1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Neat things you have found out

Discussion in 'Stock 2020 Ford Explorer & Aviator' started by blwnsmoke, September 4, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. thedanman

thedanman New Member

City, State:
    Colorado
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Platinum
    2020 ST
    On my st, tow/haul mode gives transmision temp gauge in the cluster.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Rapid Red

Rapid Red New Member

2020 ST Street Pack
    I like that can have all three vent types (windshield, directly at you, directly on feet) going at once. In my 2014, 2016, and 2018 explorer sports, it would only let you choose two out of three to be running, which I could never understand.

Had a weird situation when stopping for a signal tonight. I pulled up close to the car in front of me, so the car behind me could squeeze by into a turn lane. My hands were directly on the steering wheel. And my highbeams turned on! Not sure what caused that but the person in front of me probably wondered why I was giving them the highbeams! Thank goodness I was able to turn them off right away.

“Christine” has been behaving for a solid 3 weeks now but may be spoiling for some more mischief.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forddealz

Forddealz Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2020 Ford Explorer ST
    I have to double check on that one. I pressed that 3 way climate control button but then on the screen I could only select one of them before they started. I have to double check. i was able to get one at a time but not all vents blowing all at once.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I'm guessing your headlights were already on when that happened? If so, you may have been too close to the vehicle in front in order the sensor to pick up the taillights.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  6. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @peterk9 "Neat things"........

Took me a LOOONG time to find this out, and it was by accident when scrounging around once under a Ford F-series 4X4 I noticed the front differential pinion gear was ON TOP of the pumpkin center section. IOW, the pumpkin was upside down!

I already knew about gear teeth and such, and that ring gear teeth are much stronger in one direction than the other.

[​IMG]

Looking at the lowest few teeth above, the tooth profile difference is easily seen: the right hand face rises nearly vertically from the bottom of the tooth, while the left hand face rises upwards at an obvious angle which is sloped. The vertical faces are termed "DRIVE" faces, the others "COAST" faces. This means the drive faces transmit the forces to move the vehicle in the forward direction, "seeing" the highest forces, while the coast forces transmit only the force needed to keep the driveline turning when the throttle is closed.

Thus, drive faces in the REAR AXLE are really driving faces. But, the 4X4 design has the entire axle, in the front, turned around, causing the front gearset to be reversed also, and the forces to move the vehicle FORWARD are applied to the usually COAST faces.

So what? .....Gear teeth always try to "spread" themselves apart. The vertical DRIVE faces produce almost no spreading. Forces applied to the COAST faces force the gears apart. Such was a fact of life in early 4X4s, on up through the 1960s, and perhaps '70s. At that point, after many front axle failures, manufacturers began the unusual process of installing the front axles, UPSIDE DOWN, to make the old COAST faces again do "coasting duty". This placed the pinion and it's bearings higher up, clean out of the "pool" of lubricant they sat in in the REAR axles. Why they took the final step.......I am not sure. Because it confused many who did not understand all this tooth bullshit, or the final "fix" used:

They began cutting ring and pinion gearsets as "reverse rotation", to be used in plain old rear pumpkins for use "up front"!

Last edited: January 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rapid Red

Rapid Red New Member

2020 ST Street Pack
    That makes a lot of sense - I forgot about the automatic high beam at night feature. I may get have to look at disabling that - or just don’t get too close to the car in front of me!

8. KTrabue

KTrabue New Member

City, State:
    CO
    2020 Explorer ST
    The small panels can fit into the slots vertically and be pulled out and laid flat instead.

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
  10. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    I'll take my heated blades for $140 that heat up instantly. Domt know why it has taken so long for this. Aftermarket has had this for many years and they work fantasticly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I think the difference is that the washer fluid is also heated. The first time I tried the front washers, I wasn't sure where the spray was coming from. The video explains that it comes from the wipers themselves instead of the usual nozzles. I'll have to see how this setup works this Winter.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  12. TBill

TBill Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Prescott, AZ
    2020 Explorer Platinum
    Navigation turns show in the digital dash screen:)

TBill