"NAV SD Card Fault" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"NAV SD Card Fault"

Update: I took my car and phone to the dealer, and we tried my phone in another vehicle with the same nav system/updates. It worked like a charm. (Good news)

Work Around: While I was demonstrating the problem in my vehicle, I accidentally discovered a work-around. As stated, when my phone is connected to the car, the nav system locks up. If I turn off the Bluetooth in my phone's settings (at which point the nav system starts working again), and then turn the Bluetooth back on (and tell my phone to reconnect to Sync), wait 2-3 minutes, the navigation system works as intended. The only problem is that I have to do this process everytime I restart my vehicle. :/ Temporary solution at best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rebecca--

Unfortunately, the problem recurred again yesterday. Same symptoms: "Navigation Fault". I shut off the car, and waited awhile, then restarted the car, but the Nav fault was still present. I removed/re-inserted the SD Nav card. This cleared the fault. After shutting off the car, waiting awhile, and then restarting it, the SYNC system immediately re-booted. After reboot, music on the USB stick is re-indexed. Given that these are the exact same symptoms as before, I surmise that the issue is not resolved, and will likely occur again in short order.

I won't be able to get the car back into Ford service until next week, at the earliest. If anyone has suggestions of things to try, I'm listening.

I suspect that the SYNC system is somehow losing communication link with a Navigation/GPS sensor - and that this is the root cause of the issue, but I'm only guessing here. So far, the Media Hub, A4 Nav SD Card, and the APIM have been replaced.

Update: I've been able to actually reproduce the Navigation Fault issue. It's a little strange, but I thought I'd report it here - and see if anyone has a suggestion. If the car is turned off, and I use the key fob to open the power liftgate, and then use the button on the liftgate to close it, and then I get into the car and start it - I get the "Navigation Fault" error. At this point, I have to either perform a master reset, or remove/re-insert the SD Nav card to correct the issue. Once the issue is corrected, the MFT reboots on the next start up of the car, and the music on the USB stick re-indexes. I've been able to cause the Navigation Fault twice using this method of opening/closing the liftgate before starting the car. It seems to me that the liftgate has some connection with this problem. Perhaps opening/closing the liftgate is causing loss of link to a sensor used by the navigation system? Any ideas?

It seems that I have the exact same issue as Orrobbins. I have it detailed out in post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384506

So far the only solution I have is to disconnect my phone but that doesn't solve everything. I randomly have "No Disk" messages pop up and occasionally I will be back in Detroit on "The American Rd".

I need to use my phone quite a bit while driving. I'm in support (funny huh..) and my customers call me 24/7; so there are times where I need to be able to talk and drive. This is the ONE feature - bluetooth phone - that I really wanted.

We shall see what the fix is hopefully sooner rather than later!!

The dealer replaced the APIM in my car over the summer, and all problems have been resolved. (Hallelujah!)

Help, not recognizing SD Card!

I saw several posts about SD card faults, but nothing that matched my situation.

I JUST picked up my 2014 Limited and was taking my buddy for a spin and of course he pops the sd card out and of course I lose Nav. We tried reinserting the card and nothing happens. On the screen to the right of the speedometer, it says there is a problem and to refer to the touchscreen, but there is nothing displayed regarding Navigation. I have tried turning the car off and on and reinserting, turning it off and then reinserting before turning it back on, let it sit off for a while and turning it back on. Nothing. Ugh

The card "lock" is in the "up" position (ie it is flipped up toward the engine) which is how my buddy said it was when he took it out.

Any ideas, guys? I've been frequenting the forums for the past couple of months and there is a LOT of good info. Any tips?

Thanks for reading my novel!

Steve

I'd say do the following in this order

- Go to your buddy's house impose a ban on him from the front seat.

Keep the engine running:

- take the card out, inspect the metal strips for prints of dirt from your buddy's paws. Reinsert it until you hear the click. You must hear the click that indicates that its correctly seated. The nav should pick it up in about 2-5 mins.

- Do a master reset.

It should come back...

Thanks, RoamingPhantom, I was going to do a master reset after making an errand and looked down and saw it was magically working! I'll be keeping tabs to make sure it CONTINUES to work.

Thanks again for your help!

Steve

Navigation SD Card Fault

All,

I recently purchased a 2011 Limited from a Nissan Dealership in my area. When I purchased the car, I noticed that it said "Insert Nav SD Card" in the upper right hand corner of my home screen. When I went to the alerts menu, I had a message that read, "Navigation SD Card Fault". My car came with an A4 and A5 card; however, I have tried multiple times for the SD Card slot to read the cards. I have even contacted the Sync hotline and performed a master reset on the whole Sync unit. In fact, I have performed a master reset three times; however, nothing is recognizing my SD card. According to the Sync analyst, I have a newer version of the navigation software, but it still does not recognize my two SD cards.

