need 4R55E rebuild: instructions, torque specs, component locations, and diagrams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need 4R55E rebuild: instructions, torque specs, component locations, and diagrams

mrstubb

Reaction score
City, State
fORT sMITH, aRKANSAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 eXPLORER 4X4
Where can I find rebuild instructions, torque specifications, details of component locations, and diagrams for 1998 Explorer 4X4 automatic transmission 4R55E?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you very much.!

79% of them had the 5R55E but mine has the 4R55E

That's what it says on the tag that is on the original tranny from my Explorer

4R55E vs. 5R55E

The 4R55E is a four speed, while the 5R55E is a 5 speed. Both transmissions are electronicly controled (the same transmission with mechanical controls is a A4LD). The easiest way that I know of to tell from the outside appearance of them is that the 5R55E has a output speed sensor located at the aft end of the case, while the 4R55E has a input speed sensor only. Internally, the reverse drum of the 5R55E has squares machined out of it for the output speed sensor, while the 4R55E reverse drum is smooth. Both the 4R55E and 5R55E have 6 stators on the planets, if you have only 4 stators (although there are 6 stator positions), then it is a 4R44E. Hope this helps to clarify.

4R55E vs. 5R55E

BTW, the transmission code is listed on the VIN sticker on the door pillar (somewhere at the bottom), a 4R55E is transmission code "T" if I recall correctly. If the label is missing, see above.

Back