• Register Today It's free!

need a techs advise on this prob.

snooper0069

Reaction score
City, State
iowa,louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer sport
i have a 1993 explorer with the 4.0 engine. its also a 5 speed manuel tranny . the prob. i have is the rear end is a 3.27 which is a high rear end , i tow a camper and it is hard to gain speed due to the high rear end . im looking for a 3.73 rear end but in a junk yard they want $750 for one . would it be cheaper to just change the ring and pinion gears .

all i want to do is change out the center chunk on my explorer , are there other vehicles out there that use the same chunk as the explorer . this would at least give me more options to look at .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to easily have NEW 3.73s swapped in for $500 or less

$750 for a rear end? GEEZ!

You can find the gears online for about $150 + an install kit for about $80. The install will be the expensive part. Depending on who you find to do it, it will prolly cost $300-$500 to do the install. This is course is for only the rear. If you have 4wd which you prolly do, you will have to have the front done also or disconnect the front drive shaft.

Robb

Wow, glad I refreshed the page... Would've said the same general stuff... Listen to these guys...

Originally posted by morrisey0

The install will be the expensive part. Depending on who you find to do it, it will prolly cost $300-$500 to do the install.

If you have a two wheel drive, and all you need is the rear done, you probably can get it done cheaper. I had mine done recently, and the labor was $150. I had a shop that has a good reputation among the local Mustang crowd do the swap, since both the Explorer and the Mustang have an 8.8 rear end.

Back