I even tried to download the latest software update to a flash drive; however, my USB ports will not recognize the flash drive in either.

I pulled Fuse 29 on two separate occasions, but to no avail. According to the IVT team on this forum, my extended warranty expired in February and I purchased the car in March.

I noticed that there is a connection of some sort that is not connected when I went to pull Fuse 29. When I tried to find where it's supposed to be connected, I was at a loss.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation where their SD cards and USB slots were not being recognized? The rest of my system works flawlessly so I really don't know where to begin. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I take it to the dealership. Thanks!

All,

I recently purchased a 2011 Limited from a Nissan Dealership in my area. When I purchased the car, I noticed that it said "Insert Nav SD Card" in the upper right hand corner of my home screen. When I went to the alerts menu, I had a message that read, "Navigation SD Card Fault". My car came with an A4 and A5 card; however, I have tried multiple times for the SD Card slot to read the cards. I have even contacted the Sync hotline and performed a master reset on the whole Sync unit. In fact, I have performed a master reset three times; however, nothing is recognizing my SD card. According to the Sync analyst, I have a newer version of the navigation software, but it still does not recognize my two SD cards.

I even tried to download the latest software update to a flash drive; however, my USB ports will not recognize the flash drive in either.

I pulled Fuse 29 on two separate occasions, but to no avail. According to the IVT team on this forum, my extended warranty expired in February and I purchased the car in March.

I noticed that there is a connection of some sort that is not connected when I went to pull Fuse 29. When I tried to find where it's supposed to be connected, I was at a loss.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation where their SD cards and USB slots were not being recognized? The rest of my system works flawlessly so I really don't know where to begin. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I take it to the dealership. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Do you happen to have a USB flash drive with music on it? Just wondering if it will recognize it? Did you go through the MFT procedure where it asks to download from the USB or did you simply plug it in?
Your thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

Almost sounds like the USB/SD card unit is shot or not plugged in. You may need to take some things apart and make sure the connections are all plugged in.

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Do you happen to have a USB flash drive with music on it? Just wondering if it will recognize it? Did you go through the MFT procedure where it asks to download from the USB or did you simply plug it in?
Your thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

I actually tried to charge my iPhone yesterday via the USB ports; however, it did not recognize my phone at all and did not immediately start charging. When I performed the software update two weekends ago, I saved it to a brand new flash drive and tried to perform the update in the car by plugging in the flash drive to both USB ports, but the USB ports obviously are not functioning properly.

I took a picture this morning of the connection that I noticed that was unplugged when I pulled Fuse 29 on two separate occasions. Has anyone ever seen this connection before and could it possibly be for the USB ports and Nav SD port?

Unplugged%20Connection%20in%20Explorer.jpg

Lastly, my compass always says that I'm heading SE even when the car is clearly heading in another direction. I don't know if that helps or not, but thanks for the replies thus far.

I actually tried to charge my iPhone yesterday via the USB ports; however, it did not recognize my phone at all and did not immediately start charging. When I performed the software update two weekends ago, I saved it to a brand new flash drive and tried to perform the update in the car by plugging in the flash drive to both USB ports, but the USB ports obviously are not functioning properly.

I took a picture this morning of the connection that I noticed that was unplugged when I pulled Fuse 29 on two separate occasions. Has anyone ever seen this connection before and could it possibly be for the USB ports and Nav SD port?

Lastly, my compass always says that I'm heading SE even when the car is clearly heading in another direction. I don't know if that helps or not, but thanks for the replies thus far.

I recommend you go to a dealer to have this looked into. The APIM has a 5 year warranty and depending on the vehicle sell date you may still be under that if you are really lucky. That is probably past though.

Do you have the tow package? If so, that maybe the brake controller connector.

Do you have the tow package? If so, that maybe the brake controller connector.

Yes, I have a tow package. The extended warranty expired in February of this year and I purchased the car in March. At this point, I'm going to swallow my pride and take it to the dealership. Hopefully something is disconnected and I don't have to get the whole thing replaced.

I have a 2012 exp just upgraded to the A7 maps nav system worked great on the first part of the trip then on second day got the Nav SD Card Fault. Have already tried master reset but still no luck....Need help fixing to be headed back home from vaca and would like to have navagation on the way home.

I have a 2012 exp just upgraded to the A7 maps nav system worked great on the first part of the trip then on second day got the Nav SD Card Fault. Have already tried master reset but still no luck....Need help fixing to be headed back home from vaca and would like to have navagation on the way home.
Did you try removing the card and reinserting it?

Peter

Does anything work in the USB port that is in the same hub as the sd slot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anything work in the USB port that is in the same hub as the sd slot?
just went and plugged phone in and no it doesnt even show that it is charging or anything

Back