Need A/C advice. 97 XLT SOHC 4.0 VIN: E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need A/C advice. 97 XLT SOHC 4.0 VIN: E

jtmozley

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD 4.0
So about 1.5 years ago after "winter" my a/c would not turn back on. I live in Texas and have my whole life so driving around in 100+ doesnt bother me at all. But just for the reason of me wanting everything on my ride to work, I figured I better get it going again.

I know the condenser is the culprit. Upon thinking it was a refrigerant problem a short time ago I quickly found out there was a whole in the seam on the condenser.

I ordered a new condenser and it will be here middle next week. What I want to know is what is the best route to take when r&r the condenser? Will I need to flush the system once the r&r is complete? If so how do I go about doing that? Im thinking I may need to oil the system as well, and I dont know how to do that either so please fill me in if you may think its necessary.

I will be taking it to a mechanic to get the system charged up. But like all of us on this forum I want to minimize the cost of the repair thats why Im taking it upon my self.

If the system has been open for a while you should replace the dryer also,it has a desiccant pack in it and the system will work much better if you do.You need a touch of refrigerant oil for the O rings when you replace the condenser,just ask the guy who is going to recharge it for enough to lube 2 O rings.

You shouldn't need to flush it,when he evacuates the system it will remove the moisture and he can add the oil when he recharges you.:D

Ok so I will look into that. Still wanting to know what the best route for removal and reinstallation will be.

Here are the instructions for removal and replacement of the condenser:

Removal

Discharge the refrigerant from the air conditioning system.
Disconnect the compressor discharge line from the A/C condenser core and cap the openings to prevent the entry of dirt and moisture.
Disconnect the condenser to evaporator tube from the A/C condenser core. Cap the openings to prevent the entry of dirt and moisture.
Remove radiator and A/C condenser core from vehicle. Note: The A/C condenser core cannot be removed with the radiator in place.
Remove the bolt from the A/C condenser core U-nut.
Remove A/C condenser core buckle by squeezing the locking tabs and pulling.
Remove the A/C condenser core from the radiator by sliding the A/C condenser core tabs out of the locators.
Installation

Slide the A/C condenser core tabs into the locators on the radiator. Note: When an A/C condenser core is replaced, the suction accumulator/drier must be replaced.
Insert A/C condenser core buckle into radiator. Note: An audible click will be heard when the A/C condenser core buckle locks to the radiator
Install the bolt to the top of the A/C condenser core U-nut. Tighten bolt to 8.4-11.2 N-m (75-99 lb-in) .
Install the A/C condenser core and radiator.
Install the condenser to evaporator tube to the A/C condenser core stud. Tighten to 13.5 N-m (10 lb-ft) .
Install the A/C compressor discharge line to the A/C condenser stud. Tighten to 13.5 N-m (10 lb-ft) .
Charge the A/C system.
Operate the A/C system and check for proper operation.

I would also change the orifice tube when you change the accumulator/drier. You'll need the special tool to open the lines around the reciver:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd3290.html

good luck!

Back