Need a spare tire & Jack

Carpin

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
Hello,

I'm a new member here in the forum, it's awesome. Need some help guys.

I just bought a used 2001 Sport trac, it's great and really fun to drive, I'm ready to take it for a ride, but I don't have a spare tire and the original jack.

I knew about the missing spare tire and wheel but not about the jack and the accesories, it caught me out of guard, have the following questions: what size is the spare tire? is like the rest ? mine has the original size 255/70R16
What about the jack? I'd like to get the original including the iron bars, any idea in where to get it? I was thinking in a junk yard but I don't know how the jack looks like. A picture of it would be awesome, also the way in how they are arrenged under the rear seat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The jack stores behind the access door behind the back seat on the passenger's side. There might be a decal in there showing how it all goes in there. I got a jack from a '95 - 01 Explorer or Mountaineer, but I'm not sure the base of the jack has the correct cut-out to fit the bracket in the storage compartment.

I think I paid $3 or less for the one I got, which included the extension rods to lower the spare. Be sure to get the lug wrench which is also the jack handle. You may have to look through a lot of Explorers, though. The salvage yard I got to tends to pull most of the jacks out so people can't jack up cars in the lot. They're already up off the ground anyway.

Thanks for the help, but I'm still intrigued by the spare tire size, the service manual in the link mentions a tire rim 15, the original tires in the car are rim 16, my question is: does the 16 fits in the space for the spare?

Back