INFORMATION?
Both the dash and the 8" screen show "W". It says Information

Since the dash (instrument cluster) is stuck my bet is on the GPSM bein the culprit as I noted above. Information means is it not navigation equipped.

Please advise what it says in the upper right quadrant of the MFT screen. You haven't replied to that yet. (posts #3 & #6) Thanks.

Peter

Please advise what it says in the upper right quadrant of the MFT screen. You haven't replied to that yet. (posts #3 & #6) Thanks.

Peter
I did reply, It says Information in the top right corner

I did reply, It says Information in the top right corner
Sorry Brendan. I must have missed that. As jmr061 posted, that means that your Explorer is not equipped with the factory navigation. I would think that the compass should work though but I can't be sure as all my vehicles have had navigation + compass.

Peter

Back